The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

7 posts Page 1 of 1
12 hr gap with fasting
15 Oct 2013, 03:15
H, first day on fasting and am wondering if you get up at 9am and have breakfast does it need to be 9pm when you have yr dinner (12 hrs) can it be slightly earlier at 7pm...I am 104kgs,am very active with the gym and cycling.As yet still sorting out bmi ratio but done all the measurements.A bit on myself health wise, I have 2 auto immune diseases a thyroid condition called graves disease and had nearly all of my thyriod removed and linear sclera derma.. so keeping myself healthy is important (and lynch syndrome, high risk of several cancers, genetics, am screened yrly. I watched the TV programmes and was so interested and am now starting the fasting.
Re: 12 hr gap with fasting
15 Oct 2013, 03:21
Welcome to the forum Melinda! You can have your 500 calories anytime you want on a fast day. I usually save mine until dinner but if you want breakfast and dinner that's fine too. You'll find what works for you. I also have graves disease, treated with radioactive iodine and now my thyroid is non-funtioning. There is a section on the forum called Fasting with Medical Conditions that you might find of interest. Lots of tips, advice, encouragement, support and humor here. Browse around and keep us posted of your progress. :)
15 Oct 2013, 03:22
Ideally, your gap would be 24 hours. So instead of eating breakfast when you wake up, let the dinner from the night before be your start time and try to work up to not eating until the next evening. While "technically" the goal is to limit your calories to 500 during your "fast" period, the best health benefits are reportedly experienced during the body fasting hours of 18-24. Again, we are all different, and you have to start somewhere. Do keep hydrated with liquids though.
15 Oct 2013, 06:20
Hi Melinda!
The first two fasts I had breakfast, lunch and tea, spreading my calories, then did breakfast and tea for the next two fasts. After reading on here that many people find it easier to have all their calories at teatime, I gave it a go - and although it sounds scary at first, it is surprisingly easy! In the beginning you have no idea what fasting will feel like, but you will quickly learn what your body can do. I did read that although the weight loss still happens if you spread your calories, to get the more long term health benefits the bigger the gap the better!
Good luck!
15 Oct 2013, 07:03
Hello Melinda,

As mentioned earlier the fast actually starts the night before the actual Fast Day, after your last meal/drink so the body is fasting overnight which already counts towards your fasting period. There are many different variations how you use your 500 calories during the Fast Day and I have always preferred to have a small meal at lunch and in the evening, whereas others have one meal in the evening or even nothing at all until the following morning. You'll soon find something that suits you - and it needn't necessarily be the same each Fast Day.
15 Oct 2013, 07:35
Hi melinda and welcome!
Think youve already had all the advice you need re the gap,so i will just add,enjoy the journey and read all you can here as there is so much knowledge to help you along the way x
15 Oct 2013, 09:05
Good luck Melinda, this 52 Way of eating has really been a miracle for me and many others . 30 weeks ago today I began this journey at 104kg and today I weigh 88 kilos having lost 16 Kgs . (that's including the 1 kg I just lost on an 9 day holiday in Phuket. Unheard of before 52.) I know you will find this forum supportive and educational as I have. I too started with 3 meals a day bniw just have dinner of 300 cals as that is what I am used to and my fasting hubby still has 3 meals. But its my choice-the food is there if I want or need it. :clover:
:clover: Best wishes
,julianna :clover:
7 posts Page 1 of 1