The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

61 posts Page 4 of 5
These are very encouraging results.
Here's to continued great health!
carorees wrote: Hi @SunnyArizona and @GeordieKat!

I have looked at the way that fasting affects thyroid function in the 5:2 lab section. A key paper is this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6403568
This study in fasting, mildly obese females suggests that: 1) The transient suppression of serum TSH during early fasting is not TRH mediated. 2) Fasting does not alter plasma TRH levels. 3) A temporal sequence of changes in serum thyroid hormone indices occurs in fasting, this being an initial rise in FT4 (10 h) followed by a fall in both serum TT3/TT4 (12-14 h) and TSH (30-36 h) and finally by a rise in TrT3/TT4 levels (48 h). This sequence of events suggests that the initial inhibition of serum TSH levels in early fasting results from the acute elevation in FT4 levels, and that the reestablishment of normal serum TSH levels with continued fasting is associated with declining serum TT3 levels.

I think that this suggests people with thyroid issues should not fast for too long at any one time, perhaps no more than 12-14 hours without food? I wonder if for you, SunnyArizona, three fasting days a week but with a higher calorie allowance and no more than 12 hours without food might be safer?

This is interesting. I'm hyperthyroid, medicated down to normal. I have had to reduce my medication three times now since I started fasting in January, because my thyroid blood tests keep coming back with levels that are too low or nearly too low.

So I wonder if the fasting is a lasting cure, or, if I were to stop fasting, if my thyroid levels would go back up to too high.
I have underactive thyroid tho my family history is overactive thyroid.
I have lost twelve pounds in eught weeks, so for now it seems i am losing quite well despite u/ active thyroid
Am only on 50 mcg levothyroxine per day and have been for about 15 years...i only found out here after all these years it should be taken on an empty stomach!i should have paid more attention to the accompanying literature!
I thought it might help me saying I've just lost my 34lb in 34 weeks on 5:2. I had thyroid cancer 20 years ago and had my thyroid removed so take 125 mg of oroxine now. When I started 5:2 I was taking 150 mg but my doctor rang me and told me to reduce after my 3 month blood test showed my TSH so low at .02. I had my blood test after my second fast day and am due to have my 2nd 4months blood test and wondered if I should take it whilst still fasting at the end of my second fast day or at another time?
@Beavergong, Well done on your loss! :like: I take levothyroxine and was advised to take my medication first thing in the morning on an empty stomach then wait an hour before consuming any food. Also, another member advised me to NOT take my medication the morning of a bloods test so that the test is not measuring the morning dose (I took it after bloods were drawn). I did this for my test a couple months ago and it worked perfectly in that I didn't need any changes in dosage.
I am hypothyroid and was using Levothyroxine but switched to Armour when I continued to gain weight. I have tried other "diets" to lose the weight with no success. I started the 5:2 diet 3 weeks ago and can say, with great amazement, I have lost 5 lbs. I realized that I have not been eating because I was Hungry but bored! The fasting days really drove this home to me. Now food taste better and on my non fasting days I eat less. I have started listening to my body not my head. You must watch your calorie intake on your non fasting days...don't eat to reach a calorie goal..eat to fill your stomach and stop your hunger.
I too have an underactive thyroid - I was diagnosed nearly 14 years ago and am on 200mg daily. I've always taken mine first thing in the morning, but when I was dashing out to work there wasn't much of a gap between it and breakfast. Now, newly retired, and can achieve the desired 30 mins to 1 hour gap. I've stuggled with my weight for the past 20 odd years and tried a lot of diets. Usually I can manage to lose 1-2lbs a week if I stick to it. Just started 5:2 this week and will be interested to see how I do on this new WOE - hoping that I've found something that I can incorporate into my life on a long term basis, and would welcome any advice or experiences from others with hypothyroidism.
Hope you see some great results Leafi...good luck!
[[/tag]
gaitless wrote: I just finished my 4th week on the plan. I've lost a total of 6 lbs, and 1 inch off my waist, my hips and my bust.

I lost weight the first 2 weeks, gained the 3rd and lost again the 4th week. Have to wait and see what the 5th will bring. I think it's a plan that will work, just may take longer for those of us with Thyroid problems.

I would suggest those who are taking meds for your Thyroid, be sure and get your Vit D levels checked. Mine were tanked, and once those came up, my Dr lowered my Synthroid since my body was using it better. Granted, I felt 100% better when my TSH was a 0, but my dr about had a heart attack! He would not let me keep it there.

Well done on your loss so far @gaitlessx
Blood tests recently showed i was massively vit D deficient,am now on huge dose..so from what youre saying, when my vit D is boosted, i may need less thyroid medication?
Long time Hypothyroid that runs in family, had been taking 200mcg 5 times per week in am on empty stomach. TSH levels had been stable but after 6 months on 5:2 my TSH dropped out of normal range indicating I'm getting too much levothyroxine, Dr dropped dosage to 137mcg 7 days per week. Will be retested in January.
Another one on Levothyroxine here, 150mcg daily. I also have arthritis and PCOS so a bit of a crock! None of these things are exactly conducive to losing weight so I'm hoping 5:2 will help me out here!
Hi

I am hypothyroid and take 125 mcg Levothyroxine a day. I have just finished my second week (4 fast days) on the 5:2 last week and have so far lost 3 pounds.

However, I feel completely worn out. I am due to go for my blood test next week to see if I am on the right dose. But has anyone else with hypothyroidism had experience of the 5:2 making them feel extra tired?

Thanks
Hi there twofish, you are off to a great start! I'm afraid I can't say if the fasting caused me to be tired as I have M.E./CFS and am always tired. :-). But, many people report increased fatigue when first starting out,and it gets better as you go along. Good idea to get your blood testing done though, to see if your meds need adjusting. Mine has actually been adjusted down a couple of times since starting fasting. Good luck and keep us posted on how you get on. Phyllis
Hi@twofishi' m like MountainMyst,i too have ME/ CFS so can't really answer yr question
Well done on yr initial weight loss ! Hope the tiredness passes but when get checked out next week,you could ask to be also checked for anaemia,which wd make you tired
If tests are ok,could just be yr body adjusting to fasting and it will pass.
Good luck,let usknow how you get on x
Just a followup for me, When I started 5:2 I was .200 levothyroxine. Based on subsequest Blood levels (TSH) my Dr dropped my dosage to .137 first but that wasn't enough and was subsequently dropped again to .125. It seems to me a moving target !
61 posts Page 4 of 5