The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

115 posts Page 8 of 8
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Re: Diet Fatigue???
18 Jan 2015, 04:07
@wildmissus and others, it's a problem a lot of us have, lots of us have been in this boat one way or another for years, decades for me. I always think my mother gave me an eating disorder, not bulimia or anorexia, but an unhealthy way of looking at my weight and food. As a lot of you know I'm a believer of mind power, how we perceive it, so it is. So I try to think of food as sustenance, rather than emotional response. I don't think there is a pat answer, however I think we all need to go easy on ourselves. Feeling like a failure is stressful. My own way of dealing with these issues, is to try to fast as best I can, whilst experimenting on ways of solving the problem issues. That way I won't be a big beast with the same issues and also I feel I'm doing something positive in searching for an answer. Good luck one and all
18 Jan 2015, 07:03
No, my waist isn't half my height. It's a lot less than it was, but it isn't there yet.
18 Jan 2015, 09:17
Very wise @GMH.
Good luck with your plan@Wildmissus]. My pedometer does not work when I put it in my bra, so I attach it to my briefs in such a way that, if it detaches, it falls down them!

My TDEE is very low, and I have only been maintaining when eating one meal a day, even though I don't think that I've been anywhere near the limit, so, now that I'd like to lose a little more weight again, it seems that I need to do something pretty drastic in order to go any lower. I wonder if the estimates of TDEE don't fit me. I have been much less active for a while though after major abdominal surgery.
This experience of maintaining has really brought it home to me how easy it usually is to re-gain weight after the more standard approaches to weight loss. It is clear to me, that one simply can't take one's eye off the ball. Fortunately, my appetite has been affected, so I'm not hungry, and I don't seem to have resorted to any emotional eating, so that will help, but I will contine to eat in a very short eating window and ensure that, twice a week, the calories are below 500. I'll keep a close eye on what happens.

It is possible that I don't need to lose any more weight, but I'd like to see if I can lose a few inches here and there, and if I have to severely restrict myself in order to do that, I'll settle for where I am. In order to support me in losing inches and toning up I've joined a gym again. That will be good for general health and fitness and will hopefully give my metabolic rate a bit of a boost.
07 Feb 2015, 05:43
Just wondering how those of us who are fatigued are doing.
I have been working on moving more as a way of breaking the fatigue and getting more energy so I can tackle this. Joined the FItBit thread and establishing a morning walking routine.
07 Feb 2015, 05:51
Hi @Rawkaren,

Over the past two weeks I skipped one fast entirely and boosted my calories for the three other fasts I have done and that seems to have helped a lot. I'm eating 525 calories now on the fast days, which isn't a lot more, just a couple cups of coffee with half and half, but it seems to have taken the edge off.

I wasn't sure if I would fast yesterday, having fasted Monday, but I ended up doing it as I was very busy and not all that hungry, and the whole thing was quite manageable. I am not seeing any eight loss, but I'm holding steady.

So I really want to thank everyone who encouraged me to think that perhaps I was experiencing some of that famine reaction. I'm not going to be forcing myself to fast if that isn't what feels right. Fasting worked as well as it has for me this last year because I was actually looking forward to my fasts.

How about you?
07 Feb 2015, 16:17
@rawkaren, has your increased activity make a difference?

I stuck to 500 cals M, W, F and I have actually enjoyed that and whilst I was hungry the next morning and ate breakfast I feel that eating on fast days has given me a bit more control on non fast days. I have written down everything I have eaten and how I have felt. It has made me aware of how often I eat when I don't feel hungry but the problem I have is that I have set break times at work. To solve that though I know that I need to eat lighter at my previous meal so that I am hungry at the right times. I have read most of 'The Don't Go Hungry Diet' and so much of it makes sense. I can remember short periods of time when I could eat and eat and not put weight on, ie. The Fat Brake, and other times when I would naturally want to light and of course those times when I was 'dieting' and I could eat a scabby horse, ie. The Famine Reaction.

I clipped my pedometer to my pocket when I was working which was hidden under chef's whites anyway and discovered that on work days I am doing at least 12.500 steps but on non work days it can sometimes be as little as 2,500 so when the weather improves a little I will need to get out for a wee walk down the beach - good for the body and mind. One day however I was told 'can you come with me' - fortunately I knew that meant a security check I was going to be asked to empty my pockets so I had enough time to sneekily move my pedometer to the inside of my waist band.

The result was that the week before last I lost 3lbs which was massive to me. My plan for this week was to keep that 3lb off and that is exactly what happened. My only problem is that I am great at making plans but not good at sticking to them. I'm already forgetting to write down my food and I've just eaten too many Doritos when I didn't need any at all! Planning to stick to what I am doing and hopefully I'll get a pound off next week.
07 Feb 2015, 16:25
Well done on your loss @wildmissus. Don't know if my increased activity has made a difference yet but I'm feeling better. Not planning to get on the scales until the end of the month.
07 Feb 2015, 16:50
Well done @Wildmissus and @Peebles! I really love the books by Dr. Amanda Sainsbury Salis. I actually like the second one even better than the first. She refines and in some ways slightly tweaks the methods in the first book. I'm glad to hear you're both doing so much better!

I clip my fitbit into my bra. You might find that works well with your pedometer, depending on the size of it :-)
07 Feb 2015, 23:25
@Tracieknits, I also bought the second book as I really want this way of thinking to work. Hopefully if I keep reading about the same thing then some of it will become engrained.

My pedometer is only small but so is my bra :grin: .
08 Feb 2015, 11:09
Great stuff. I like, in the 2nd book, how she talks about having a weight loss holiday. I think a lot of people on the forum do this when they go on actual holidays. I think the combination of fasting and Don't Go Hungry is a winner. Fasting gets me in touch with what 'hungry' really means.
Previous 1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
115 posts Page 8 of 8