The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I started the 5:2 diet earlier this year and after about a month reverted to a calorie controlled diet.

This worked well for a couple of reasons - the 5:2 diet is DEFINITELY a great detox/kick off diet and combats all your cravings, getting you back in control of your appetite and eating habits. This led me well into a calorie controlled diet - as the hard part had already been done and the calories I was then on each day felt like a lot!

I ended up losing 20 lbs this year - which I was very pleased with. I still have another stone to lose and since my summer holiday abroad had fallen off the wagon, started eating unrestrictedly and put on half a stone! (so now 20lbs to lose!)

I decided action needed to be taken and I am revisiting the 5:2 diet. I only lasted one month on the fast diet last time as I really struggled on Fast days. I realise now that I am better suited to only having 1 meal a day in the evening - having previously tried to have a breakfast, a hot mug of marmite for lunch and then a light dinner. This pattern of eating just made me grumpy and starving all day.

I am on my 2nd Fast day and can't believe how much better I feel not eating all day! It goes against everything we are told - about never skipping breakfast and eating small meals frequently etc.

Too early to know if the results will be good on the scales/measurements side of things but will keep you posted.

Do most of you weigh yourselves once a week or every day?

Hi Noodles. Congrats on a fabulous weight loss! Lot's of daily weighers here. I step on the scale from time to time, but 'officially' weigh once a month. I tend to go by my waist measurement mostly.
Hi Noodles,

Congratulations on the great weight loss this year. Like yourself I have been working on losing it this year and I have tried all sorts of variations of intermittent fasting. For me the one meal a day is attractive but I tried it a few times and it wasn't pleasant because I got smelly breath (charming!) so I avoid it but I work nicely on 2 or 3 meals a day.
I have tried fasting ADF style, 4:3, 5:2, 16:8 - fasting from 12 noon to 12 noon - all sorts of varieties. It doesn't really matter how you do it - whatever works for you. Currently I am fasting 2 or 3 days a week according to what's going on in life and I am eating 3 small meals a day. I am exercising 4 or 5 days a week. I weigh whenever I feel like it (!) usually 2 or 3 times a week.

Good luck and I hope that you have found a formula that suits you so that you can lose the last 20 pounds smoothly and pain-free.

Kelly
Welcome back to the world of 5-2.. Your post is very reminiscent of a thread I started a few weeks ago about a similar desire I had to stick to the one evening meal.. no brekky , no lunch, no snacking..
the thread is

5-2-diet-chat-f6/my-5-2-or-4-3-21-power-fast-diet-t13272.html

i happen to call what i do 21 hour power fasting and generally speaking if you have just one meal, you are indeed fasting for about 21 hours.

good luck with it all and let us know how you go
Hello and welcome back from me.
Not having to make this evoked choices is often easier for me too. Having said that I can manage two meals successfully now. We are all different and yes as already said by Kelly there are many ways of fasting, just finding your one is the key.
I weigh three to four times a week. Depending on if I get around to it before work in the mornings. But always weigh weds, fri and sat as sat is my official weigh in. Gives time for me to address the weekend splurge.
5 posts Page 1 of 1