The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

37 posts Page 1 of 3
I think I have mastered the art of porridge after a good month of trying and researching it. Anyway this morning's looked and tasted so good i just had to share. I only do porridge on a non-fast day and if i miss it for breakfast it will be lunch or even dessert at night.

I have created my own special porridge mixture which i make up with equal portions of..
    * Macro brand Porridge mix with Rolled Oats, Rolled Triticale, Rolled Barley, Rolled Rye, Rolled Rice .. the brand is Macro by Woolworths. http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/sho ... n-porridge, i guess there would be similar in the States, UK and other countries, or you can buy the components individually. Triticale in particular gives it a nutty flavour, a bit unconventional but lovely

* Rolled oats (standard)

* Fine oatmeal

I cook it with 100% full milk with about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, bring it to the boil in a non stick saucepan and keep it just on the simmer for about 5 minutes. I will add milk if its needed along the way. The one photographed, i added 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 chopped pear in last 2 minutes. In last 2 minutes I will also add a pinch of salt. not sure why but apparently its essential.. and never at the beginning.

I serve it with maple syrup or demerara sugar and about teaspoon of good honey. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of cream.

As a "do not buy packaged/prepared food" advocate I particularly detest those instant porridge meals in a packet. Too sweet, too artificial. Put a berry flavoring in them and it makes me want to gag. Honestly you dont really save much time. Even the instant boxed porridge/Quick oats is unnecessary.

some of my references.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... t-porridge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1TcTGMePJo

and its good for you!
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefit ... -1963.html

As I dont do porridge on fast days, I dont pay attention to the calories (i so love this WOL)

my pic.
porridge.jpg

Do you have any tricks with porridge or special recipes?
Do you eat it daily?
Do you eat it on your fast day?
Did you used to "never eat porridge" and only start eating it during the 5:2/16:8/IF journey (like me)
I LOVE my breakfast... for me it is the best meal of the day and I always wake up hungry.

I buy jumbo oats which take around 10 mins to cook. But I put the milk in and pre-soak the oats for at least half an hour before I put it on the hob to cook. I have mine with unsweetened almond milk and a little Stevia as a base, but then I have fun adding to the mix, depending on what I fancy.

Options I alternate are: 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 20g raisins or sultanas. Sometimes I will add 50g grated carrot. Or grated apple. Or have plain porridge and slice a banana on the top. Or add 30g of Omega Sprinkle (which is a mix of pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseeds) I love the variety that a plain porridge base can give me.
Porridge is a great fast day dinner as it completely fills you up. I am a rotten and unimaginative cook (OH is the house chef) but I like raisins in it.
I have a couple of porridge/oatmeal recipes I make when I feel like having a change from regular porridge.

Cranberry & Ginger Oatmeal:
Serves 1

1/2 cup rolled oats
2 heaped tbsp dried cranberries
1 tbsp slivered/flaked almonds
1 tbsp chopped stem ginger
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 generous pinch cinnamon
1 generous pinch cardamom (I used ground ginger instead as I love ginger)

Put all ingredients in saucepan and add 1 cup water. Heat until creamy. Add milk or Greek yoghurt if desired or if it needs a bit more liquid. Serve immediately

We love ginger so really love this for a change
I do mine in the crockpot overnight. We make enough for the week & folks just take out what they want & add "fixings".
1 c. Steel cut oats
1/2 c wheatberries
1/2 c quinoa
5 cups water
1 cup chopped dried apples
1/4 c currants
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 T vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Put all in crockpot, stir, cook on high 1 hour, then switch to low for 6 hours.
According to MFP, this makes 8- 223 cal servings.
I don't add any kind of sweetener, folks doctor it up when they heat it.
JAMC wrote: I have a couple of porridge/oatmeal recipes I make when I feel like having a change from regular porridge.

Cranberry & Ginger Oatmeal:
Serves 1

1/2 cup rolled oats
2 heaped tbsp dried cranberries
1 tbsp slivered/flaked almonds
1 tbsp chopped stem ginger
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 generous pinch cinnamon
1 generous pinch cardamom (I used ground ginger instead as I love ginger)

Put all ingredients in saucepan and add 1 cup water. Heat until creamy. Add milk or Greek yoghurt if desired or if it needs a bit more liquid. Serve immediately

We love ginger so really love this for a change

Never thought of ginger before. Thanks for the idea. Hmmm that will help satisfy my current crystallised ginger obsession.

Sometimes i add ground almonds too as I can get it in bulk.

