The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
New to 5:2 diet - help needed
26 Nov 2014, 23:04
I have been on the 5:2 diet for about 5 weeks now. The first few weeks I have had a good steady weight loss, but I haven't lost anything in the last 2 weeks. Does anyone know why that would be?
Hi @Hoody and welcome! :)
It's always nice to have immediate loss, and there could be a number of reasons why you are not showing a loss now after initially doing so. Often initial loss is mainly water associated with storage of glycogen in the body, which tends to be the first energy source the body turns to when calorie deprived. Once you have lost that, observable weight loss can slow, as now the body needs to convert fat to energy and loss of fat can be masked by the daily ups and downs of total body weight. Also the body can be adjusting itself so that fat loss shows via the tape measure rather than the scales - so if you haven't already, do take lots of body measurements and monitor these every few weeks too. And take some photos as well - everyone always wishes they had a before photo once they reach their goal!

Have you read this information from the library? It gives you lots of insight into the vagaries of weight loss!
http://www.fastday.com/fasting/troubles ... h-busting/

If you still have questions after reading this, do get back to us. And tell us more about how much you weigh/BMI and what you want to lose, how you manage your fast days and non-fast days, your dieting history, any health issues you have or medications you are on, what sort of exercise you do - anything that can help us gain an insight into what may be the issues for you re losing weight.

Good luck and congratulations for giving this way of eating a go! :) and keep reading the forum and posting as you can learn so much from the experience of others, as well as giving and receiving support. :)
Welcome to the forums, @Hoody. In the time it took me to find the same link, @Sassy1 wrote everything that I intended to write :) :like:

For some of us, weight loss is not always a linear, predictable process and can proceed by fits and starts. Although this is infuriating when we know how much effort we're putting into this, it's one of those times when we have to trust the process if we know that we're following it correctly. We can't coerce our bodies into losing in lockstep with the schedule we'd prefer. I changed my weight/body fat very slowly and with lengthy plateaus that occasionally demoralised me and triggered much heartache and second-guessing of myself but I still attained my goals.

I look forward to looking through your answers to Sassy1's questions either here or in your introduction. Good Luck! :clover:
Hello from me too.
Only advice I will give for now is use the tracker, measure everywhere, count cals all days at the start, keep it simple and come back to let us know how you're getting on,
You don't say how much your 'good steady' weight loss was. If your overall weight loss averages out at about 1lb a week you are on track. Also if you are of appropriate age time of the month may play a part. Grit your teeth and keep going - it will start to come off again
Welcome !
I will just add that you're here for the long run, it's not a way to lose weight fast.
How much do you want to lose ? What do you do ? 16/8, 5:2, 4:3 ?
Hi and welcome :)
It would be really helpful to know a bit more about your situation so we can try to help you troubleshoot - if you could let us know your BMI & weight, how you do your fast days and how much you've lost & would like to lose that would be a good start. I would guess that it's possible you've just had your TOTM if you've been doing this about 5 weeks, and so possibly if that fell on the weeks where you didn't lose weight it could well explain it as the hormones and water retention can cause temporary havoc on the scales!
7 posts Page 1 of 1