The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Newbie & New to Forums
08 Jan 2014, 23:55
Hi
Just thought I would introduce myself, I am on the start of another , I hope this time successful weight loss journey, have thought about trying the Fast Diet some months ago, after seeing the programme and reading the book.
Finally after Christmas, decided this is the year to lose weight, I am currently
18S 8lbs which is i think 119kgs?
I am so ashamed of my weight, and even typing this down to people I do not know seems mad, when I can not ever admit same to my family or friends.
Anyway, sorry for long post, but today was my first fast day and I actually stuck to it, am starving, have a headache but so proud of myself.
I am going to track my calories on feed days, as I think I need to re-educate myself about calorie content in foods, so used to counting points or syns etc, have been shocked by simple amount of Calories in day to day food, its no wonder I am managed to get this heavy.
I realise this is not a fast track, so I will have to be patient but I would love to fit into half the dresses in my wardrobe I have bought in vain the last few years ( which are a 20-22-seems crazy that this is a starting goal) However, in the long run, ideally want to be a size 12-14 , this to me would be amazing and I would be in the 'normal weight ' category. Fit and Healthy more importantly too.
If anybody out there has a similar amount to lose or has lost , would love any tips, suggestions . Thanks ikkan
Re: Newbie & New to Forums
09 Jan 2014, 03:03
Hi and welcome:

Here are some tips some newbies have found helpful: post68626.html#p68626

Good Luck!
09 Jan 2014, 08:23
Hi @ikkan! Welcome to the forum!

Well done on completing your first fast...the next one will be easier until you can take them in your stride!

Don't be ashamed of your current weight! There are good reasons why you've put on the weight and they are not because you are weak willed...after all you managed to go a whole day on only 500cal and that takes willpower! No, it is the presence of food everywhere, the current health advice (low fat, high carb, frequent eating) which actually encourages weight gain and the diet industry itself which IMO is the reason most of us ended up just getting bigger and bigger. So stop thinking you're the problem here! But congratulate yourself on discovering fasting...you now have the tools to regain your old self! There are many folk here who, like you had/have lots of weight to lose. Many have already lost huge amounts, and those who are still in the early stages, like you, feel confident they will get to their target. For inspiration, check out the "Before and after" section and the "Inspirational stories" section and the thread in the announcements about our forum members' progress in 2013.

Then, have a look at the FAQs and tips in the bubbles at the top of the page. After that there's lots more information and fun to be had all around the forum, just dive right in!

As you progress, use the progress tracker to keep track of your weight loss, predict your future progress and give you an idea of what your normal eating days should look like via the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) figure that it will calculate for you. I'd recommend you measure your waist (at a point halfway between your belly button and your ribs)...often you'll see a decrease here even when the scales are not so kind.

Good luck with your journey and off you've any questions feel free to ask!
09 Jan 2014, 08:56
I agree with Caroline: there's no reason to be ashamed. You're taking steps to make yourself healthier, and that isn't easy. I think getting started is half the battle. You've done your first fast and survived. Well done! I struggled in the first few weeks, but then it definitely got easier. There's a thread of tips for fast days somewhere on the forum. Mostly it's things like: plan your fast days ahead of time, drink lots of water, keep busy, eat low carb on fast days to keep hunger at bay.

Welcome and good luck!
09 Jan 2014, 10:03
hi Ikkan and welcome from me too!!

I agree and second everything already been said, please do not feel ashamed, you have made the first very important step and that is the decision to change your life, and with 5.2 it will, forever :-)

good luck and all the best on your journey :-)
09 Jan 2014, 10:30
Hi and Welcome,

As everybody else said there is nothing to be ashamed about, do use the Progress Tracker (you don't have to make it public), try one of the free online calorie counter sites like MyFitnessPal to help you get a feel for where the calories are sneaking in.

It does work and it does get easier :clover:
09 Jan 2014, 10:36
Welcome it's so good to have you here :smile:
As everyone has said no need to feel ashamed. Most of
us are here because of our battles with food and weight. Fasting isn't always easy but it's easier than depriving yourself everyday for the rest of your life. If your struggling on a fast day remember you can eat tomorrow. :heart:
09 Jan 2014, 10:43
I have to say that Caroline's post is very inspirational and I agree don't be ashamed, be proud of your first fast, second fast and all those which will follow.
09 Jan 2014, 10:45
Hello Ikkan & welcome to this very friendly & informative forum. I second what has already been posted but want to agree that you should not be ashamed admitting to being overweight. You have taken the very important first step of wanting to do something about it & have succeeded in completing your first fast, so very well done & keep posting how you are getting on. I have found this to be the most sustainable & sensible way of learning about my relationship with food & losing weight. It is not a quick fix but manageable & I hope that you will enjoy participating in the forum. Good luck!
09 Jan 2014, 10:51
Thank you all so much for your support! Planning my next meals for fast day which this week will be tomorrow and plan that from next week onwards, it will be Mondays & Wednesdays.
Thanks again for all your support and advise )
09 Jan 2014, 12:23
Hi ikkan and welcome! Your forum name says it all really , if you have the right mind set then 'I can' do this will be a reality. Very best of luck on your journey!
09 Jan 2014, 13:40
:heart: :heart: Hi@ikkan. And Welcome :heart: :heart:
Well done firstly starting this WOL :heart:
Secondly on admitting your start weight that's taken courage and probably few tears, I should know because my start weight was a disgusting 19 stone=266lbs :shock: :shock:
8 months later I'm 3 sizes down in my clothes
and 50lbs. Lost!!!! Amazing.
Absolutely no one in my life knows my weight because same as you I'm embarrassed by these facts.
You can do this because if I can there's hope for anyone I've been doing 4:3 simply because of the amount I need to lose also as I found my first day easy I added the extra one not even knowing 4:3 existed also the day after my fast I get up not hungry and skip breakfast making most days 16:8 this combination I believe is the reason for my fantastic success.
I only eat evening meal on F/days and make it 2courses by way of a reward and because my TDEE is still quite high I assume your will be high so you could do similar.
This forum has been the main source of information, help, advice and support the members are all lovely people waiting to help and answer any queries that we have, I've learned far more on here than I actually took in
reading the book.
Good Luck and let us all know how you're going on. :heart: :heart:
12 posts Page 1 of 1