The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

5 posts Page 1 of 1
My name is Jody and I'm beginning the 5:2 with the combination of 24 hour fasts on Monday. That will give me the weekend to shop and prepare.
I am on thyroid medication having gained 24 lbs. since last May. I had my 60th birthday last fall and really want to achieve the slender body I was meant to have. Been struggling with terrible sugar cravings for many months and very little ability to deny myself when faced with sweets. Praying this is the answer for me!
Hello and welcome from me, sit back relax and have a read, there's loads here and it s a great distraction at those hard times through the fasting day. Don't forget to measure yourself everywhere. As when the scales are proving troublesome, the tape may tell a different story. Good luck
Hi jvaijko! Welcome! You've come to the right place! I would say I am a fairly good indicator of what can happen (in a good way :grin: ) in your 60's. I was looking at Type 2 diabetes approaching, and was 40 pounds (at least) heavier than I am now. I started just moving more and cutting back a bit and and made some modest progress (a few lbs.)--encouraged by an insurance rebate for improved metrics. Tried a Zumba class and loved it and kept going! Then, 5 weeks of walking everywhere in Europe (carrying my pack :curse: ) with my daughter (newly graduated from college), and I returned about 10 lbs. lighter! But then, I stalled and started to go backwards. Type 2 diabetes and heart disease were staring me in the face! NOOOO!!!!! When I read about Dr. Mosely and the 5:2, I decided to try it for both weight and health reasons. I had my tough days, but overall, it was very doable and not unpleasant. I didn't give things a whole lot of thought, just tried to stay pretty much low carb (feel better that way) and reasonable on non-fast days and lots of chicken veg soup and one salad and fish, chicken or meat. For me, having a little bit for breakfast most days works (a couple of strawberries and nuts, maybe 2 T of plain Greek yogurt). That and lots of black coffee! :bugeyes: I found that I lost the craving for carbohydrates--a good thing! I still never have a sweet unless it is homemade and really, really good! Then, I am satisfied with just a little. One of the biggest things was the way that hunger lost its power over me. I learned that it was not life-threatening! :lol: I could and would live through it! The really surprising thing is how my shape changed back to my natural shape from my late 20's and 30's. I am back to a trim midriff, reasonable thighs, trimmer hips, ankles, neck, face, wrists and feet--yes, feet! Right now at 67, my weight is the same as it was in my 30's. I'm pretty happy! :smile: So, once again, welcome to a new Way of Eating and Living! Lots of people here, much smarter than I, will be able to give you advice and support. :heart: :clover: :heart:
Hi Jody! All my best wishes to you come Monday. I think it's wise to get prepared. Cravings are a bear, I can't decide if I have food cravings or am just trying to eat away my emotions, but either way it's way hard to deal with. I know nothing about thyroid, but plenty of people around here do. My advice is to read all the threads as they come up, even the ones that don't seem to apply at the time, and keep in touch. I get some of my strongest motivation from the maintaining threads; plus really useful info.
If you recognize my avatar, you'll know I'm in the Pacific NW too.
Hello from the other coast. Welcome jvajko! This is a great site.
About thyroid, try the forum here called Fasting with Medical Conditions. I take med. for thyroid.
Good luck, keep posting. :smile: :clover:
5 posts Page 1 of 1