Oh and i love cardoman with anything and might try it (crushing a cardomon pod into the porridge maybe for a bigger zing.)
MLCDz wrote: I do mine in the crockpot overnight. We make enough for the week & folks just take out what they want & add "fixings".
1 c. Steel cut oats
1/2 c wheatberries
1/2 c quinoa
5 cups water
1 cup chopped dried apples
1/4 c currants
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 T vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
Put all in crockpot, stir, cook on high 1 hour, then switch to low for 6 hours.
According to MFP, this makes 8- 223 cal servings.
I don't add any kind of sweetener, folks doctor it up when they heat it.

YUMMM!
Domane wrote: I LOVE my breakfast... for me it is the best meal of the day and I always wake up hungry.

I buy jumbo oats which take around 10 mins to cook. But I put the milk in and pre-soak the oats for at least half an hour before I put it on the hob to cook. I have mine with unsweetened almond milk and a little Stevia as a base, but then I have fun adding to the mix, depending on what I fancy.

Options I alternate are: 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 20g raisins or sultanas. Sometimes I will add 50g grated carrot. Or grated apple. Or have plain porridge and slice a banana on the top. Or add 30g of Omega Sprinkle (which is a mix of pumpkin, sunflower, sesame and linseeds) I love the variety that a plain porridge base can give me.

Carrots is intersting, as is your Omega sprinkle. ill give it a go. and sometimes it is just nice doing it just very plain. Comfort food.
Babyfish wrote: Porridge is a great fast day dinner as it completely fills you up. I am a rotten and unimaginative cook (OH is the house chef) but I like raisins in it.

i guess it can work that way for some. What calories would it have (in the quantity you have) out of curiousity. Sometimes i make a huge bowl.
Another breakfast I make in the weekend which uses porridge oats is:

Quick Banana Breakfast

Serves 2

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 bananas sliced
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup pomegranate or red grape juice
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp dried currants or blueberries (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a small microwave-proof bowl. Heat in microwave for 3 minutes.

I don't have a microwave so put all ingredients in saucepan and cook gently, adding either milk or more juice as needed to prevent sticking to the saucepan

This is also good for a breakfast on the go and can be eaten either hot or cold
Here's an idea for 'Summer Porridge' for the readers currently enjoying summer!

Serves 2

75g rolled oats
200 ml water
150g natural low fat yoghurt
1 tbsp sultanas
1-2 tbsp runny honey
1 banana
2 unpeeled apples (either green or mixture red & green apples)

In a large bowl soak the rolled oats in the wart for 30 mins (maybe while having a shower?). Drain off any excess water and add the yoghurt, sultanas and honey, mixing well. Slice most of the banana directly into the bowl and toss through.

Grate the apples directly into the bowl and toss through. Divide the porridge between two bowls, slice the remaining banana over the top and serve.

You can top the porridge with spoonful of mixed linseed, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds for added goodness
I love porridge but only have it rarely now. Had it for breakfast everyday for years.
One of my favourite ways was 30gm steel cut oats with 200ml soya milk microwaved for 4mins then slice in a banana and some cocoa powder and microwave for another minute. Otherwise it is omega 3 seed mix and/or mixed nuts. I had breakfast around 0630 and was always hungry by 1030. Now I don't have breakfast and don't start to get hungry until around lunchtime - strange.
Mine is very simple and plain:

Makes 2 smallish servings:

1/4 cup Bob's Mill 5-grain cereal http://www.bobsredmill.com/5-grain-rolled-cereal.html
1/4 cup fine oat bran
3/4 cup milk
handful of raisins
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it thickens and bubbles.

I eat mine with a little milk and a Tablespoon of wheat germ on top. No sweeteners of any kind. The raisins seem to be enough for flavor and sweetening. I rarely tire of this and it must fill me up because I never eat between breakfast and lunch. This is filling enough for me to share with OH (he usually supplements with toast or fig bars or something)
Blimey and there's me thinking porridge was really bad for you

Bean :confused:
nursebean wrote: Blimey and there's me thinking porridge was really bad for you

Bean :confused:

Gosh, no! Oats are a brilliant breakfast.... they are complex carbohydrates so take ages to be digested... they're also low GI and good for fibre and your digestive system. And of course they are totally natural with nothing added so no hidden sugars or anything like that.

I, personally, am not a fan of the sachets you can get like Oat-so-Simple. To me the actual oats are chopped up really small (I guess that's how they get away with being cooked so quickly) And I REALLY don't care for the flavoured ones... now they ARE full of sugar and calories! I much prefer to add my own natural flavourings....
37 posts Page 1 of 3