The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all :)

I've just been chatting with our designer about the mobile version of the forum and have tried to raise with him the key problems with the current design when scaled down onto a mobile.

Just wanted to check if there are any key points I've missed - did my best to read through things and pick out the issues, but I don't want to miss something important - and I have a couple of days to be able to get back to him before things get finalised!

So, the two most important things I've noted to him are these:

- the links on the left (forum menu and user blogs) need to be more accessible as currently they wind up down the bottom of the screen, which is a pain to scroll down to.

- the font size is too small when viewed on a mobile device and could also benefit from being sans serif to make it clearer, possibly with the option of adjusting visible font size.

A couple of issues I am about to raise with the tech guys regarding fixing the responsive design up to work better on mobiles are:

- Occasional oddities with the screen width, sometimes things shrink a bit and head to the left, leaving a gap on the right (probably something to do with the dropdown menu on a mobile?)

- Can we hide the avatars to make for faster loading when the screen width is below a certain size? (eg: on a mobile device)

- The yellow bar gets in the way a bit when trying to post in landscape view on a mobile device as the keyboard (a necessity) also takes up a lot of screen!

I forgot to mention that we could do with a bit less whitespace on the topic/forum lists but will email him about that now. This may look better when the font is bigger anyway :)

Okay, now shout if I missed anything?
Re: Mobile version of the forum
18 Jun 2014, 15:41
Brilliant! Thank you Moogie.

Alex
18 Jun 2014, 15:47
Shouting @moogie Firstly when reading that post from you there was no yellow banner!! So I couldn't actually login this happens most of the time I had to touch on reply box to bring up the login which brings me to my Second issue I've never used my username on new forum I'm never given that option just a little niggle being on a mobile version and an old crock! Also never had the option if I wanted it to hide my online status, :shock:
Otherwise all OK providing the issues you've mentioned get fixed, many thanks moogie and team a job well done under such difficult circumstances and your email seems to have worked and bought a few AWOL members back.
:heart: :heart: :like: :clover: :victory: :heart: :clover: :like: :victory:
18 Jun 2014, 16:00
Just a wee general gripe... The red headings for unread, active etc. are way down there on my ipad too. So sometimes I don't bother having more of a browse. Maybe others find this as it is a but tumble weedy around here sometimes.
18 Jun 2014, 16:07
Thanks carrie, that is being addressed - they should come up to the top of the page on the new version :)

Sue.Q - how strange that the yellow bar is misbehaving, I shall inform @fast_jason
I hadn't spotted the lack of a 'hide online status' option as it's something I never really used so didn't miss! I'll make a note of that too!
18 Jun 2014, 17:16
The key things about the previous mobile view that were so helpful were:

* No avatars, and no signatures, so the text of the post fitted nicely on the screen
* Consistent font for posts across users - currently they are widely different, and some much harder to read than others
* A drop down menu at the top for unread/latest posts etc

Thanks
18 Jun 2014, 17:24
Although I am on a tablet I did not like the mobile view so did not use it. I hope I can still use the view we have now and it will not check the operating system and force me into mobile. That said, the View Active Topics, View Your Posts etc were on the left of the page and I prefer swiping over there to get at them than having to scroll to the bottom
18 Jun 2014, 19:56
Hi Moogie. I forgot to say and I don't know if it's my device but I find it difficult to get some things to respond such as when I want to go the next page or press on a heading.

Thanks again, Alex
18 Jun 2014, 21:30
barbarita wrote: Although I am on a tablet I did not like the mobile view so did not use it. I hope I can still use the view we have now and it will not check the operating system and force me into mobile. That said, the View Active Topics, View Your Posts etc were on the left of the page and I prefer swiping over there to get at them than having to scroll to the bottom

Agree - I would prefer an option to chose mobile or desktop view, rather than it making assumptions. But most of all I'd prefer an app, as these tend to be better optimized to a small screen than a mobile browser version
28 Jul 2014, 06:59
Hi - just popped by in the hope the mobile version was working so I can come back and start posting again - but it doesn't appear to be - is there any news please?
Hi everyone

Good news! We have a mobile version of the forum almost ready for testing :cool: . So, we'll need some volunteers to test it out and find all the bugs and gremlins!

If you fancy helping us with some testing can you please email forum@fastday.com to volunteer. Please include your username and also what mobile device and browser you use. The tech team will then email you with details of how to log onto the test forum (this is an old version of the forum so you won't see up to date posts I'm afraid so it will be a labour of love :grin: :heart: ).

Thanks in advance!
Caroline
Thanks to everyone who has volunteered, I'm just sorting out access/passwords for you with the tech guys and they or I will be responding ASAP with the details you need. Much obliged!
29 Aug 2014, 11:04
Minumonline wrote:

I would prefer an option to chose mobile or desktop view, rather than it making assumptions. But most of all I'd prefer an app, as these tend to be better optimized to a small screen than a mobile browser version

not sure if there is one as i can never get my password to work on the mobile..

is there not a "full site view" at bottom of the mobile site?

ahh the joys of making a site mobile responsive and working well on
desktop (in many resolutions)
landscape mobile
portrait mobile
landscape tablet/ipad
portrat tablet/ipad

i live and breathe this stuff on a 24 hours basis.

Can i test too?
@Juliana.Rivers, @minumonline I hope you will be volunteering to test the mobile version of the forum? We need lots of volunteers! Please email forum@fastday.com and we will send you details of how to access the test forum on your mobile device!
14 posts Page 1 of 1