The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

24 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Peanut butter
07 Oct 2013, 15:40
Ooopsss sorry... :grin:

I'll try adding salted butter caramel instead of honey and cocoa powder, it should be to die for
07 Oct 2013, 15:47
I made some spicy Chipotle peanuts, a great snack, not low on calories though.
07 Oct 2013, 16:21
People!! Not one but two topic threads on Peanut Butter! What gives??

Some of us poor folk are fasting today! And there are even pictures being posted - arrrgh! :bugeyes:

Thank goodness I developed a slight allergy to peanuts in my thirties (nothing serious, but enough to give me a bad tummy ache) so I can't eat it any more. But as far as favourite foods go, peanut butter is up there with Nutella - and some of those lads I had crushes on years ago - gorgeous but deadly. (Um ... not that those lads were food, but ... :wink: )

Seriously - peanut butter has about a zillion calories and (in my case anyway) it goes straight to the bum! Avoid!!!
:lol:
07 Oct 2013, 16:35
As it's written in the first link I posted (the one frome livestrong), there's 116cal for 2tbsp and a lot of good things in it like proteins and good fat. It's high in fiber and low in carbs. So as long as one eat it with moderation, it's all good :wink:
07 Oct 2013, 17:20
I have done a quick and cheap peanut butter, though not very additive free, with supermarkets own brand, budget salted peanuts. I lightly rubbed the excess salt off with a kitchen towel and just crushed the life out of them in a mortal and pestle. It was hard work, but really yummy when it was a snowed in Christmas and I had no peanut butter in the house, but I did have these cheap peanuts.
07 Oct 2013, 17:23
You just add water to the powder. I was more interested in it as an ingredient when cooking, as I prefer crunchy peanut butter.

Our favourite brand of peanut butter is Jif - available from Ocado, but we both limit our intake he because of the calories and two, because Jif contains hydrogenated fat. Yes, I know, BUT, we eat so little of it, frankly we're not worried :grin:
07 Oct 2013, 18:12
I'm not sure that peanut butter is actually healthy. My sister is a doctor and at one of the conferences she attended one of the researchers fed their rats a steady diet of peanut butter in order to induce heart disease in the rats. So... maybe a little peanut butter is OK. But perhaps not daily peanut butter.
07 Oct 2013, 18:20
Maybe it depends on the additives and others junk put on it ? In this case, it's only homemade peanut butter with high quality bio peanuts. Anyway, as I only eat some on breakfast and only have 1 breakfast a week, it won't be a lot :wink:
07 Oct 2013, 18:34
This is so unfair - I'm fasting. These days I usually break my fast with a breakfast of homemade wholemeal toast with real butter and crunchy peanut butter.

I also make a delicious spicy peanut soup - it is basically diced veg in a chicken stock , chilli powder and crunchy peanut butter - yum.
24 posts Page 2 of 2