The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

26 posts Page 1 of 2
Photos of your food!
01 Feb 2013, 13:17
P1010253 (800x600) mini lunch.jpg
Loadsa salad!
P1010253 (800x600) mini lunch.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 1545 times

A picture speaks a thousand words, so let's inspire ourselves. I'm no photographer, but this was lunch.

Under 200 cals! 4 crabsticks, 60g light cottage cheese, 15ml Kraft light dressing and too many salad item to eat, so I left some...
It's not a fast day today, but I really fancied a salad!
Re: Photos of your food!
01 Feb 2013, 13:27
Forgot about crabsticks, brilliant in a salad
28 Aug 2013, 20:50
Quorn bolognaise on a bed of courgette spaghetti... 254 calories :)
28 Aug 2013, 21:07
Domane wrote: Image
Quorn bolognaise on a bed of courgette spaghetti... 254 calories :)

Hi Domane, this looks delicious. I keep reading about various types of vegetable "spaghetti". I want to try some but everytime I look in the kitchen shops or on Amazon I get confused as to what I need ro purchase. What gadget did you use to slice the courgettes so finely, please?
Ginge
28 Aug 2013, 21:40
If it was me I would try and use a lemon zester for speed. But I don't know if it would work, mainly because I think the slices would be too small. Other than that a steady hand and a decent knife can work wonders.
28 Aug 2013, 21:51
Juliathome: Ha ha, you haven't seen me with knives . . . a positive hazard where "Shellac" is concerned but will try - whilst keeping newly applied Shellac away from line of fire!

Other than Juliathome's two suggestions can anyone else name the gadget I should buy to cut julienne strips of vegetables, please?
28 Aug 2013, 23:05
Another way to do it is to use a veg peeler to make thin, flat strips of courgette (also works with carrot etc)...not quite spaghetti, more wide tagliatelle! I then fry the strips for a few mins just to heat them up :)
29 Aug 2013, 01:09
Yummy thread idea Penny! :)
29 Aug 2013, 10:20
29 Aug 2013, 23:25
I have mandoline 9i think thats what its called) its a grater with changable blades that does allsorts of shapes. its one of those gadgets that worked its way to the back of the cupboard over the years.
29 Aug 2013, 23:41
Julieathome wrote: I have mandoline 9i think thats what its called) its a grater with changable blades that does allsorts of shapes. its one of those gadgets that worked its way to the back of the cupboard over the years.

I've got one of those hiding somewhere. They do work, but somehow the novelty wears off!
30 Aug 2013, 02:32
When I was eating on fasting days, this was a typical meal.
200g grilled zucchini (30kcal), 200g butternut squash (80kcal), 80g steamed broccoli (24kcal), 3oz grilled chicken breast (92kcal). 226 kcal dinner, yummy. Image

dinnerfitforaking.jpg
A delicious fasting day dinner.
30 Aug 2013, 03:05
@ julieathome

This is the mandoline that I have. The manufacturer is Bron Coucke and it is fantastic. It would make quick work of the julienne courgette.

I use it for so many things; cooked beets, raw potatoes, carrots, courgette. You can plain slice and crinkle cut at various thicknesses, make batonettes and julienne, various thicknesses.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bron-Coucke-49830-60-Professional-mandoline/dp/B003M2Y1L2/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1377831237&sr=1-3&keywords=Bron+Coucke

mandoline.jpg
Made in France by Bron Coucke
30 Aug 2013, 04:35
My Asian style beef and noodle soup with quail eggs.
30 Aug 2013, 04:43
bobbyd98683 wrote: @ julieathome

This is the mandoline that I have. The manufacturer is Bron Coucke and it is fantastic. It would make quick work of the julienne courgette.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bron-Coucke-49830-60-Professional-mandoline/dp/B003M2Y1L2/ref=sr_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1377831237&sr=1-3&keywords=Bron+Coucke

mandoline.jpg

now thats a mandolin! mines a simple Japanese one.
26 posts Page 1 of 2