The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

6 posts Page 1 of 1
16:8
03 Jul 2013, 09:15
Hi just wondering are you able to do just 16:8 or should you combine it with 5:2 also how many calories should you be eating on 16:8? Any advice would be appreciated
Re: 16:8
03 Jul 2013, 10:41
16:8 is a way of distributing calories through the day that can be used at any level of calorie intake.
03 Jul 2013, 11:17
Loads of threads on this on the forum. Try searching for the hashtag: #sixteeneight as a start
03 Jul 2013, 11:29
I have tried that search but its doesn't come up with anything definitive.

I understand the concept (eating in an 8 hour window) but should this be done for the whole time or just twice a week like fasting? I am trying to find out as I dont want to undo all my good work while on holiday but I dont really want to be restricted to only eating within a certain time frame every day so would rather just stick with the 5:2 (or perhaps lapse a little and do 6:1) while I am away.
03 Jul 2013, 11:39
From what I've seen, some people are doing it every day and others on just some days. For example, after a fast day, breaking the fast earlier (so not 16:8) but on other days following 16:8. Some are doing 16:8 on weekdays and not bothering at weekends. Really, once you have the concept, it's up to you to adjust it to fit your lifestyle and your body! I am going to have a go at 16:8 on holiday because breakfast is easy to skip but the feasting really gets going in the afternoon!

In the end it all comes down to calories in vs calories used! If you can cram over 3000 calories into an 8-hour window you'll likely gain weight unless you are on an activity holiday! Just do what you can adjusting each day according to what will work best that day. For me I think it's the alcohol on holiday that adds the greatest number of calories so I'll try to have just water at lunchtime and save the alcohol for the evening.
03 Jul 2013, 13:20
I think that the food and the alcohol will be a big problem for me, its an all inclusive holiday and we're going to Morocco so I want to try all the food but I also want to enjoy myself and have a few cocktails too! I guess I will just need to limit myself during the day and splash out in the evenings, there is a gym and I have already bet my husband that I'll go there at least once!
6 posts Page 1 of 1