The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Schwarzwald kirsche!
30 Aug 2013, 10:39
As a child we used to visit the Netherlands a couple of times a year to see my Oma (Dutch grandmother). She would always have loads of treats for my sister and I - tiger roll, chocolate seashells and black forest gateau (or Schwarzwald kirsche as we always had to call it).

These things have remained firm favourites throughout my life - I can happily eat my way through a box of chocolate seashells in a day, or at least I could pre-5:2. Over Christmas I made a box last 3 days and was most proud (and still felt a bit sick!).

When I started 5:2 I promised myself that 'if' I hit my goal I'd buy a black forest gateau and firmly plant my face in it. I didn't really think I'd ever be able to lose so much weight.

Now I know food rewards aren't the best of ideas, but this is something Fat Moogie promised herself and Thinner Moogie intends to keep that promise, if only because the husband has been dying to see this moment (and probably video it to share with the interwebs). It's certainly not something I'd do regularly and would rather reward myself with jewellery or something for the kitchen generally speaking.

But my goal draws near. I'm 300g away from it today and I wonder if next weekend I could see the magic 65kg on the scales. Not the ultimate, final goal, but a weight I'd be happy if I could maintain in the long term nonetheless. I'd like to get down to around 60kg eventually, but 65kg was my realistic target.

So, I've had no black forest gateau since my pre 5:2 days and now it is calling to me. I'm not going to make one, I've never tried and I suspect it wouldn't come out that well. I need to know which shop does the best version of this delicious treat! I was thinking M&S might be good. Then I thought maybe we should travel to London and get one from Harrods or F&M... but that seems a little outrageous.

So, where do you think does the best one? I half wonder if Aldi might be the place, being from the right part of the world.
Re: Schwarzwald kirsche!
30 Aug 2013, 10:49
When you find out, let us all know. I loved BFG!

Black Forest Trifle is easy to make, and the next best thing in my opinion...
30 Aug 2013, 10:55
Trifle version would probably be a rather messier faceplant though ;) Would love the recipe for another occasion if you don't mind sharing.
30 Aug 2013, 11:21
Hi Moogie

You have done so fantastically well, inspirational.

I have to say that Patisserie Valeria do a lovely black forest gateau (and deliver!)

http://www.patisserie-valerie.co.uk/p11 ... ateau.aspx

Where ever you get one from - enjoy the huge achievement it represents :star: :star: :star:
30 Aug 2013, 11:25
Oh I am so looking forward to seeing this. I hope we will be party to this interweb sharing!
And extremely well done, congratulations etc for getting just about there!
PS no idea who could do a good cake/gateau for you- sorry
30 Aug 2013, 11:37
Ah, Moogie, I'd make you one (I make a very good one, honestly) if you lived closer. :-)

If you are considering London, Harrods IS the place to go.
30 Aug 2013, 12:11
Well done for nearly reaching your goal. I'd say M&S all the way.
30 Aug 2013, 14:30
I know that Betty's have just unveiled their new autumn range

bettys.co.uk

yum yum yum yum yum.......(I'll just float away in a chocolate dream now!)
30 Aug 2013, 21:15
Well, this is exciting, can't wait for the piccies! I bet you are really desperate to get there now it s so close, good luck and let us all know IMMEDIATELY your goal has been achieved, :like:

Ballerina x :heart:
30 Aug 2013, 21:23
300g OMG :shock:

That is less than TML's 1 pound :shock:

Moogie this is just toooooo exciting :victory: :victory: :victory:

(P.S. unfortunately I suspect that said gateau was better in memory/anticipation than reality)
30 Aug 2013, 21:27
Didn't you hear? I lost it!!! :-)
30 Aug 2013, 21:27
Got to change my signature, heh?
30 Aug 2013, 21:31
Well done Moogie you're an inspiration to us all and I'm sure you will get there in the week ahead, I personally wouldn't waste any on my face it would have to go down the neck !!! But I would enjoy seeing pics or the video :grin: Love BFG always preferred Sara Lee. ( Iceland 100 yrs ago )
Don't think I've seen any for few years so think M&S would be best bet. But you deserve a treat so if it was me I'd let TML make you one then you could eat your Greek Salad lunch followed by her home made BFG siting on her balcony in the sun. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Sue
13 posts Page 1 of 1