The FastDay Forum

The 5:2 Lab

6 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been trying to work out why I cannot seem to sustain my will power well into the evening after having fasted all day long.

I did a search and found this awesome article and thought I'd share it with everyone that is struggling with inner demons (ha ha)
Here it is -
Why Your Willpower is Like a Muscle - And How To Use It http://www.willpowered.co/learn/willpower-is-a-muscle

It seems that my willpower "muscle" is well tired by the time dinner comes round which is why I'm not sticking to the 500 cal limit for 5:2 - instead what I've been doing is a fasting window of 17 hours and then a massive binge of calories every day.

@Sassy1I'm still trying to work out why I do this. I am a very disciplined person: I go to the gym and knock out 16 km on the bike 3 times a week and of course do the fasting too....I hope this is a blip that will go away once my work situation becomes clearer/stable.
Ah yes, you have to practice it! Mine varies depending on many factors!
Hi @wakki22

Thanks for this. I read a number of the articles on this website, all quite interesting.

The source article does make sense. The theory that you break big goals into smaller goals is something that we all know, maybe not always associating it with willpower, but I guess they are related!

But as Debs says, there are many things that influence willpower, no matter how much you have practiced! But understanding these factors may help with the willpower.

Wakki, if the BMI shown under your avatar is correct, it may be that you are at a weight that your body is comfortable with, so that finding a strategy where you can lose weight may be difficult - as your body will fight to keep you at your current weight, leading to you bingeing in the evening if you haven't eaten all day. I think this is where I am.

Have you tried just eating according to hunger, generally choosing from a wide range of nutritious foods, but allowing yourself other foods if that is what you really fancy? And waiting 20mins after eating before having anything else? And finding activities for the evenings to keep your hands busy?

Good luck and best wishes. :clover: :smile:
@Sassy1 - thank you for your reply. Yes, that's my BMI.... I guess I don't "really" need to lose weight. I would like to. I have belly fat that I can't shift from my 20's. It's not a lot, and some would say I'm vain trying to lose it.
And maybe because it's not dire... It is a bit more difficult to lose and to maintain momentum. It was way easier when I was heavier.
I think that willpower is not always enough! It's key to change your environment and routines etc. There are certain foods I just can't have in the house or I will eat them all. I live alone, so this is easy, but maybe you don't. Still I try to have lots of other healthy options, that I enjoy, on hand instead. But also like Sassy said, your BMI seems fine! So your body is probably very resistant. You should just focus on being healthy and maintaining your current weight. And also being happy! Life is short!
wakki22 wrote: ... It seems that my willpower "muscle" is well tired by the time dinner comes round which is why I'm not sticking to the 500 cal limit for 5:2 - instead what I've been doing is a fasting window of 17 hours and then a massive binge of calories every day.

I'm still trying to work out why I do this. I am a very disciplined person: I go to the gym and knock out 16 km on the bike 3 times a week and of course do the fasting too....I hope this is a blip that will go away once my work situation becomes clearer/stable.

Then substitute some decipline for willpower. How? Plan the contents for tomorrows 500 cal meal today. That way there's no reason to nibble your way through the fridge at a weak moment when everything looks too good to ignore. When the meal is planned ahead of time, it's mindlessly easy to ignore otherwise tasty ingredients that don't apply.
6 posts Page 1 of 1