The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Anyone here take it as a supplement

An article from an Australian newspaper from a few years back
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-an ... 1kisj.html

the summary from this article
The experts' verdict

Sydney-based pharmacist and naturopath, Phil Wade, says CoQ10 not only plays a role in driving 100,000 chemical reactions a second in every cell in our bodies but is also the "ultimate antioxidant" that soaks up cell-destroying free radicals, thus slowing the ageing process.

While in an ideal world we should be able to get adequate levels through natural food sources, Wade says modern food production means CoQ10 often doesn't survive the journey from field to plate. Hence the need for supplements. Because levels also reduce with age, he believes the need to supplement becomes more important as we get older.

Naturopath Elina Raitsina, from About Life in Sydney suburb Rozelle, agrees CoQ10 is a "fantastic antioxidant". Raitsina sees adults of all ages using it. But, as with all supplements, she says you should check with your doctor before taking it. Although CoQ10 is generally considered safe, it can interact with some medications.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-an ... z368Khw8Xj

I wonder if I need this as a supplement or like a lot of other things.. can actually get enough from a balanced diet

thoughts?
My OH took it when on his statins as CoQ10 production is much reduced by statins. Said to be useful as a supplement when older too.
I take a Wellwoman 50+ vitamins etc that includes 2mg of Co-Q10 in it. I do think because of my age that ageing makes the absorption of nutrients from food less efficient & that a supplement is helpful.
I started taking it a couple years ago when I was on Statins. I take a low dose daily and kick it up one day a week . I no longer need the statins but still take CoQ10 because I believe in it.
Hi julianna this is one of the supplements recommended to take if you have ME/ CFS..unfortunately tho,need it in very high doses and its expensive to buy. Too expensive for me at any rate
We all make less of this after age 40 but i guess for peep in reasonably good health, an average dose will be enough to help make up the shortfall x
CandiceMarie wrote: Hi julianna this is one of the supplements recommended to take if you have ME/ CFS..unfortunately tho,need it in very high doses and its expensive to buy. Too expensive for me at any rate
We all make less of this after age 40 but i guess for peep in reasonably good health, an average dose will be enough to help make up the shortfall x

Are there natural sources that can avoid the expense? Like my selenium happy to go half way (i take a supplement some days and brazil nuts the other)
If you take CoQ10 frequently, be alert to changes in your immune system. It can push it into a hyper-reactive state where you are prone to inflammatory reactions.

I overdid it a few years ago with CoQ10, because it helped lower my blood sugar. After taking it for 8 months I was bit by a house spider, of the type that had bit me many times before, but this time I ended up with my whole leg swollen. A horsefly bite a few weeks after that made my whole arm swell, and then the joints in my hands swelled up, too , very visibly, and stayed that way for weeks. I had to wear splints it hurt so much to bend my thumb.

I had no previous history of autoimmune problems or arthritis before this.

I did some research and discovered that CoQ10 can make the immune system do this. I cut it out entirely and my joints slowly returned to normal. Since then I have been bit by spiders and flies with only the usual small welts. My hands have no joint swelling or pain.

Too much antioxidant of any kind can mess up how your mitochondria work and lead to some bad outcomes. So don't go overboard with them. Hucksters make it sound like you need antioxidants to keep from "rusting", but unless you are an old Ford, this is over simplistic twaddle.
I have a non-or-self- diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis, much under control because of Niacin, Ashwagandha and some other herbs.
I started CoQ10 yesterday, and also took it today. That is a formula that includes 50mg of CoQ10, high doses of Vit K, Magnesium, Vit D, Calcium and Vit E,
I´ve had pain on left hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, knee and foot since yesterday (I also took it today, before realizing that CoQ10 is causing it -?).

Thanks for your posting. It is unique. No medical site warns autoimune patients, or states RA as a side effect; but ehealth does show a 4 to 5% of people with joint pain, or reumathoid arthritis, while or after taking CoQ10.

Update:
In fact, I had also started Shilajit and Spirulina, and later learned both can cause these symptoms. I stopped with both and the pain and swelliing went away. So, in my case it was NOT the CoQ-10. The coenzime is helping me wth the sleep cycle (from day one), and added energy..
It is clear that it was Shilajit the culprit. After a while I will try Spirulina again in smaller doses, as the last time I tried it, I felt a little, as well.
8 posts Page 1 of 1