The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Jelly from scratch
03 Oct 2013, 10:56
I love jelly. Strawberry, lime and pineapple jelly. The problem is, we can't find some here

So I was wondering, is it possible to make jelly from scratch ? I would love a recipe I could use on fast days to add a sweet note to my dinner, but I could use on triffles as well.

Re: Jelly from scratch
03 Oct 2013, 11:13
Hi Manderlay I thought you could using fresh fruit and
powdered gelatine
Think there's some recipes online by Delia Smith and your friend
Jamie Oliver. ( can't stand him myself ). Lol
Good Luck. :clover: Sue. :clover:
04 Oct 2013, 07:20
Thanks Sue, I thought about powered gelatine but don't have a clue about the proportions.

Jamie Oliver is not my friend :wink: , I prefer James Martin and another one I don't remember the name (an English one, how ironic :grin: ) and I didn't find a proper recipe on his site

The others recipes I found are more jam than wobly jelly. :frown:

Damned !
04 Oct 2013, 07:32
Here is an easy 'posh' one. Bet it would look lovely in wine glasses http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sparklingjelly_71535 Now edited to include an even easier one. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5316 ... ry-jellies but just spotted its for children to make! :doh:
04 Oct 2013, 09:04

The first one I will keep it for non fasts days, because of the booze.... Could be interesting as a dessert at sunday lunch :grin: :razz:

I found this one which seems to be easy, healthy and I could do for fasts days - without the chocolate, of course :wink:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12858/chocolate-orange-spider-jellies
04 Oct 2013, 09:10
Oh they look lovely. Very seasonal too! I did spot the scary halloween jellies on there but I thought the eyeballs were a bit too much......
04 Oct 2013, 09:14
A bit too much, it's exactly what I thought when I saw the eyeballs as well... :lol:

The orange recipe can be changed if I read correctly. In the commentaries, one said she replaced oranges with mango and the fact that the proportions are simple makes it even better. I will try tomorrow with clementines and half the proportions, we'll see how it goes :wink:

It's funny how I get excited with something so simple and basic :razz:
04 Oct 2013, 12:52
If you are still searching you could also try searching with the words "gelatin" or "jell-o" but that will probably take you to American recipes and american measurements.
04 Oct 2013, 12:57
Manderley wrote: Thanks :like:

The first one I will keep it for non fasts days, because of the booze.... Could be interesting as a dessert at sunday lunch :grin: :razz:

In the US we call the ones with booze "Jell-O Shots" great at parties and even some of the trendy beach bars serve jell-o shots... in big syringes! :grin:
04 Oct 2013, 13:07
like these for example ? :grin:

http://www.thecampuscompanion.com/party ... k68Nn9NIyU

I don't think I could eat/drink that, it must be nauseating, no ?

Can we put all the fruits we want in a jelly or are there some off limits ? (apple, pineapple and, let's be crazy, bananas for example)
04 Oct 2013, 13:15
Thanks for the link! My sister serves them at block parties but I never really knew how to make them. :)

They are delicious but since they go down sooooo easy you have to be careful because they do pack a punch! ;)
04 Oct 2013, 13:30
A bit like the only cocktail I ever drank, the Long Island Ice Tea. OMG I still remember it 15 years later..... :evil:

They seem really easy to make. Too easy maybe... I googled jello shots and here I was on the page, you're very welcome :razz:
04 Oct 2013, 13:33
Lol yeah they can sneak up on you just like the Long Island ice tea!
04 Oct 2013, 14:10
As a child we always had jellies with sliced bananas - I still love them Btw don't add fresh pineapple because it stops the jelly from setting although canned is ok and doesn't stop it setting. I believe that kiwi and mango do the same. I want to eat trifle now!!
04 Oct 2013, 14:19
Could you all stop there right now coz I'm fasting today :shock:
And dhana i can now smell+taste the trifle :?: Sue :clover:
22 posts Page 1 of 2