The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
gain after a fast
24 Jun 2014, 09:27
I weigh every day and record it on MFP. I can pretty much guess from what I've eaten/done the day before what my weight will be. Yesterday I had a good fast, I wanted to give in a few times but got through it. I had 2 coffees a 60cal soup and my usual chicken salad for dinner. This morning the scale went up, only a little but I don't know why it went up when I stayed on track. I feel a little cheated. I know all about water weight but I've not done any exercise or anything for that. May be there was loads of hidden salt in the soup :confused: . Just thinking out loud really, I'm sure it will sort it's self out by the end of the week.
Re: gain after a fast
24 Jun 2014, 09:41
I find such things are generally loo related!!
24 Jun 2014, 10:47
Give it a day or two. Our bodies are hard to explain and sometimes it takes them a little while to catch up. That's why sometimes it's better not to weigh every day! And yes, maybe salt in the soup or you didn't drink enough or whatever. Or it could even be the result of something the day before!! You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out, so just keep keepin' on! :)
24 Jun 2014, 11:13
Ditto cblasz!
24 Jun 2014, 11:22
Thanks for your replies. It could be a bit of everything but I just found out @Merlin guessed correctly (sorry if TMI). Lots of prunes for me today :)
24 Jun 2014, 12:02
Snap! I'm up 400g after yesterday's 23 hour fast, haddock soup, oatcakes+tiny cheese.
Annoying innit :0(
Got to love black-coated worker prunes!
24 Jun 2014, 21:57
Hi Dee well you know what I'm going to say @justdee before I actually say it. Water + carbs!!!
Carbs over the weekend make us retain water therefore making us heavier which obviously shows up more with daily weighing, we do need to keep an eye on our weight when like me we're prone to gain so easily and maybe every other day would keep the motivation up as you know I'm a weekly weigh-in person but I do sometimes sneak a look mid week but never more than twice a week.
Tape measure sometimes shows results before our scales then of course after tomorrow's fast you should get a better picture,
More important lay don't get demoralised.
:clover: :clover: :clover:
25 Jun 2014, 05:21
AAArgh! Just did a weigh after a fast (WHY? when I usually weigh monthly?)and I'm 1.4kg up!!!!!
OK, I've not 'been' and I've been shredding, but that's a bit off even for the V&P vary fairy as @FatDog called it.
*a bit demoralised*
25 Jun 2014, 06:50
Steady, girl, prunes time. X
25 Jun 2014, 07:29
I gained this week after my first fast too and if I'm honest with myself I was a bit lax with the old calorie counting so I have only myself to blame :-( I do agree though that sometimes scales say weird things (and I weigh every day so that the normal fluctuations don't freak me out so much) - sometimes you just have to be patient (and in my case) more honest with myself!!!! Work is a bit rubbish at the moment so I blame that partly. I work in a GP practice as a nurse and we're always pushed to the limits. I want to win the Lottery and give up my job please.
25 Jun 2014, 09:17
@Sue.QI didn't really have a bad weekend, went up to TDEE on Sat and below TDEE on Sun. I told you 12stone is my sticking point and my body really doesn't want to go under that, ever though I still need to lose 3 or more stones. @loversghostthe scales don't freak me out ether any more, even when they do go up I normally know why and I prefer that.
25 Jun 2014, 09:24
Must be something in the water happened to me too.
26 Jun 2014, 15:09
Fasting puts the body in a stress situation, which isn't a bad thing per se, as stress can be a good stimulus for adaptation and improvement, but stress can cause increased water retention for example.
Also, as digestion is halted during a full fast, water requirements go down as-well.

Personally I've stopped weighing myself regularly. Body weight is just too volatile if you have a lifestyle that regularly breaks the routine. (irregular fasting, varied food choices, different activities etc)
Taking a look in the mirror and using the measuring tape is just about all I need to roughly gauge the direction I'm going and I can make changes based on that.

I used to weight regularly and analyze every bite I ate when I was prepping for a contest, but as I'm trying to be a "normal" person now, I try to avoid such extreme behavior. It's just not healthy, lol.

So - I wouldn't really pay any attention to short term weight fluctuations. None whatsoever. :)
26 Jun 2014, 16:35
You are right in essence @HungerFitness, but many of us here need to see a positive result in the form of either a lower number on the scale or less cm's on the tape. No matter what anyone else says we can't shake that mentality until we are in a secure place in our own minds. Being paid a compliment or having no clothes which fit when you go to get your summer clothes out, now that was a great one for me. Expensive but great non-the-less. Having to use a belt to eke out another season in those great coral calf length trouser you bought at Easter ,!!
Don't get me wrong I agree with everything you've said , but when you're there you know it and feel it to the Core.
14 posts Page 1 of 1