The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Interesting stuff. I wonder whether there is any benefit in doing weight training exercises to build muscle and eat more protein to support muscle growth and so perhaps reset the "proteinstat" before too much overeating has happened? Also, if fasting tends to result in preferential loss of fat mass will the proteinstat be less stimulated than in a traditional calorie restricted diet?

I agree that it is worrying when people starting at a healthy weight are keen to lose more weight. There was an interesting article here that also mentioned the folly of trying to keep ones weight too low: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... r-decades/
That's a nice article. Has anyone here read the book?

On a somewhat related note, there is this: http://www.refusetoregain.com/2015/05/b ... ranny.html
Interesting (from the first set of articles) that evidence is mounting that those who diet when they aren't overweight can predispose their systems towards weight gain.

I extensively skimmed what's available of both the text and reviewer comments on Amazon for "Secrets from the Eating Lab" but at this point have to see the actual book. I'm curious to learn if anything in it counterbalances its dire assessment of the state of dieting. Does it contain any actionable alternatives or solutions? What does it say about intermittent fasting? Very little from what I can see. From the bibliography and keyword searches almost nothing in the book references researchers or recent studies that could challenge much of its negativity.

I did like the article in last link (Refuse to Regain), especially this part:

"2. Your optimal BMI should be the one at which you have eliminated or greatly minimized any weight related medical issues (especially blood pressure, diabetes, and lipids). In some people, remnants of the problem will remain, but the vast majority can expect significant improvement and decrease of medications."

YES! I've been thinking for quite a while that using both the relief of medical symptoms (qualitative evidence) and especially blood test results (quantitative evidence) such as triglyceride level, would be a great way to refine the selection of one's optimal BMI and through it identify a personal and rational target weight. Patients/dieters love the first set of measures; doctors must work with and can be convinced by evidence from the second set if you happen to be out of the range of what's typically considered a "normal" BMI. I'd looked at this book before and hesitated. It's in my Amazon shopping cart now.
4 posts Page 1 of 1