The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

11 posts Page 1 of 1
No weight loss!
12 Nov 2013, 09:06
Hi everyone - i'm new to this, been doing 5:2 for nearly 2 weeks and haven't lost a thing.. is this normal??! :cry: I'm 5ft 8 and weight 13st, size 14. I've been eating 250 cals for lunch and another 250 for an evening meal, drinking lots of water, and cutting down on alcohol during the week. I've read the book and seem to be doing everything right. I don't find it easy to lose weight, and put on very easily, but I thought a new approach might work!
Re: No weight loss!
12 Nov 2013, 09:33
Lauren just hang in there and read up the tips on the forum here. Just follow through with what you have read about. Some of us slow losers drop the sugar and carbs on fast days. Some people ramp it up to fasting 3 days a week e.g 4:3 or liquid fast with low calories, suggest just give it more time though.

I wish you the best
12 Nov 2013, 09:45
I posted this on another thread, it may help you...When I started I didn't lose a thing for over two weeks so I switched to 4:3 and after much reading on the internet I decided that fasting for at least 16 hours (since my evening meal the night before) was going to be the best fat burning regime for me. I usually break my fast at about 2pm in the afternoon now. At 63 years of age weight loss can be slow. That kick started everything and I have been losing quite well since. I also avoid refined and high carb food and sugar. Don't give up....give it a go.
You may also want to check your TDEE and also reduce your fast day allowance, it's a lot when you're new I know and maybe what you didn't want to hear, but your health is important.Try it for a week.
12 Nov 2013, 09:50
Plus, take measurements! It is very easy to lose inches but not lose weight due to changes in your body's water content. The tape measure is a better guide to fat loss than the scales.

I'd say you should give the diet at least 6 weeks before deciding if anything needs changing. At first your body is not in 'fat burning mode' and it takes a few fasts before your body is able to slip quickly and easily into burning fat and if you're not burning fat you can't lose any fat! Omce your body gets into the groove, the weight will start to come off provided you are not overcompensating on feast days...but it sounds like you're not doing that, so just keep going and see what happens.

Good luck :clover:
12 Nov 2013, 10:17
hi there!

please don't loose heart, I didn't loose anything for about one month when I first started, be patient and the pounds will come off!
hang in there :-)
12 Nov 2013, 10:43
:heart: :heart: Hi Lauren hang on in there and yes measure yourself everwhere, some members do take longer to start losing :heart:
Once it starts you will be amazed by the fat burning effect that this WOL makes to your body shape which no "diet" out there has ever had before :heart: I've been doing 4:3 simply because of the amount I need to lose and because I wake up not hungry the day after fasting I quite often skip breakfast next morning these adjustments you can make later on as required :heart:
:clover: Good. Luck and be patient :clover: Sue. :clover:
12 Nov 2013, 10:47
Hi. Welcome. I didn't lose anything for the first month and then it starting shifting slowly. I have hit another period where I'm not losing, so you have to get used to the fact that the loss is not linear. Also the booze calories add up fast. If I go over my TDEE, it is nearly always alcohol calories, but you might notice you want to drink less when you get into the swing of this WOE. Please use the progress tracker if you are not already as its very good and also quite motivational. Good luck :clover: :clover:
12 Nov 2013, 10:49
Hi Lauren,

Don't worry just keep doing what you're doing :like: . Get off the scales and invest in a tape measure. I measured my waist (fattest part of my stomach), thighs, arms. Although I've only lost a couple of pounds in 3 weeks, my waist measurement has gone down by 7.5cm, and the last time I measured 1cm off my arm (fattest part of the bicep/tricep/bingo wing). I haven't lost anything off my thighs, but I try and do 2 spin classes a week and have put it down to that. So don't give up, it's not about weight, it's about long term health - but the tape measure is a great investment! :oops:
25 Feb 2014, 09:23
Could it be fluid retention
I found that some weeks my weight didn't change on the day I chose to weigh myself but the next day it had gone.
And if you are drinking alcohol that does seem to make the body retain fluid,
As although it's fluid itself it's full of calories
Just a thought
25 Feb 2014, 11:29
Hi Lauren, I thought it was just me, I lost 2 lb the first week and gained a pound in the second week. :grin: but still persevering.
I am on a fast day today and leeping busy. Going to the dentist helped as could not eat much before I went and want to keep them as clean and perfect as he said. :smile: .

I will take up the tips others uggested and hopefully we will both see a loss again soon. Good luck. :clover:
25 Feb 2014, 12:06
Listen to the advice here it's the best you can get. Keep going and Good luck.
11 posts Page 1 of 1