The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting when Sick?
26 Sep 2013, 12:55
So... Today is my regular fast day. But I'm also sick with a very bad cold. Which got me wondering what other folks do when they are sick. Do you stick with your fast days or do you wait till you're better and then restart?
Re: Fasting when Sick?
26 Sep 2013, 13:50
I (knocks on wood) haven't been sick since starting 5:2 or since sometime last year :?: :shock: but what from what I've read on the forum, some stick with the fast and others don't, it's all about listening to what your body needs. :smile:
26 Sep 2013, 14:08
I woke up with a sore throat today after fighting off a cold for about a week (that's when OH started sniffling). I went ahead with my early morning exercise video and felt worse when the half-hour was over. That's when I decided to cancel my fast, my Strength Training class, and my volunteer shift at the public library.

Some people can just soldier through, I know, but I don't want to spread my germs around and just don't feel like fasting, although I probably won't eat a lot anyway.

Those of us over 65 should probably take it easy when sick--our immune systems are not as strong as when we were younger.
27 Sep 2013, 16:40
I personally ditch the fast, especially if its sickness. You body needs the energy to get you back to normal. But then saying that if im really not feeling well, i dont feel like eating anyway. So just see how you go.
27 Sep 2013, 17:03
Having a kid in school, I tend to get lots of colds and tonsilitis around this time. If I'm sick on a fast day I'll play it by ear - if I feel like eating then I'll eat something nourishing and not worry about it, if I feel ok to fast then I'll give it a go.
27 Sep 2013, 17:41
I'd been feeling run down for a couple of weeks, went to the nurse practitioner and found out I have a sinus infection. The good part is nothing tastes very good. The bad part is I've been channeling my inner slug. I pushed my way through yesterday's fast, but if I had had a fever I would have set fast aside. I'd go with how you feel.
30 Sep 2013, 17:16
Hey Folks. I did stick with my fast on Sept 26th. It wasn't hard as I was so sick/tired I really had little appetite. Ended up having some soup and toast and that's it.

Fast forward, it is now Sept 30th and my next fast day has rolled around. I'm still sick and I've decided to try and stick with my fast again. I know that my taste buds are not acting normally from the cold/meds. I have had some cravings over the past few days for some junk/comfort food. But usually I have these cravings when I'm not even hungry. So I know they are cravings and not actual hunger. Mostly I've been ignoring them. Though I did end up buying (but not eating) 2 boxes of cookies when I went to the Pharmacy to get different cold drugs to try. (The meds I had been using weren't letting me sleep.) I guess it's a good thing that I don't have the energy to go grocery shopping as I'd probably return home with a load of junk food instead of real groceries.
30 Sep 2013, 17:35
Hope you feel better soon. Well done for sticking with it!
30 Sep 2013, 19:00
I've had a cold that started last week and is still going this week. I've carried on doing the fasting as normal. I take painkillers as normal and drink lots but I do miss not being able to suck sweets to ease my throat :(.

Hoping the poxy thing finally goes this week.
30 Sep 2013, 20:30
I have found I have been healthier on 5:2 more than on any previous diets and less colds and flus

Some time it's feed a cold and starve a fever isn't it. If I had a cold I would be instinctively eating. Like the idea of broths so I usually make a bit pot of veggie broth from scratch adding as many different veggies as I can and that seems to do the trick by keeping my body warm, feeds the cravings and I feel I am doing my body good with all those veggies.

I also have a hot toddy which I also sip and this is 1 smashed clove of garlic, 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger, 1/2 cut fresh lemon juiced, 1 tspn honey and (careful) but a slight sprinkle of cayenne pepper on the top, fill up the mug to the top with hot water. Stir. The cayenne pepper heats your throat and this works when you have a cold and a sore throat. It's full of goodies
01 Oct 2013, 14:08
Puny, here in Canada they make sugar-free Halls lozenges. They have been a wonderful tool for me while dealing with this sore throat/cold.
01 Oct 2013, 14:57
@Gillymary - your hot "toddy" sounds warming, but how can it be a toddy without a wee tot of whisky (or rum, brandy etc. your choice) You would get a few funny looks here in Scotland if you made someone a toddy without the star ingredient! :lol:
01 Oct 2013, 19:25
I'm over the worst of it now but I never thought to look for any sugar free lozenges. Will definitely have to look out for something like that next time.
13 posts Page 1 of 1