The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 2 of 2
I'm back
Can't decide whether to low carb or 5.2
Answers on a post card please. As I can't do both. :geek:

Just looking at all of us in this thread ...........so many 2013 starters. Interesting.
Dear @carieoates

Only you can say which of those strategies you feel you are most up to doing! As you know, I am not a fan of low carb - avoid added sugar of course, but I believe that some whole grains, and a variety of fruit and starchy veg are important in our diet. Although I struggle to have light days now, and generally believe that we should eat according to hunger (not easy in practice!) I do think there is some benefit in fasting, and also merit in Tracieknits philosophy of "keeping the body guessing" by having different amounts of food on different days.

Best wishes whatever you choose! :clover: :smile:
I low carb only on fast days @Carieoates.

I try to limit the carbs on other days. I may think of what I'd like to have and have half. Or I may allow something naughty and splurgy for one meal, keeping portions super modest for the rest of the day. I can't do low carb all the time. I aim for 100g ish on non fast days, and I don't always succeed. But any reduction is a good reduction.

For example, one favorite treat is potato chips/crisps, with a glass of champagne. I now buy little 3/4 ounce bags and that's what I allow for a serving, instead of eating freely from the bag.
Hi, @carieoates! It's good to see you on here. You may remember that I am not a member of the low carb brigade but a very keen supporter of 5:2, so it's easy to know which one I would choose - indeed have chosen! I suppose that, like @Tracieknits, my carbs are reduced on fast days anyway because of the need to keep the calories down, although I don't actually count calories either! On other days I tend to reduce my carbs and fats when I am in weight-loss mode, although when I am in maintenance mode the carbs very quickly become part of my food intake again! Yum! :smile:
@Carieoates - I do eating windows (with a one day fast sometimes) and lowER carbs, not low. I try to keep them under 100g.

It's not to late to join our June Solstice challenge!
20 posts Page 2 of 2