The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

23 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Weight loss and body fat
11 Jul 2014, 07:00
FYI carorees is away on Hols with minimal wifi, she's not ignoring you, I'm sure she will reply when she can.
11 Jul 2014, 07:51
I sometimes wonder why they even put this feature on scales. Mine at home has me hovering between 30-32% but a different one in the doctor's office has me at 26%. The reading fluctuates quite a lot, too (so both inaccurate and imprecise, I think). I'm not sure the number is meaningful at all, even to track losses (though, having said that, I didn't have these scales til towards the end of my weight loss, so it's hard to say). I think if you really want to know, pay for a DEXA scan or invest in some calipers.
11 Jul 2014, 15:17
I think I've found the body fat caclulator that is recommended by Carorees (it is the US navy calculator). It calculates using body measurements as well as weight and height.
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator. ... y-Fat-Navy

My body fat %age comes out around 12% which is the same as my Tanita scales if I weigh in late afternoon/evening.
11 Jul 2014, 23:14
Franglais,

That calculator gives me 30% BF. The Tanita gives anywhere between 35 and 36.5%.

But the calculator is also ignoring the 4 lbs of blubber I carry on my chest. The Navy calculator seems to be designed for men, with women added as an afterthought.
12 Jul 2014, 05:34
Ah, I didn't think of that@peebles - I don't carry an awful lot on my chest at all so that is why the calculation correlates with the calculator for me!
14 Jul 2014, 09:16
I am found this thread most interesting
I stopped using my tanita scales because it always reads bf 23% no matter how much I weigh. It has stayed the same for years despite the fact that I gave been doing pilates and power yoga for years and am quite strong and fit.
In fact I now can't remember how to programme the scales
14 Jul 2014, 13:47
I think that body fat measurements on a lot of scales are not very accurate at all and I wouldn't get hung up on them. Rely on your tape measure especially in the early days as it gives you a real boost if the inches are going but the scales aren't shifting. :victory:
14 Jul 2014, 15:20
I did exactly that this morning, getting out the tape measure and logging my measurements in the software I use. Small but encouraging changes everywhere but my calves. This despite the fact that water retention seems to have stalled my weight loss this past month.

I'm really starting to wonder if hot weather has an impact on how much water we retain. I'm not drinking more, in fact, for some reason I seem to be drinking less than usual though I try to keep up with my 64 oz a day.
23 posts Page 2 of 2