The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

36 posts Page 3 of 3
GMH. Sorry to throw the cat amongst the pigeons BUT.......although I am fully aware of this being the 5:2 forum, where calories are counted on 2 days per week to equate to about 25% of any one of the other 5 days' intake........weight loss and maintenance have very little to do with calories in : calories out, it is far more to do with the ratio of fats:protein:carbohydrate consumption.
If you can research the work about this important ratio, I feel sure you will find it interesting, and very informative.
http://nutiva.com/the-nutiva-kitchen/co ... l-recipes/ put a fairly low smoke point on their product - 350 F or 177 C. I fry with coconut oil all the time and don't have issues with it smoking - I just adjust the ring to suit.

Wikipedia has a higher smoke point for "refined" CCO.

The Alzheimer's thing I suspect is a ketogenic diet (also used for epilepsy) with >60% of calories from fats and oils. In http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMw3d3ohx_s the guy was taking 30g of COO in a yoghurt smoothie for breakfast (270 calories). Also referred to someone taking 45g * 3 times a day (1215 calories !)
Bruce Fife wrote a book titled, The Coconot Oil Miracle. It is a great read! It explains in great detail why coconut oil is good for you...explains since it is a medium chain fatty acid, your body reacts different to it that other oils. Honestly, I can say adding it to coffee doesn't appeal to me, as I don't like to just add fat to be adding it. I like to use healthy fats in place of less healthy fats.

Try some on popcorn, yummm...takes like the popcorn in movie theaters when I was young.
Izzy, couldn't wait for wi-fi to watch videos, so read the texts of Dr Bruce Fife's interviews. It is all coming back to me what I read a few years ago, and is very impressive. I have gone a long way down the diabetes spiral, and am now heading back to improved health. I will certainly increase my use of coconut oil, and one test will be to check my blood sugar before, and 30 minutes after consuming the oil, just to see if his claims hold up for me too. If they do not, I will still not dismiss the oil, as it may well work for others, and, indeed, there are other benefits associated with it.
I shall be interested to hear how you get on - I am sat with a coffee with coconut oil in place of milk as we speak. As an aged athlete (sort of) I am keen to find anything that might give me the slightest advantage - as long as it is reasonably legal!
140lbs wrote: GMH. Sorry to throw the cat amongst the pigeons BUT.......although I am fully aware of this being the 5:2 forum, where calories are counted on 2 days per week to equate to about 25% of any one of the other 5 days' intake........weight loss and maintenance have very little to do with calories in : calories out, it is far more to do with the ratio of fats:protein:carbohydrate consumption.
If you can research the work about this important ratio, I feel sure you will find it interesting, and very informative.
36 posts Page 3 of 3