The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

10 posts Page 1 of 1
never seem to get past 100 k
22 Feb 2015, 22:05
G'day everybody - am really trying and on LCHF diet - started in October at 110kg and am now 100 kg but cannot seem to move on.

Bought Fitbit and Aria scales and wonder if they connect with this site at all.

At 167cm I am really over weight and my gut is 122 cm so a long way to go even at 76 years of age.

Have some health issues which limit my ability to walk but hope that if I can get down to 70 kg things will improve.

Only eat a maximum of 1300 calories per day and keep carbs below 20 mg per day - usually my cal intake is closer to 1000.

Your advise will be valued

regards

peter
Hi Peter. Wow. Not many calories sustaining your weight. However well done for shedding 10kg! Plateaus are normal when fasting - most people just wait it out and things start to move again eventually. It's still early days for you. However your intake seems low. Can you tell us more about your BMI and what you eat so we can try and help?

Have you joined our FitBit group? Sorry the scales don't connect with this site.
It was hard to tell from your post, are you fasting 2 days a week and then eating those few calories? If so, I think you need to eat more on your feed days. I know it sounds crazy, but it might be what you need! Have you set up the tracker? If so, it should tell you how many calories you should eat on fast/feed days. Good luck!
thanks very much girls - am on a way of eating being Low Carb High Fat - in October my BMI was 38.4 and today it is 35.3 so thats an improvement
Eat no products with wheat or corn flour, sugar or margarine - I eat palm sized protein and leafy vegetables and butter - drink 8 glasses of water and fell quite well

Will try and set up tracker right now and am not in the fitbit group - how do i do that

Kind regards

peter
peterseaford wrote: Will try and set up tracker right now and am not in the fitbit group - how do i do that
peter

@carieoates can join you.
peterseaford wrote: thanks very much girls - am on a way of eating being Low Carb High Fat - in October my BMI was 38.4 and today it is 35.3 so thats an improvement
Eat no products with wheat or corn flour, sugar or margarine - I eat palm sized protein and leafy vegetables and butter - drink 8 glasses of water and fell quite well

Will try and set up tracker right now and am not in the fitbit group - how do i do that

Kind regards
peter

Peter, some LCHF diet's advocate having a carb re-feed once in a while of safe starches such as sweet potatoes or squash to give a needed insulin spike. You gain wait immediately afterward but over the longer term it might help you.
Hi and welcome to the forum,

May I ask you if you're doing any type of intermittent fasting diet or just the LCHF diet? Based on what you stated as your normal calorie intake, I would say your problem is you're not eating enough. Your body is probably trying to hold onto every ounce it can. My advice, buy and read the 5:2 Diet Plan book by Dr. Mosley. It's a very easy plan to follow and won't leave you feeling deprived, or guilty because you ate a piece of bread or something "forbidden". At 76 years of age, don't you think you should have your cake and eat it too? With this plan, you can. Maybe not on your "fast day", but the next day if you want and calculate that piece of cake into your TDEE count. This is what I love about this way of eating. You diet 2 days a week and eat normal, but mindful the other 5 days. Be aware though that this is a very slow way of losing weight, but also a very easy maintainable way to lose and keep it off. Best of luck to you!
@Inthefastlane speaks my mind.
As others have stated, pick 2 days out of the week and eat 1/4 of your TDEE. Calculate your TDEE (there are many places on forum to do that) and divide by 4. On non fast days, eat at least your TDEE and never less. Combo of fat, carbs doesnt really matter (within reason) .. work on calories not what you eat.

Stay away from sugar.. not completely but minimise intake.

Oh and enjoy some really good meals even if they do take you over a bit, every now and then, but not on the 2 designated fast days.

That should do the trick :-) And it will be sustainable and you get the reported benefits of true intermittent fasting.

Let us know how you go.
I also agree with all the advice here @Inthefastlane and particularly to read Michael Mosley's book.
Best wishes for success!
10 posts Page 1 of 1