The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Motivation
22 Apr 2016, 13:48
Maybe a better title is motivation when you're very busy...
I haven't been to the gym a single time since I started teaching this semester. I am very busy, and quite nervous about how well I'm doing (I have to go through a lot of evaluations with this job). Part of it is being out of the habit I'm sure.
I just wonder, how do people here make themselves exercise even when there's a lot of other stuff going on?
Re: Motivation
23 Apr 2016, 02:37
I get up at 5.45 and exercise every morning. If I haven't achieved my step count I go out for a walk after dinner. I go to the gym on Saturday morning and at least once on the week. Yes I work full time and sometimes I am tired but the energy I get from exercise compensates. As the sports brand with the swoosh say 'just do it'!
23 Apr 2016, 19:35
ADFnFuel wrote: qw
??
quit whining? That's all I can think of haha

maybe I should finally get a sport band or pedometer of some sort. I do walk here a lot more than I did in Okinawa, so it's not that I'm getting 0 exercise. Going in the morning is also a good idea. I teach late in the day, so I don't necessarily have to get up *so* early.
23 Apr 2016, 20:00
MaryAnn wrote:
ADFnFuel wrote: qw
??
quit whining? That's all I can think of haha

Well no, but that's a very creative interpretation of what started as a suggestion that became a random key sequence!
23 Apr 2016, 23:15
And here I thought it meant quit waiting :smile:
24 Apr 2016, 02:02
It is very hard. A step counter is very motivating and it lets you see that you can do a little bit and still get a lot in. You don't have to exercise for an hour straight, you can do 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. I work 2 teaching jobs, so at times it is very hard for me. I try to at least make time on the weekends. I'm training for a 5K, so I schedule a couple of evenings to train. I bring my clothes to work and change there and go right from there. If I don't, it won't happen.
24 Apr 2016, 06:40
Agree with Pilchards, sometimes the motivation comes after making yourself do it regardless. Since I hit 50 am too scared of stopping exercise for too long as I figure I would have to fight so hard to get this fit again now. I mix it up with three things I mostly enjoy - running, barre and yoga - there is usually one of three I can manage if the other two feel a bit too much of an effort. Am also all for buying a new exercise outfit as motivation and using exercise as time out to listen to some much loved tunes. All about Prince this week.
24 Apr 2016, 09:23
If you don't have to get up too early, then make an appointment to get up earlier and put your kit out the night before. If you can exercise in your room(s) look on you tube, there are loads of exercises there that don't take long and may get you back into it. I'm doing Tone It Up's at the moment 13 mins with bands or 14 min total tone up amongst others. If you are off the injury couch with running you don't have to run for long 30mins incl warm up will set you up for the day.
24 Apr 2016, 10:28
I'm with @Rowglow in that my fitness has been hard won, I'm not about to let it slip if I can help it. My main exercise is running and walking plus strength and flex with lots of squats. I like exercises that don't take up a lot of space or use too much equipment.

I loved your interpretation of @ADFnFuel s qw. Made me smile and perfect to shout at my gremlins on their next appearance (as they surely will) during one of my next runs .
24 Apr 2016, 21:12
I might start leaving qw all over Facebook ;-) Quit waiting is a good one, too. I took your advice and went to the gym yesterday. I lifted weights and ran on the treadmill for about 10 minutes.

RE: throwing hard-won fitness levels out the window. I guess I've done that already with all my foot problems (it's hard to believe it's not that long ago I was running half marathons quite regularly).

I suppose having a goal will be key. So I'm saying here that I'm going for 3 times a week.
24 Apr 2016, 21:30
Actually I've read that muscle memory - like that of being able to swim or ride a bicycle after not having done it for years - means that the time and effort to return to a previous fitness level is much reduced.

So ... qw already!
30 Apr 2016, 22:31
The best motivation for me is when I start feeling uncomfortable in my own body or when I feel like nothing makes me feel happy. Once I start running I feel great. I love my reflection in the mirror and I am interested in life again!
02 May 2016, 14:17
I think my new motto will be qwue: quit whining and use the elliptical. I had a major fail on the treadmill the other night (PF flaring up badly), but hopped on the elliptical instead and was fine.
04 May 2016, 11:33
I didn't make it more than once last week, but I've already been twice this week.
16 posts Page 1 of 2