The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

24 posts Page 2 of 2
ma3xiu1 wrote: I remember a story on a TV Current Affairs program here in Sydney which talked about this mislabelling of sizes on clothes in an attempt to make the consumer fell better about the product. I found it very strange at the time that someone would have their identity and sense of self-worth tied up in a number printed on the label at the back of their clothes, but it actually does seem to be quite common.

It's a woman thing I'm afraid and to my horror, I succumb to it a little bit as well. I like to think I'm wearing the smaller sizes but then again when they say stupidly small sizes ( which I KNOW I am not! ) I get slightly annoyed with the manufactures attempts at patronising me, so it works, but only to a point.

I'll let you into a secret if you promise not to tell another soul, men will never understand women, they are not meant to understand us and we don't even understand ourselves sometimes. Oh, and one more thing, I don't understand men............ :bugeyes: As long as we continue to be nice to each other and show kindness then that will do for me :victory:

Ballerina x :heart:
Back to Penny's thought that the doctor called her obese and it was an eye opener, same for me this charming doctor (soon not) once said to me you don't have to be 15kg overweight you know. Me thinking just a few kgs at the time :( .

What do you suggest I do doctor, says I.

His reply scuba dive!

&$@#% Well I am allergic to swimming and to even consider I would immerse myself under the depths was for me ludicrous. Funny though I am fighting back and to lose 15kg still my goal.

Back on topic, what every size makes us look and feel good good.
I love diving, but what an odd suggestion. It's expensive, for starters. I guess it's easy on the joints (unless you get the bends), but so are plenty of other, more accessible forms of exercise. I'm definitely exhausted after a day of diving, but then I'm exhausted after an hour or so of running, too.
Yes, very odd suggestion. It isn't like scuba diving is something that most people would do on a daily or even regular basis. Do you live on the coast, gilly? I haven't ever been scuba diving. But, then I'm landlocked in `The Middle' between the corn fields most of the time.
When I was young (many moons ago) and had a young family, my (then) doctor thought I was overweight (it was before the days when I knew of BMI, but I was probably at the very low end of 'normal') and suggested I take up early morning swimming. When I pointed out the impracticality of this , he said, 'well, I manage it.'
I won't really let you into my thoughts, but they ran along the lines of.. man goes swimming, leaves woman to get kids off to school...get real!
Here here. Penny. Many women are tied to the house in those early childhood days, I struggled to contunue exercising, finding places with a crèche was a nightmare. So I gave up in the end. Was having this same conversation with a colleague in her early thirties recently, she said how did you exercise with young kids and we said you don't. My hubs played football, worked away, worked late. It was impossible. I've now reclaimed myself, but my kids are 17 and 12.
Ahhh @gillymary and @PennyForthem - you made me laugh.As for people telling you that you're carrying to much weight- how's this one. I am a casual preschool teacher and work with many lovely 4 and 5 year olds. One day will playing in the sand with trucks a sweet little boy I had been talking to stated in a factual way( but not meant to insult) " You're too fat. You eat too much chocolate" No I didn't cry :cry: because it was true but I felt like replying " no its because I eat too much cheese" any way I felt better at work a few days later while sitting with a group of girls making pine needle necklaces and tiaras a little girl looked at me and said "you are soooo beautiful". Now its not very often a 45 year old woman gets told that so as no adults were close by and I was feeling curious I said " really? Why do you think so? "And she replied " because you have beautiful hair .the same colour as me. " ahh the honesty of children.
Xxx julianna
So sweet!

Speaking of the honesty of children, your post reminded me of what my niece asked me once. "What color was your hair before you were my aunt?"
24 posts Page 2 of 2