The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

47 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: Vegetarian or vegan?
17 Apr 2013, 07:58
I'm vego for...24 yrs...had to work that out - love cheese too much to go vegan, but I have considered it. The best food is veggie and as I always say there are hundreds of veggies, heaps of herbs & spices...and a few types of meat...ohhhmmm ;>)
17 Apr 2013, 08:27
Hi, I'm a vegetarian and am in my second week and this week I'm fasting Monday and Thursday. Last week I made a batch of butternut squash and sweet potato chilli and the freezer is now full of very small portions which I bulk out with a small portion of rice for fast day dinners. Had a small portion of quorn curry with rice for this Mondays fast (don't want to get bored with the chilli), again with a small portion or rice. Breakfast is a banana and lunch soup. Val
17 Apr 2013, 09:35
I am not strictly a vegetarian, but I eat very little meat - most of my diet is vegetarian.
17 Apr 2013, 09:50
I agree about the huge variety of veg there are. My wife isn't veggie, so she has chicken breast with a roast every Sunday - while I ring the changes every week!

About carbs on fast days - my choice is a simple baked (or micro-waved) potato with a chilli or similar. You get almost twice as much - 72 cals for the potato versus 130 odd (from memory) for the rice.

Although I do like rice! :smile:
17 Apr 2013, 09:57
Wow there are heaps of us :smile: I have been veggie forever, have only done 2 fasts so far but already know I love this way of balance. 3rd fast tomorrow....... Can't wait !
17 Apr 2013, 10:12
I'm a vegetarian and halfway through my 5th week of the 5:2 diet. My fasting days are usually Monday and Thursday. I have a weightwatchers soup for lunch and a cottage cheese salad with a weightwatchers yogurt for dinner. I am thinking of cutting the soup out and trying to last until dinner, making it 24 hours without food.
17 Apr 2013, 10:17
5:2 is great for vegos as veggies are so low in calories...u COULD eat 3 cauliflowers! How full would u be?
17 Apr 2013, 14:50
I've been vegetarian for 20 years. My favorite fast day meal so far is vegan split pea soup with a red cabbage coleslaw. The soup is only 85cal per serving so the first fast day I made the soup, I ate 2 servings and felt sick from over eating! Still under 500 cals for the day too.
13 May 2013, 08:10
I've been a veggie all my life and I swear by lentils for protein since they are so much more filling than lots of other protein sorces and don't have as much fat either. They also come in lots of different forms.

As for recipes, I found the same problem with there being a lack of them out there so have started a blog up to document my 5:2 journey - the plan is for it to be a mix of fasting and feasting food.

I've been tinkering and learning for the last week and a half and would love some feedback on it either as a comment on the blog or a reply here.

http://bigcooktinykitchen.blogspot.co.uk/
13 May 2013, 08:52
Stoker face I liked your blog and recipes look yummy. My lemon tree is full of lemons turning yellow so nearly ready to turn into marmalade and preserves lemons. Thanks will use your recipe :smile:
13 May 2013, 09:15
Hi fellow veggies & Vegans,

I a veggie (Was vegan before having my kids but pregnancy and lack of organisation let me down).

I have been 5:2 'ing since january and have lost about a stone.
In the past I tried a few different diets and lost and put back on. This one really works for me as it is so flexible and manageable. I have found that the fact that nothing is off limits or 'bad' on a normal day takes away the temptation to binge. It's a way of life really and generally I now look forward to my fasting days.
29 May 2013, 13:22
Lady Jane, thanks for this post, it's good to hear that someone is still going strong after 6 months! I've just come back from a holiday on which I tried (and failed miserably) to stick to 5:2, back on track as of tomorrow though with my first fast day in 2 weeks!
29 May 2013, 16:06
Veggie for 99% of the last 38 odd years; leaning towards vegan but, like others, can't live without cheese. Sort-of tempted by trying low carb, having noticed that I bloat out after the usual culprits, but I do love nice bread...

The guy who did Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead has a good website with loads of juices and veggie / vegan recipes
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/rebooting/

(shhh... FSND is on youtube, not sure how long it will stay up, for obvious reasons)

Cheers, FatDog
05 Jun 2013, 11:41
I'm also 99% vegetarian and have been all my life. I love cheese which could be one of my biggest down falls and the only vegetable I dont like is raw celery.
I will occasionally eat fish, but have real problems with the meater fish. I'm not veggie out of moral principle (I often cook meat for my children), I just cannot stand the taste or texture of meat - the smell of cooking bacon does nothing except fill up my grill with gallons of smelly fat!!
So I'm on the hunt for veggie/vegan recipes.
05 Jun 2013, 12:11
If it weren't for the fact that twice or three times a week I eat a small piece of chicken breast, I would call myself vegetarian as I eat loads of pulses, nuts, seeds and fruit and veggies along with dairy products and eggs. Apart from an occasional home made cake or bread I steer clear of wheat products, potatoes, rice and other 'starchy vegetables'. No soy, tofu or other products. Just weighed myself and can't believe how much I have lost since 8 April without really trying. I just eat 3 small meals a day on the two fast days each week and eat healthily the remaining days. No alcohol, no caffeine BUT I do like my chocolate!
47 posts Page 3 of 4