The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi

I'm 11'10 lbs - trying to lose 10 pounds.

Last week was my first week back on the 5:2 (I did it in January with some success but gave up because it felt too hard).

Last week my scales showed weight loss of 2 pounds after the first day of fasting, gained 1 pound the next day and then lost another 2 pounds on my second day of fasting - so overall weight loss of 3 pounds by the end of the second fast day.

However by yesterday I've put all 3 pounds back on. I'm not overeating particularly on my non-fast days - but my appetite is all over the place. The day after my second fast day I was ravenous - then the following two days hardly felt like eating.

Worse, symptoms of IBS which I haven't had for well over a year have come back - bloated, feel full, gassy, constipated....

Today is meant to be a fast day - I'm doing this with my husband which helps - but I feel completely despondent and unmotivated.

Has anyone else had this experience - I thought I would see an average weight loss of around 1 to 2 pounds a week... not sure why my body is doing this. Of course, I'm only one week in so it's probably too early to tell but I am not feeling great about the IBS symptoms.

Thanks
Hi @twofish One week isn't enough to judge this WOL on I'm thinking one month give you a better picture so please stick with it and keep doing what you've done
because our bodies can hold onto so much water weight maybe lowering your carb intake will help with the bloating its carbs that do that to us also by reducing especially on fast days your body will go into fatburning quicker, keep your OH company and carry on lift your spirits because so many members have said that sometimes don't lose for up to 4weeks then great results there's a starting again tent + apparently harder second time around. Good luck + keep in touch. :clover:
Hi, as Sue said give it some more time, it's defiantly not a quick fix but a longer term commitment. Even if your not losing you are still benefitting from fasting. Have a read around the forum lots of info about losing and not losing.
Hi, sorry you feel so demotivated but as the others said, a week is not long enough to gauge how it is going but even without any weight loss you may be losing inches so it is always worth getting out the old tape measure and giving it a good airing and, yes, the health benefits will be going on so it's worth persevering, good luck,

Ballerina x :heart:
The IBS recurrance is probably because of an imbalance in your gut bacteria caused by not eating as much or altering your eating patterns drastically on a fast day.

I have found that this WOE has reduced my IBS symptoms because I have automatically reduced the amount of carbohydrates, especially bread and wheat products I would normally eat. If your IBS isn't wheat related it could be that you have changed to much more fibrous foods (salads and vegetables?) so causing a faster transit time and more gas. Rather than giving up, stick to it but temporarily add in some Acidophilus type supplements or good bacteria foods to help the balance.

Stick with it, your body will adjust.
Thanks everyone - I know, what a wuss I am. It's great that I'm doing this with my husband as I probably would have ditched today altogether - and this forum is also great for motivation and support - thank you!

I'll have a go at reducing carbs and also try the probiotics.

x
6 posts Page 1 of 1