The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

21 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: The Incredible Spice Men
26 Aug 2013, 16:39
clairemarie wrote: BooHoo, I can't view the show in US. Someone share?

Try this article containing three simple recipes:

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/lifesty ... en-5766737
27 Aug 2013, 10:34
Oh dear, I fear I'm going to be a lone voice here but... I hated it! It barely held my interest even though I stuck out the full 30 minutes. I don't really want to see traditional British dishes mucked around with like they did - they are traditional for a reason! I love spice but in the dishes where it is supposed to be.

Shoot me now...
27 Aug 2013, 12:52
Mince and tatties spiced up? No thanks, although a wee bit of pepper is nice. Know what you mean - the thought of a Lancashire hotpot with a bit of cumin or ginger doesn't appeal to me either. Interestingly though, "traditional" dishes used to be crammed with spices like ginger, cloves, nutmeg, saffron, galangal,cinammon etc. there was a huge food revolution in this country when spices were brought here and they were used extensively and imaginatively in all sorts of dishes. Often they were used to mask foods that had gone "off" and it was mostly the rich and better off who used them. Common use of spices in meat dishes lessened too when we had better access to fresh foods but we still have lots of reminders of traditional spices in things like ginger pudding, gingerbreads, plum duff, Christmas cakes, mince pies (which did use meat traditionally). The only "traditional" savoury dishes I can now think of is bay leaves and bouquet garnis in casseroles etc. and juniper berries with venison and duck. And mulled wine of course, (roll on Christmas!).
27 Aug 2013, 19:34
Vildekhaya wrote: Oh dear, I fear I'm going to be a lone voice here but... I hated it! It barely held my interest even though I stuck out the full 30 minutes. I don't really want to see traditional British dishes mucked around with like they did - they are traditional for a reason! I love spice but in the dishes where it is supposed to be.

Shoot me now...

On the basis of last night, sadly I agree with you. Last week was fab & the book is great but last night was a bit unexciting. Hopefully back onto main courses next week (although in your place I probably wouldn't gibe them another chance !!!)
27 Aug 2013, 20:31
Silverdarling wrote:
SianS wrote: You could join me on a Tuesday fast, when you can be tormented by the new series of Great British Bake Off :curse:

Thanks for this Sian! :like: :like: i will avoid Tuesday fasting from now on :bugeyes: :wink:

Haha! :shock: :wink: fasting today of course, and what day is it? Tuesday ... :shock: :shock:
28 Aug 2013, 06:43
I didn't watch it again, AnnieD - I watch a fair bit of telly for work so I'm quite selective when it comes to watching for myself. I actually saw the first episode on preview and for once didn't leapfrog through it as I kept hoping it would improve, but no... I'm not terribly loyal to cookery programmes, much as I'm borderline-obsessed with cooking, because most of them are aspirational rather than practical and are more about the chefs than the food.
21 posts Page 2 of 2