The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Accuracy of scales
02 Oct 2016, 12:33
Hi

I have been using EKS scales for many years and they have never been reliable (cheapish and bought from Argos) I take my weight to be accurate once I have measured 3 of the same weight in a batch of 3-6 weighings. This is the same whether I measure in Metric or Imperial, and as I record Fast day in Metric and 'my fitness pal' (which links to Garmin Vivofit) in Imperial it is driving me mad.

As you can imagine this takes quite a while every morning doing at least 6 weighings and measuring my waist with tape measure.

The previous posts on this site relating to scales are mainly dated 2013-2014 and I wonder if anyone knows of an accurate scale that only requires one of each measurement to get an accurate and consistent reading. My scales are situated in kitchen on Flotex carpet tiles (pretty rigid on floor boards so unlikely to be affected by carpet and underlay in any other room).

Also what about the BMI and fat measurement facilities of some scales? Earlier posts seem to consider them inaccurate although some sort of starting reference point would add another dimension to overall weight loss/gain. I prefer digital scales as my eyesight is not that good, even with specs and the analogue ones are very hard to read, And another thing, the irritating EKS scales need to be tapped to turn on the display every time I weigh, so 8-10 taps & on/off scales every morning! A set of scales that only need to be stepped on to turn them on would save a bit more time.
Re: Accuracy of scales
02 Oct 2016, 12:37
BTW I posted this in 'Introduce yourself' as I could not find the new post/topic button in the usual forum page. Has it moved? Search did not produce results either.
02 Oct 2016, 20:59
Hi

Sorry, can't give you any advice on the scales, though there should be lots around that only require one reading. I think there are earlier threads that discussed which scales were best - did you try searching on that? No doubt out of date, as new ones come in all the time,

But how much variation is there in each of your measurements? How much would it matter if you just took the first reading? As you know, many factors affect what you weigh at a particular moment, particularly hydration levels and body waste. You can vary 1-2kgs from one day to the next because of this, nothing to do with change in body fat.

I don't weigh anymore, for a number of reasons. But when I did, I did pay more attention to the change in %body fat as a better indicator than weight. Yes, there are inaccuracies in that measurement, as in all, but over an extended time the trend should give you a reasonable idea of what is happening.

I now use how clothes fit and how I feel in myself as the basis for judging the success of my food management strategies!
11 Oct 2016, 21:23
Thanks. My scales don't record body fat and yes my weight goes up and down by 1-3 kg every day, I just want to be accurate on the day. One thing I do notice is that I weigh more after eating a chicken Kare lomen or Thai red/green curry - the coconut milk must be very easily stored in the body!

I did check the old posts but as they were so long ago, I imagine every manufacturer has 'New and improved' their scales to make them ever more complicated so I wondered what Fast day people tended to prefer now.
11 Oct 2016, 22:15
Confused of East Cheam wrote: ... I did check the old posts but as they were so long ago, I imagine every manufacturer has 'New and improved' their scales to make them ever more complicated so I wondered what Fast day people tended to prefer now.

Definitely you want a digital scale, ideally one the reads to a 1/10th of a pound or kilogram (or stone/pound combination for some). Accuracy, which defines a scales' ability to match a given standard - where 1 kg actually IS 1 kg - is less important for most people than repeatability - otherwise known as a scales' precision. You want a scale that provides the same measurement no matter how many times-in-a-row you might weigh yourself.

Precision means you only need to step on the scale once and can trust that number. (As an aside, since you are already taking several measurements with your current scale, you can immediately improve its accuracy quite considerably by averaging those multiple readings and tracking that number.)

Some scales have remote reporting so that you won't have to bend over to read the number. Some can connect to and send the numbers to your cell phone. Which brand? Well, that's where it gets tricky. It 's often the case of identifying which "gadgets" can you do without. The best advice here is to check purchaser comments for the scales that that have the features you desire. Pick the one that resonates with your needs and concerns.

Fat percentage (and BMI) are useless features for home scales because the accuracy is so poor. Fat calipers that estimate fat percentage from a number of body points are also pathetically inaccurate. The gold standard for a trustworthy fat percentage is a DEXA scan (around $100 US). Get one of these once, and you can easily extrapolate the actual numbers it provides for lean mass, fat mass and bone mass to what they would mean to you at other weights.

Realize too, as it seems you may already have, that one's weight will easily increase from morning to evening by as much 2 kg (4 pounds) or more. That's a lot of daily variation that can be most discouraging if you're not aware that it happens. That variation is also why we encourage using the Tracker here which displays a trend line - much easier to see progress.

HTH.
12 Oct 2016, 12:01
Hi and welcome, @Confused of East Cheam. I am currently using a set of Aria scales which link to my Fitbit Flex and my iPhone. They cost about £80 a year and a half ago and, even at that price, they are not entirely consistent. I am maintaining and weigh myself every day just to keep track of how my weight is going. Fortunately, I am now in that happy place where the scales and whether they are up or down, is no longer a reason to binge in a big way. I have a rule that I only step on the scales once and that is the reading that counts, particularly on 'weigh-in' day when that weight is recorded on my tracker.

Prior to the purchase of the Aria scales I used a set of Salter digital scales with a big, clear readout and there was a choice of three settings for pounds, stones and pounds or kilograms. I think that they were pretty accurate but, again, I had my 'one chance' rule simply because I didn't want to become obsessive.

If I were you, i would look at a few of the better brands online, read the reviews and go with whatever feels right for you. Then, once you have purchased them, trust them! Weigh yourself once a week while you are trying to lose weight and give yourself a break! Good luck in your search!
12 Oct 2016, 17:23
Thanks Stowgateresident - I have heard of Salter as they have been going for decades so will look at their range. I don't need the fancy BMI or fat records. As I don't have a TV and even if I did, would not watch advert channels, what is pushed out in the market thankfully bypasses me. I prefer recommendations from real people. I did try looking at Amazon options a few days back - all so full of additional extras - I will look at the reviews.
7 posts Page 1 of 1