The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1123 posts Page 61 of 75
Previous 1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 75 Next
Re: Sassy Seniors Sanctuary
29 Jul 2014, 23:44
Azureblue wrote: Light at end of tunnel may be oncoming train :0.

I wasn't going to post here, but Azure, your line just cracked me up. Three months till I'm officially old enough to hang around in this "sanctuary". Three months till I have promised myself I'll be aerobically fit. Whatever that means really.

And when I am old enough, in November, I think I don't fit in well here, as there are ...no grandchildren yet :grin:
30 Jul 2014, 08:39
@wendyjane
Hallo! You're welcome here anytime, we don't keep a tally on age or family members, just rejoice that we're still alive to appreciate it all :0)
I reckon 60 is the new 40 as my mum seemed Very Old (and red hot and sweaty with menopause) when I was young. Mind you, my 80year old aunt does more than me, but I put that down to never having married or had children, that certainly is aging!

The cooking apples on my tree are amazing this year, branches hung low with mega fruit. Hoping for cheap fruit and veg this bumper harvest :cool:
30 Jul 2014, 15:35
Welcome @wendyjane You're in lol :like:
Don't worry about age that's just numbers and grandchildren well its looking very unlikely I'll every become a granny/nan :cry:
Oh well I'm still allowed in here yes theses lovely members accept all members all ages all whatever / anyone. :like: :clover: :heart:
30 Jul 2014, 15:55
Yeh @wendyjane Cmon in and take a pew!
I have such an awful senior query..am about to take out some kinda over 50 plan t o cover funeral costs :confused: tempted to go with one offering me £ 100 worth of M n S vouchers..but thinking it might work out cheaper to just save funeral money every month ..
Coz after all i intend to live til 100, i couldve saved a great deal by then! :lol:
What are other folk doing?
(i want the bare minimum spent on funeral,most of it to be spent on a party)!
30 Jul 2014, 17:22
Good question CM, we are currently being bombarded by these leaflets too. On reflection we've decided to not give the hard earned pension to circling vultures but ensure enough is in the savings for our executors to cover the cost of a modest funeral, £5000 should more than cover it and the ensuing party/bash/wake.
An offspring enquired recently how we'd like to 'go'. Cremation seemed cleanest and least offensive, though OH wants his ashes at Leicester City Football Club and a steam train but I'm keener on the church rose garden so that's hardly us being together! As we won't actually be there though the kids will have to figure it out for themselves.
I suppose I'd better update my will to cover these grandchildren too, now the flow has trickled to a halt at ten.
There's nothing like planning ahead!
30 Jul 2014, 17:49
I wanted to leave body to meducal science - still do really AB( AzureBlue) but then i found they eventually give body back to family to have a funeral .....seems a bit gruesome and upsetting for famberly i think :?: X
31 Jul 2014, 15:13
Here, have a box of mutilated bits back and give it a decent send off.
No, not for me.
I reckon my corpse will still be racked with a hacking cough well after the spirit has departed. A shaking bag of bones.
Hmmmm. Pleasant.
Anyhoo, another sunny day mostly lost to my inner greyness.
31 Jul 2014, 16:19
It is not a good idea to fall off my bike.
Note to self. You are now 64 and cannot go hell for leather on rough ground. Take heed!

On the plus side, i worked off the pizza i had for lunch.
No lasting damage, but a definitely sore rib!
31 Jul 2014, 17:07
@PennyForthem ouch..sorry bout yr sore rib xx
31 Jul 2014, 17:12
Ouch, @PennyForthem! So sorry about your tumble and hope that it's not too sore tomorrow. I tripped over recently, sprawling full length, and it made me remember how much it hurts! No wonder that children cry when they fall over!

@CandiceMarie, my husband and I have both left our bodies to Cambridge University for medical students to practise on! One body is assigned to two students for three years of their course of study. After that there is a small service of thanks and the body is cremated. Relatives may have the ashes back, or not, whichever they prefer. We both thought that we would like our bodies to be useful to someone after our deaths - as they wouldn't be any use to us! We are also on the organ donor register and that takes precedence over the needs of the medical students. Apparently the Uni won't necessarily take the body, depending on what bits it has missing, so we will have to take a chance on that!

