The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Pangasias alert
26 Jul 2013, 08:52
I though that I would go low cal but high protein for fasting meal yesterday and cooked Hugh FWs fillet baked in foil with fennel, ginger and chilli. Sofar so good, shopped in the local Delhaize supermarket for some sustainable white fish. Lighted upon Pangasias, which seemed to fit the bill.
Recipe delicious even if a little too much fennel for Dearly Beloved.
Started to feel headachy and nauseous during the evening and put myself to bed. I had such a headache that I really thought this was it, my brother having died a few years ago from an aggressive glioma at the same age I am now.
Was crying with the pain, terribly hot and then feeling nauseous. At last the vomiting came and, although hating it, it was a real relief. Managed to get to sleep eventually, and woke up with a mild headache, needing a lot of water.

Looked it up on the internet, which i shall leave you all to check out yourselves. Briefly its a type of catfish bred in rather toxic conditions in Vietnam although the packaging did not state where it came from. Unusually for me, as I am a bit of an eco warrior, I still bought it. Many have reported the same symptoms.
It is very popular in France, and I am in Luxembourg. Apparently it is used in processed fish stuff, like surimi, crab sticks (the food of the devil) and other things, SO BE WARNED!!!
Recovering well with a wholesome bowl of Scottish muesli and a home made shortbread biscuit.
Re: Pangasias alert
26 Jul 2013, 09:09
I've heard about people having a bad reaction to this fish, they call it Panga in France and I spent ages trying to find out what it was when I first saw it. When I read how it was farmed I was glad I hadn't bought any. Didn't realise it was in Surimi so will have to read the ingredients carefully before buying in future.

Hope you're feeling better now.
26 Jul 2013, 09:18
Thank you for the warning because we eat a lot of fish but I haven't come across this fish although I have before now eaten crab sticks, so I will avoid both. Glad you are feeling better now Hellengerin you must have felt very concerned feeling so ill.
26 Jul 2013, 09:30
Gosh sounds awful - I try and buy sustainable fish and have never heard of that one but will keep my eyes peeled.

Glad you're feeling better - horrible and scary being ill when you don't know what it is.
26 Jul 2013, 09:42
Sorry to hear of your experience. Hubby and I don't eat fish, we keep them as pets and sometimes go catch them for the pleasure of seeing them. I'd love to have a tank big enough for a pangasius sharkcat, they're beautiful fish!
26 Jul 2013, 09:43
Scary stuff, you think you're eating healthily and that happens. Must have been horrible for you, especially with what happened to your brother. I am wondering why the government food safety agencies haven't stepped in? I always avoid farmed fish from Vietnam, China and don't buy the prawns from there either. I don't trust them. :curse: langustines caught in Scotland are delicious and worry free! (I think!)
26 Jul 2013, 11:01
:clover: Hope you are feeling a little better today, thanks for the warning never heard of that one, have tried river cobbler that few people rave about but didn't like either white or smoked, now stear clear of types not known to me :like: Sue
26 Jul 2013, 11:17
Hope you feel better today...

I think it's so popular because it's cheap and to find fresh and cheap fish is more and more difficult these days. I never tasted it, I only eat trout and salmon (not the farm ones, the other ones) because it's the only ones I find tasty anyway but I know that panga can be find almost everywhere now
26 Jul 2013, 13:00
WOW! It is one of my favourite fish, assuming that it is the same with pangasius.
26 Jul 2013, 13:24
I recently bought River Cobbler from a well known reputable British supermarket beginning with the letter S. I loved it and then the same evening I looked it up online. Oh maaaan, I had fed it to the family but none of us suffered thankfully. I will never buy it again. I think it must be the same as Pangasias. Hope you're feeling better.
26 Jul 2013, 14:14
I hate fish! :lol: :shock: :geek:

Ballerina x :heart:
26 Jul 2013, 14:52
Yes it should be spelt " pangasius"...

Will be careful in future about the sourcing of dodgy fish...really need a French English culinary dictionary...
Have good weekend everyone!
26 Jul 2013, 15:07
I brought this once, having a family of fish lovers, didn't like it, rest of the family did though. Suffered with dodgy tummy after, will not be buying it again.
26 Jul 2013, 15:27
I cook with pengasius a lot and never felt ill from it. Sorry that you got poorly :(

Here is a link that might balance out the other stuff.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30133.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basa_fish
26 Jul 2013, 17:09
It's very weird, pagasius is a very popular filleted fish here and, imo, it is the most tasty of them all...
16 posts Page 1 of 2