The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

17 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: What about frozen fruits ?
28 Jan 2014, 08:21
Moogie wrote: I watched a food documentary last year which had people blind taste tested for cooked fresh and frozen veg (okay, not fruit, but same deal) - they actually preferred the frozen. Apparently it is frozen so quickly after being harvested it's actually fresher than most fresh stuff by the time you buy it & use it. So, defo as good for nutrition & flavour, and a convenient option too :)

I prefer most of my vegs frozen (and uncooked), even the sprouts which I was very anxious to cook the first time I tried last Christmas. When you live alone it would be impossible to have a whole cauli or a whole broccoli or you would have to eat the same week all week.....

For the fruits, the first I tried were melon during winter and damn that was so good I even didn't let it to defrost before tasting its wonder. And the good news is you know exactly how many calories you eat (50 cal and 9g carbs for 130g pineapple) and that's very useful on a fast day. As I tend to have some sugary cravings, I know I still have that at the end of my fast without feeling guilty
@PennyforthemI would love your pineapple chutney recipe, I can put pineapple anywhere, I even disgust my friends when I put it on my pizza :grin:

Still love my parent' raspberries however, they don't have time to lose any vitamins as they go directly from the tree to my mouth :grin:

Will defenitly try the frozen yogurt when it'll be warmer :wink:
Re: What about frozen fruits ?
28 Jan 2014, 08:35
Definitely not a fast day recipe and I've never tried it but...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3107 ... late-sauce

I like to have berries etc in the freezer for smoothies/ice creams as described above. You can also dollop natural yogurt on top of frozen berries for a low cal and reasonably filling pud/snack that takes ages to eat (use low fat greek yogurt if on a fast day). It's what used to get me through my fast days! The frozen acidy berries put my teeth on edge a bit though.
17 posts Page 2 of 2