The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

20 posts Page 1 of 2
TDEE/BMR
16 May 2013, 07:58
I'm a little confused about all the different guidelines and was hoping for some guidance.
I fasted yesterday and the day before that and so am on a "normal" day today and until next Monday most likely which is when I plan to have my next fast.

I am 5ft tall and weigh 120lbs, I'd like to get to 110lbs in approx 8weeks.
I have looked at several calculators and my TDEE is 1569, my BMR is 1307. To create a deficit of 3500cals a week (hopefully one pound loss approx), do I need to knock 500 off my TDEE per day or my BMR, but taking into account that I'm only eating 500 cals on fast days, do I need to knock calories off my TDEE (or BMR) at all during non fasts?

Sorry for the confusion, basically I need to know how much I can eat on non fasting days to lost a little over a pound a week.

Thanks in anticipation, Melissa
Re: TDEE/BMR
16 May 2013, 08:03
In your progress tracker, it will advise of your TDEE sedentary & active and your fast day calorie intake as recommended to get the results you are looking for, Hope this helps.
16 May 2013, 08:06
Thankyou, apparently 362 on a fast day not 500 yikes :(
16 May 2013, 08:08
Yes I was suprised when I saw my individual amounts - Don't get too hung up on it - my days have varied and I've still done well x
16 May 2013, 08:22
I struggled on 500! Doubt I can do two consecutive 362 cal days, 500 wasn't too bad though x
16 May 2013, 08:34
if you're using 5:2 for calorie reduction the basic plan is to eat for weight maintenance 5 days a week (average your TDEE) and eat about 500 (f) on 2 days a week.

The calorie deficit is created by the two days restriction alone.

Example - TDEE of 1500 * 7 days = 10500 cals per week

5 days at 1500, 2 days at 500 = 8500 cals per week

Deficit = 2000 cals per week or just under 300 per day. Approx weight loss 0.6 lbs/week.
16 May 2013, 08:43
Thanks Phil. So it's really just a simple calculation, the deficit you create = amount lost (based on 3500cals = 1lb).

My normal TDEE is 1569
1569 x 7 = 10983/wk

Based on weight loss calculations
(1445 x 5) + (2 x 362) = 7949

Weekly deficit of 3034, about 0.9lb per week, does this sound about right?

Cheers
16 May 2013, 08:49
yep, that's the conventional assumption at 3500 cals per lb (which in itself assumes about 70% of the weight lost is fat).
16 May 2013, 08:50
Hi
That sounds about right, i'm similar to you, on the short side and have 8lbs to go :wink:
I seems to have ended up doing 4:3, but on average try and do it so that my weekly calories are 3000 less than they should be, so my fast days i have kept to around 500, but have lowered my feed day calories to compensate
I must say, this week is not going well for me though :cry:
On a fast today, but having a freind over tomorrow for dinner which will include wine, Friday is normally my last fast of the week, plus i seem to have comsumed far too much wine this week! Ah well, if i resign my self to not losing this week, it will be a nice surprise if i do!! :razz:

Good luck PlateauPrincess :clover:
16 May 2013, 08:59
Thanks everyone! Lulabella did you used to do WeightWatchers with a recipe blog? X
16 May 2013, 09:07
Hi - i did do weightwatchers, about 5 years ago, but i have never done a blog, i'm not sure i would know how LOL!! I used to pop on the community and chat - bit like this!
x
16 May 2013, 09:13
Ah ok, only reason being is there used to be a link on there to Lulabella's kitchen!
How are you finding 5:2? Please give me hope and tell me it works after a 6 month plateau!
X
16 May 2013, 09:28
I've only been on this WOE for 5 weeks, but from reading this forum, YES THERE IS HOPE! :)

Some say have a complete blow out and confuse your body, or jump start it back to weight loss

Also changing fast days around from week to week could also be a good way to "confuse" your body, rather than getting in to too much of a routine

Have you been doing 5:2 for 6 months or have just been the same weight?
I really want to keep this WOE as a life change to ensure that if - no sorry - when i get to my goal weight i manage to maintain it also

I'm sorry if you've been "stuck" for 6 months, i'm sure that now you've got some great advice on how many calories to have each week, you'll be on the road to losing

xx
16 May 2013, 09:42
Sorry Melissa, in my haste i missed that you only started this week!

And you've lost 1lbs already - just to say, i lost my first week, stayed the same my second (yes panic did set in) and i have managed to lose each week since (fingers crossed for this weeks sat am weigh in!)

So, keep doing what you're doing and let us know how you get on
:)
16 May 2013, 09:43
Thankyou for the great advice :)
I have a number in my head 8stone, and once I'm there I'll be soooo happy!
Xx
20 posts Page 1 of 2