I think that those 'Funeral Plan' insurances are a rip-off, as you could end up paying for them for a very long time. Better to set money aside, as @Azurebluesays, or pay upfront to a local funeral director. They are then the one who is taking the gamble on whether the money you have paid will still cover the service you have paid for twenty, thirty or forty years down the line.

Whatever one decides, it is really important to have discussed it with your children/relatives so that they have a clear understanding of what you want. So many families fall out when there is a death in the family and it can be so easily avoided if it has been made clear beforehand.

Well! that's me off my soapbox! Time to go and think about something for dinner, I think! :smile:
31 Jul 2014, 17:20
Hey thanks for that info @stowgateresident ..getting ashes back wd be much less traumatic ..they can just party instead of an upsetting funeral service and then take my ashes if they wish..
Happy to donate organs,they can have what they want,i deffo wont need it any more!
Will go for paying funeral director option i think!
Sorryto hear about yr fall..i fell a few wks ago and fractured my wrist :dazed: x
31 Jul 2014, 17:30
Hey! Old ladies! Stop falling off things and getting wounded! There's a whole summer hols to negotiate and we need to come out the other side alive, well and whole!
*said the barely alive old bird in the corner*
{{{+}}} to injured PFT and CM
31 Jul 2014, 17:35
Thanks, @CandiceMarie. I didn't realise that you had fractured your wrist although I knew from other posts that you had hurt it. I hope that it is on the mend now.

My fall wasn't anything more than painfully embarrassing, really, although I did fracture my wrist falling from a horse a long time ago and I remember how difficult it made ordinary, everyday tasks. Pulling up knickers and getting tights on were particularly troublesome, I remember!

By the way, if you're going down the funeral director option, make sure that they have some sort of indemnity insurance so that, if they go out of business, you won't lose the service you have paid for.

What a cheery thread this has turned into! Death and injury! On a brighter note - my daughter and two granddaughters are coming over from Germany to stay for three weeks. They arrive on Monday, so that is something lovely, but exhausting, to look forward to! :smile:
31 Jul 2014, 18:36
Hmm yeah all those little things are awkward to do..! :doh:

How lovely to see yr DD and the grandchildren SR !@stowgateresident x

I'm waiting to welcome DD andSIL home..returning after seven years down Sarf..i will miss my London visits but will be soooooooo good to have them close
Well we've got back onto cheerier stuff but thanks for yr advice on the serious stuff - v v helpful x :like:
13 Aug 2014, 21:19
Grandma is eighty-eight years old and still drives her own car. She writes:

Dear Grand-daughter,

The other day I went up to our local Christian book store and saw a 'Honk if you love Jesus' bumper sticker .. I was feeling particularly sassy that day because I had just come from a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting.

So, I bought the sticker and put it on my bumper.

Boy, am I glad I did; what an uplifting experience that followed.

I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection, just lost in thought about the Lord and how good he is, and I didn't notice that the light had changed.

It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn’t honked, I'd never have noticed..

I found that lots of people love Jesus!

While I was sitting there, the guy behind started honking like crazy, and then he leaned out of his window and screamed, 'For the love of God!'

'Go! Go! Go! Jesus Christ, GO!’ What an exuberant cheerleader he was for Jesus!

Everyone started honking!

I just leaned out my window and started waving and smiling at all those loving people.

I even honked my horn a few times to share in the love! ;

There must have been a man from Florida back there because I heard him yelling something about a sunny beach.

I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger stuck up in the air. I asked my young teenage grandson in the back seat what that meant. He said it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign or something. Well, I have never met anyone from Hawaii , so I leaned out the window and gave him the good luck sign right back.

My grandson burst out laughing. Why even he was enjoying this religious experience!!

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that they got out of their cars and started walking towards me. I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but this is when I noticed the light had changed.

So, grinning, I waved at all my brothers and sisters, and drove on through the intersection.

I noticed that I was the only car that got through the intersection before the light changed again and felt kind of sad that I had to leave them after all the love we had shared.

So I slowed the car down, leaned out the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last time as I drove away. Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!!
Will write again soon,
Love, Grandma
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Previous 1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 75 Next
1123 posts Page 61 of 75