The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

9 posts Page 1 of 1
I have pretty bad insulin resistance, with high levels of insulin in my blood. I go from getting it under control to weeks of high levels.

Soooo I'm wondering now about my Cortisol levels. I read that one of the ways to drop cortisol is to consume CARBS.
So I can lower cortisol but at the same time I raise insulin.

Yesterday I was sure my cortisol was up and so I experimented eating some carbs, sure enough I felt better. (I know poor science but still I'm curious).

Has anyone got any thoughts on this or research?

A side note I also read that overweight people excrete a lot of cortisol when they begin an exercise routine. I'm thinking this might be part of the reason we dislike getting started.

Many thanks
Jo :confused: :heart: :clover: :clover: :clover:
Hi Jo, yes it's enough to do your head in - I went through exactly this for the first month plus of fasting, it was really tough. You can read about it if you search "doctors and diabetes" in the search window on the top right.
Basically, carorees said it's due to the metabolic inflexibility that those of us with insulin resistance suffer from - out bodies have a lot of problem flicking the switch off on carbohydrate burning, and flicking on the switch to fat burning due to high insulin levels.
Unfortunately, I don't think the long-term solution is eating carbs, that just perpetuates the carb-burning, although it certainly makes you feel better immediately. But if you were measuring your blood glucose, you'd probably find that it was high afterwards. The more long term solution would be to limit your carbs a bit more, and increase your intake of fats instead. And be especially careful of eating carbs the morning and the day after a fast, as you'll have a bit more insulin resistance in the short term.

The good thing I can say is that it does settle down over time - my sugar levels, and thus my insulin levels, are now nice & low before during & after fasting. But it does take 4-6 weeks of fasting for the body to "flick the switch", in our situation.

Please PM me if you need more info!
jools7 wrote: Hi Jo, yes it's enough to do your head in - I went through exactly this for the first month plus of fasting, it was really tough. You can read about it if you search "doctors and diabetes" in the search window on the top right.
Basically, carorees said it's due to the metabolic inflexibility that those of us with insulin resistance suffer from - out bodies have a lot of problem flicking the switch off on carbohydrate burning, and flicking on the switch to fat burning due to high insulin levels.
Unfortunately, I don't think the long-term solution is eating carbs, that just perpetuates the carb-burning, although it certainly makes you feel better immediately. But if you were measuring your blood glucose, you'd probably find that it was high afterwards. The more long term solution would be to limit your carbs a bit more, and increase your intake of fats instead. And be especially careful of eating carbs the morning and the day after a fast, as you'll have a bit more insulin resistance in the short term.

The good thing I can say is that it does settle down over time - my sugar levels, and thus my insulin levels, are now nice & low before during & after fasting. But it does take 4-6 weeks of fasting for the body to "flick the switch", in our situation.

Please PM me if you need more info!

Oh gosh thanks @jools7
I will search that thread and thanks for telling me to watch carbs the day after fast. I seem to be heavily dazed the second day after the fast. It could be too high insulin resistance. I was going for bread - still trying to limit carbs to 120 gms a day, but having 4 - 5 (75gm carb) slices of toast and ww jam.
I will ease up on it.the great research.

So my aim is to maintain the fasts, eat less carbs on feed days. It's disappointing as I get through the fast by promising myself a carb treat, not sure what to do now - might be some smoked salmon, or a nice low carb breakfast at cafe.

cheers
jo :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
How about a little gentle exercise for dropping the cortisol? That shouldn't cause too much stress!

You can probably still have your carb treat, just make it one slice of low GI toast. It's often said on the forums that you can have whatever you want on your feed days, just not whatever quantity you want. Insulin resistance does change the game a bit, though ( I should know!)
jools7 wrote: How about a little gentle exercise for dropping the cortisol? That shouldn't cause too much stress!

You can probably still have your carb treat, just make it one slice of low GI toast. It's often said on the forums that you can have whatever you want on your feed days, just not whatever quantity you want. Insulin resistance does change the game a bit, though ( I should know!)

Gentle exercise is a great idea. And yes I've read gentle exercise is recommended. I will stroll on beach and do stretches.

My inner teenager keeps reminding me of MM's documentary where he is eating burgers and chips. I think I actually bought the fast diet idea at that moment. (blush blush blush) And the forum is slowly showing me that's not really the case. But I'm discovering some other goodies with this process and that disappointment will be overcome...and Yes insulin resistance is a game changer. So well said. So good to remind myself.
cheers for the ideas Jools, they are sooo helpful.
Jo :heart: :heart: :clover: :clover:
Actually, for me, the first few months were like that on the programme, I craved treats & ate chips quite regularly. It took me far longer to sort my feed days, fast days were much easier.

I still lost weight though & I enjoyed the relaxed approach.

I have now mostly cleaned up my diet & now I'm probably closer to a traditional calorie restricted diet than I could ever have imagined. Ironically not losing weight atm...but I would never have been able to this from the start.

Sort out fast days, relax on feed days until your metabolism sorts itself out. Process, not destination matters here.
BBT053 wrote: Actually, for me, the first few months were like that on the programme, I craved treats & ate chips quite regularly. It took me far longer to sort my feed days, fast days were much easier.

I still lost weight though & I enjoyed the relaxed approach.

I have now mostly cleaned up my diet & now I'm probably closer to a traditional calorie restricted diet than I could ever have imagined. Ironically not losing weight atm...but I would never have been able to this from the start.

Sort out fast days, relax on feed days until your metabolism sorts itself out. Process, not destination matters here.

Hi @BBT053,
Many thanks for sharing your journey. I want to just not worry about the feast days; and I will to a certain extent. With the exception I will count my carbs. I have such a high BMI I can have a lot of fat meat and veg, so it's not like i will go without. But thank you for reminding me to focus on the fasts. I think there have been some benefits in my life in general from the fast days. I seem to be getting a bit more self control with a couple of other things. So thats a good thing from the fasts already. I've not weighed myself so I', not going to be watching the scales as they just depress me when they weave up and down all over the place. I will gt weighed at the doctors every couple of months tho.

I feel it's so important the support I'm getting on this forum. Fasting is quite a huge process and I'd not be able to do this alone.

Best wishes
Jo :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover:
Look up "fat adapted". That is what you're aiming for, being able to switch to fat burning as an energy pathway. It can take a while, particularly with an inflexible metabolism.

With a higher BMI, you do need to enough to support your weight. It can be hard from meat & veg, just due to volume of food. Carbs are just so cal dense. lt's a constant paleo discussion. (-:
Jo05 Have you had your cortisol levels checked? Just curious because back in Sept. I was diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue and my cortisol levels were low and I am "pre-diabetic" which I think is the same as insulin resistant. I have been taking supplements rec'd by my doc. anyway, I find even on a fast day I feel better if I eat a small amout of carbs.

I have been seriously fasting since Jan. and the fast days get easier but I find the regular days to be more of a problem. They really are what will make or break this diet for me.
9 posts Page 1 of 1