The FastDay Forum

Fasting Windows

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Anyone Doing 16:8?
22 Oct 2013, 13:13
I was told this is the best forum around for fasting...so here I am! My whole family is doing one form or another of fasting. It's mindboggling. I need to keep it simple, so I want to do 16:8 fasting. Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find any posts on it. I am starting today, and my eating hours will be from 10 to 6 today. I plan to read up on it and learn as much as I can.

Anyone doing this?

Joy
Re: Anyone Doing 16:8?
22 Oct 2013, 13:20
Hi Joy and welcome to the forum

Oh yes, there are lots of people doing 16:8 either with 5:2 or alone, some every day, some on just some days. We like to be flexible!

Here are some existing threads on the topic to get you started:
topic5557.html
topic3532.html
5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic5473.html
5-2-diet-f7/8-16-t7172.html

If you put the term 16:8 into the google search box at the bottom left of the screen you'll find even more!
22 Oct 2013, 13:22
Welcome to the forum Joy! What a great compliment as we certainly think we are the best forum around. :like:

Many of us are doing 16:8, some exclusively and some mix it in between their 5:2 days. If you click here #sixteeneight you will find more 16:8 posts. There is also Ballerina post topic5557.html lots of information and alot of laughs (as with most of @Ballerina's posts! lol) Browse around and jump in and enjoy! :)

lol Caroline beat me to the links!
22 Oct 2013, 13:34
Haha, I knew Caroline would be the first to give the links! :)

Hello and welcome Joy! Have fun reading, lots of good information in those links... and good luck! :clover:
22 Oct 2013, 14:04
Thank you so much for the welcome and all the links! I am so glad others are doing this as well. I am so happy to be starting this! ...off to "click and read"...thanks again for providing me with information. I really appreciate it!

Joy
22 Oct 2013, 16:22
Welcome and I am doing 16:8 and 4:3 and it's great ! :victory:
22 Oct 2013, 23:35
Hi and welcome:

16:8 is not fasting. Under it you can eat as much of anything you want 8 hours each day. At best, you skip breakfast, and, if you don't compensate by eating it later in the day, you find yourself on a reduced calorie diet.

Good Luck!
23 Oct 2013, 00:18
I don't think I could do 16:8 as I'm pretty sure I would just cram in as much calories as possible which I don't think is the point.. (!)
23 Oct 2013, 06:57
simcoeluv wrote: Hi and welcome:

16:8 is not fasting. Under it you can eat as much of anything you want 8 hours each day. At best, you skip breakfast, and, if you don't compensate by eating it later in the day, you find yourself on a reduced calorie diet.

Good Luck!

I have to disagree. 16 hours is fasting. There are studies showing the increase in ketones occurring after just a few hours without food. How long depends on glycogen stores. For a woman, 16 hours should be enough to get lower insulin and increased fat burning. But as you say, it's important not to overeat in the 8 hours. I think attention to carbs is important as it helps keep insulin down.
23 Oct 2013, 07:03
I have been doing 19/5 the past few weeks. I have no problem with over eating during the eating time. Though I am not sure how for weight loss it is doing. I am more in my maintainance mode and find it fitting wonderfully with my life. My weekends I am lose about what time I start eating.

I get into ketosis easily even overnight with no food as my breath stinks and it disappear once I consume food.
23 Oct 2013, 09:47
Well, the way it's worked for me is that the 4:3 means I don't really snack now, feel full quicker, stop eating sooner and have way more control.

So 16:8 seems a logical progression since I don't really like brekkie and it fits in with training well.
23 Oct 2013, 11:04
When I was losing weight, the combination of 5:2 and 16:8 on the other days really worked well and got me out of the habit of eating breakfast. 16:8 also recommended by those who have been on holiday.
23 Oct 2013, 14:45
Welcome Joy and yes youve come to the best forum in town !
Plenty of info already been offered so i' ll just say good luck and enjoy! X
23 Oct 2013, 14:46
carorees wrote:
simcoeluv wrote: Hi and welcome:

Good Luck!

I have to disagree. 16 hours is fasting. There are studies showing the increase in ketones occurring after just a few hours without food. How long depends on glycogen stores. For a woman, 16 hours should be enough to get lower insulin and increased fat burning. But as you say, it's important not to overeat in the 8 hours. I think attention to carbs is important as it helps keep insulin down.

Thanks Caro for clarifying x
23 Oct 2013, 15:20
I'm doing my first ever 16:8 day today, and I have to say that I don't feel like over-indulging, or trying to cram in as many calories as possible into that 8 hour eating window. My eating window started at 12 noon (I didn't actually start eating until 1pm by the time that I returned home from the gym). That sure proves those so-called 'experts' wrong, who say that you somehow have to eat breakfast in the morning, for good health and optimum performance (I discovered that my gym performances were actually unaffected by the fact that I hadn't eaten anything for nearly 16 hours beforehand).
22 posts Page 1 of 2