The FastDay Forum

Fasting today?

Every day there will be a new topic in this forum for today's fasters to chat & support each other.
Please don't make extra threads in here besides the daily fasting threads, if you've got a question please post it in the relevant forum or ask in today's 'Fasting Today' thread, thank you.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Fasting Thursday 6 April 2017
05 Apr 2017, 22:26
My weekly challenge is to attempt a fast day following a day where I haven't overindulged (only fasting because I do feel a bit uncomfortable and my clothes are a bit tighter than I like). Although I probably ate a little more than I needed yesterday, I don't classify it as overindulgence, so will be trying to fast today.

So far I have had 2 large glasses of water and 2 large mugs of tea. I was hungry first thing, but that has abated for the moment. I have an exercise class later this morning, and I will be able to manage not to eat before then. But as for getting through the afternoon.... We will see. It is likely it will just end up a light day, but I will be okay with that. As I have mentioned many times lately, 500cals rarely fills me up now and I refuse to go to bed hungry. But let's see how today goes.

Best wishes and good luck for today's fasters, whatever your method! :clover: :smile:
Thank you Sassy for starting this page. From Melbourne: you must have done it in the middle of the night. I am hanging around the 59 kg mark. I just read on the internet that post menopausal women have a hard time losing weight - low estrogen levels. :cry: Maybe my increasing age is the difference to my previous attempts. I am 60, though I do not feel that old. But naturally I am also glad that I ain't dead yet! So exalted age has its other benefits. :grin: All the best, Sassy, to your efforts of eating sensibly. :clover: :clover: :clover:
Hi Thursday fasting team... I fasted today in my usual window....
I haven't done anything about reducing the amount of junk I'm eating. And for the moment I'm ok with that. The fasts reset me, so any rubbish I consume seems to have little impact. Except for the salt content of my food that increases water retention making me put on 2kg over the weekend.
I'm taking each day as it comes, so deciding on the day if I'll fast or not.
Thanks @sassy for posting today.
Fourth fast was hard today. Surrounded by food all day. Ugh. Got through it though although going to bed early because I am just so over it. Feeling lethargic and just off. Tomorrow is a fresh day. @wakki22, sixty is only old to a teenager. There's plenty left in the tank. I'm not 60 but you need to watch a bit of Charles Eugster (below). 60 is a baby. Keep on fasting and get some exercise. Well ... That's my plan, anyway. :-)
I'm fasting today, my second fast of the week. My weight is finally starting to shift downwards after a long plateau and I have now lost 10lbs since I started again in early January.
The sun is shining and everything seems easier on a sunny day.
I hope everyone's fasts went well. I did end up with "just" a light day, but that is okay.

Totally agree @SianS that things seem easier on a sunny day. We have a lovely sunny day here, though the smoke from the controlled burns does taint the air a bit. :frown:

@Fat_Teacher, going to bed early on a fast day is a good idea. It would have been difficult being surrounded by food all day. Hopefully you felt much better in the morning and glad you managed to fast. Exercise is great to do too. Good luck for sticking with the fasting. But if you do find you really don't feel like it, take a break for a week or two, and just concentrate on eating as nutritiously as you can until you feel ready to start again.

I also agree that for most people nowadays, 60 is not old. I will be 60 next year and find it hard to believe. I know quite a few people in their 70s, even 80s, who don't seem old either!

@Wakki22, so what are you counting as junk, and how much are you having? It can be for some people that we need to keep some of the less nutritious foods in our diet. But if you are eating more than you would like of such foods, have you worked out why?

Yes, @Margotsylvia, I understand that it can be harder for us post menopausal women to lose weight. And I also understand that our bodies need a bit more fat to protect our organs and help with hormone production (somehow) - so we are programmed to weigh more than we did when we were younger. If we were slim as a young adult, we shouldn't expect to be as slim now.

Best wishes all! :clover:
@Sassy1 by junk I mean a large bag of kettle crisps, maybe a hot-cross bun, an entire box of savory biscuits (Arnotts shapes) - any one or two of these items of an evening before and after a very healthy dinner.

My dinners are good. No probs there - I eat fish and heaps of vegies. Only problem is portion size where I'll go for seconds if there is any.

So basically the issue isn't so much the foods, but the quantity. And the resultant calories. For the 5:2 I was meant to only have 500 cals for dinner - but failed that one due to the above.

As for a reason -I've been researching because I have the same question as you and I guess my will power is used up by the evening. So watch this space for some more self analysis lol!

Check this article out! It's awesome. I'll start a new thread on it. Why Your Willpower is Like a Muscle - And How To Use It http://www.willpowered.co/learn/willpower-is-a-muscle
Hi @wakki22

I replied to your new thread on this topic before seeing this.

I do think not having large packets of less nutritious foods in the house is the best strategy to avoid overeating these!!

If you don't want to give these foods up, then buy smaller packets. There is evidence that people eat less the more unwrapping they have to do of such foods.

If you buy the big packets, just put a small amount in a bowl, and leave the big packet in the cupboard. Having to get up for refills can also be a disincentive. Don't do anything else while you eat those foods, concentrate on them.

Eat the hot cross bun as a dessert if you really want it - and in general make sure you do feel full after dinner. Have some fruit for dessert.

And as I said in the other thread, find something to keep your hands busy (knitting, coloring in) and drink water or herbal teas.

I know, I know - you know all this, and it is easier said than done. (I know all this but still don't always follow it...)

Good luck (again!) :clover: :clover:
8 posts Page 1 of 1