The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Back after a long absence...
21 Jul 2017, 06:52
Hi everyone.

I was first here in 2014 and saw amazing results. I've just looked back at my tracker and seen just how great my progress was then. In 7 months I lost more than 2 stones in weight and 5 inches from my waist! At that point I was 3 years into the menopause and having a pretty awful time.

Fast Forward 3 years and I'm back again. My son is getting married in 7 weeks' time and I want to feel good in my dress so that I have confidence in the dreaded photos! I didn't want to lose a huge amount of weight this time, I haven't actually put much on since 2014, I wanted more to tone up and be healthy, so I went back onto the 5:2 about 5 weeks ago.

I am struggling so much to lose any weight at all this time, although my waist and belly has gone down a bit. I am strictly sticking to the plan, not going mad on my eating days, exercising more than ever before and I've only seen just over 1lb leave me in 5 weeks. I did have a very sedentary job where I sat at a desk all day, I'm not working much now so can walk the dogs for 5 miles plus a day and I swim.

Any ideas anyone please? Am I destined to always be at this weight no matter what I do? I'm 56, 6 years post menopause but still getting night sweats. My BMI is 24.93, so just in the healthy range. Thanks in advance xx
Hi, Welcome back! I imagine that since you don't have a lot to lose it is harder. You might want to try something slightly different and see if your body will react. Instead of fasting 2 days, you could do 16:8, which is fasting every day for 16 hours and eating healthily in an 8 hour window. You also might try cutting down on carbs! Also, since you are exercising so much, that could be affecting the scale. Have you taken your measurements?

Keep at it, I'm sure it is making a difference somehow!
Hi @radleykitten and welcome back

Totally understand your frustration! Giving fasting a bit more time or trying a variation, as cblasz suggested, may make a difference.

And, as also mentioned, weight (loss) is not always the best indicator of fat (loss). You may have increased muscle with your exercise, and if you are feeling more toned then that of course is good.

It might be worth considering what and how you have been eating. In particular, how has your eating behavior changed since you lost weight on 5:2 the first time round, and what do you think are the reasons why you put on a little since then. If there has been a change in your eating, maybe you can look to modify these behaviors??

I am not a great fan of low carb per se (i.e. I believe that sufficient carbs, including whole grains, starchy veg and a range of fruits have a place in a balanced diet, and I have read research that says nutritious carbs are important for post menopausal women) though I do understand that low carb diets can help with weight loss. Certainly cutting down on added sugar /sweetened products and "white" carbs (i.e. non whole grain) is generally a good thing to do. But I am sure you know that.

As I am also sure you know that generally sustainable weight loss is not done quickly. And what works for one, may not work for others.

But maybe perseverance will win out - good luck and best wishes. :clover: :smile:

NB It does seem that for many, the second time (of any diet) may not be as successful as the first. Sorry to not be more encouraging!! :razz:
Thank you both!

I definitely think it's harder to lose weight the older I get. And I do agree that the weight loss is only part of it, as I do feel more toned with all the exercise. I found it so easy first time around that I was probably just expecting too much this time! I think the weight came back on when I was sitting behind a desk, all day every day

I'm strictly vegetarian and eat a healthy diet (almost) all the time. I don't snack, and am naturally on an almost 18:6 anyway. I think I need to maybe mix it up a bit, so today I've had a small breakfast to hopefully shock my body into action!

I bought a dress for my son's wedding back in March, it fits but is a little snug around the middle and I don't want the seams to burst during dinner at the top table, haha. I'm going to continue to work hard for the next 6 weeks and I'll report back with any progress :)
Welcome back!

Seeing as you already have a healthy BMI, I think your weight loss is going to be slow, unless you get really extreme with it.

Perhaps all you need to is to add some exercises that do things like target your waist? You might find that helps the dress fit better without actually changing your diet.

Or, if all else fails, go keto low carb for five or six days before the wedding and you should lose a "whoosh" of water weight (that will come right back on as soon as you return to normal eating) that might help with the tight dress.
Im back too.

Still been doing my 4:3 and for a few months back was doing some really strict fasting.

Good to see all the old faces back here. Did I miss any dramas?
Lovely to see your post, @Juliana.rivers! I always think of you when a challenge is on, as you ran so many of these. Cblasz has taken on that role, which is much appreciated.

Main "drama", if you can call it that, is that it is very quiet on the forum, but there are still some people around who you would know. In fact, almost all the regular posters are people you would know. Some new members do post from time to time too.

If you haven't already, do read through some of the discussion threads to get updates on what has been happening.

It's great to see you here, do keep posting. Margotsylvia is doing 4:3 at the moment, you could keep each other company.

Best wishes! :smile:
" lost nearly 2 stone in spring 14 but sadly it has all returned. I have half heatedly attempted to fast in the interim but failed to fully engage. So here I am back at my beginning weight. I did alternate day fasting for two weeks but ate evening meal with family. I am now fasting twice a week. I have lost three lbs and 2 inches from my waist so it was really needed but loss has been much slower this time around. Initially I lost 4lbs in first week the first time with less effort so a little disheartening but also older and working less although still exercising.

Swimming is my goto exercise as I have a history of back troubles, I combine my swim with HIIT training to really work my heart, makes quite a difference. School holidays are here which means self indulgence to exercise freely is lost as I have three boys, my two oldest have Autism and dislike exercise, so everything becomes a battle. Determined to continue and make this my WOE as I already feel a little better. Just wished sleep would come my way more easily. being reason for evening meal as sleep is impossible without substantial evening meal. :oops:
Hi, Back, I'm recently back myself. I'm in my 60s and this time I wasn't showing any results at the beginning, first five weeks. To jump-start the loss, I fasted 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, for just a couple of weeks. My fat stomach reduced so much! Now I am back to twice a week until I meet my goal. I expect to be there in two to three weeks. I don't know if this helps you, or anyone, but thought I'd share. Greetings from Florida!
9 posts Page 1 of 1