The FastDay Forum

Fasting with Medical Conditions

28 posts Page 1 of 2
Fasting and cancer
24 Apr 2013, 04:32
I recently came across the following doc on the fastingconnection website, on the subject of fasting and cancer. I appreciate it`s not strictly speaking 5:2 IF but thought it was interesting and worth posting nevertheless.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hS4 ... XCo6g/edit

Anyone got any direct (personal or know of someone?) experience of fasting during chemo or to fight cancer in general?
Re: Fasting and cancer
24 Apr 2013, 07:12
Hi skippy, sorry I am slightly rudely posting without having followed up your links yet but I know that Dr Valter Longo's interest in fasting is closely related to its benefits in tackling cancer. You may remember him from the Horizon programme? He is one of Dr M's gurus, the one who made him do the 4 day fast (under supervision!)

And there is a case recited in Dr M's book too I think.

I think the case for fasting vs. cancer is quite a strong one. The technique that I have read about though is longer fasts rather than 5:2.
24 Apr 2013, 07:15
I know of no one who is fasting whilst undergoing cancer treatment but in Dr MM's book, pages 58-60 is Nora's story about a lady who fasted whilst having chemotherapy. Worth reading and I hope it is never an option that any of us have to consider.
24 Apr 2013, 07:43
Thanks Dominic, the longo research is well referenced in the doc.
Thanks ballerina, I recall the book ref too.

Still keen to hear if anyone on here has utilised fasting when fighting cancer? Or does anyone know of any oncologists who advocate it?
24 Apr 2013, 08:57
I have a friend who has terminal bowel cancer undergoing chemo and she fasts on the day before her treatment - she says the horrendous side effects are much less since she has started fasting. She occasionally blogs about her cancer journey (she's a published writer)and has a website if anyone's interested although I'm not sure whether she makes reference to fasting - we've spoken privately about it.
24 Apr 2013, 09:04
I take my had off to anyone who can fast during chemo (though I expect, like most things in life, it's different for different people).

I had chemo following breast cancer nearly ten years ago, and what with the steroid anti sickness pills giving me the munchies and feeling like I had a hangover every day for months giving me extreme carb cravings, I didn't stand a chance - I put on weight. As did lots of others that I knew at the time.
24 Apr 2013, 09:12
My younger sister (45) has had 2 bouts of cervical cancer over the last 5+ years - both treated with chemo. The Dr treating her recently has talked about fasting. I've not had the opportunity to speak properly with my sis about this but I know she is currently doing something along the lines of 5:2. I'm seeing her next week and will see what gen I can get from her - or preferably try and get her on this forum.... she loves tweeting/facebooking so she may well be happy to share her experiences/information with you all.
26 Apr 2013, 02:45
Marlene - That`s very interesting about your friend. I sincerely hope the fasting helps her. Please post a link to her blog or PM it to me and let her know there is one more person wishing positive thoughts for her.

Swedey - I agree with you, fasting (48hrs..) pre chemo would be rather onerous, especially if you`re not used to fasting. As I think I`ve said before on another post, post chemo fasting may be a bit easier/come for free.

Suchard - Hats off to your sister for getting thru 2 bouts of chemo. Would be interested to hear further thoughts from your sister`s doc if you hear any more. Thanks for replying.
26 Apr 2013, 05:55
Yes, there are some papers about pre-chemo fasting, see this for example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21088487

A lot of work by Valter Longo who was in Dr M's documentary on fasting and cancer.
26 Apr 2013, 09:24
skippyscuffleton wrote: Marlene - That`s very interesting about your friend. I sincerely hope the fasting helps her. Please post a link to her blog or PM it to me and let her know there is one more person wishing positive thoughts for her.

Swedey - I agree with you, fasting (48hrs..) pre chemo would be rather onerous, especially if you`re not used to fasting. As I think I`ve said before on another post, post chemo fasting may be a bit easier/come for free.

Suchard - Hats off to your sister for getting thru 2 bouts of chemo. Would be interested to hear further thoughts from your sister`s doc if you hear any more. Thanks for replying.

Here it is:
http://www.itsallaboutpoo.blogspot.co.uk/

Not sure if she mentions fasting but she has spoken about it on facebook and she has spoken about watching the Horizon programme and researching fasting/cancer - she actually does a total fast the day before chemo. I will pass on your kind thoughts to her - thank you.
26 Apr 2013, 14:34
Can I just say I fasted almost every single day during chemo.
Not out of choice but due to mouth issues, vomiting and bowel issues.
I lost 3 stones in 5 months. I wouldn't advocate chemo as a weight loss plan lol.
Hopefully the fasting made the chemo more effective.
Even the medical staff said nothing could survive in my body as I had such a severe reaction to the chemo. So much so that I was too ill to have the final chemo.
I am now 2 years cancer free and would like to stay that way!
This is my motivation for doing 5:2.
26 Apr 2013, 15:35
Bellalou,

I have been struck dumb just reading your post and believe me that is no mean achievement. How wonderful that you are doing so well, my beloved sister was not so lucky so a hug is on its way to you now,

Ballerina x
26 Apr 2013, 21:13
Bellalou - life can be so harsh - sounds like you've had a seriously rough time - wishing you all the luck in the world with 5:2 and that you stay cancer free for many, many, many years to come x
26 Apr 2013, 21:28
What they said Ballerina... (((hugs)))
28 posts Page 1 of 2