The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

30 posts Page 1 of 2
Roll call!
16 Aug 2017, 10:35
Chirp, chirp - that's the sound of crickets, since it is SOOO quiet on the board right now.

So, if you are here, please check in. Tell us who you are, where you live, what your current WOE is, and anything else you'd like to tell us!

My name is Chris, I live in CT in the U.S. , I am a teacher getting ready to go back to work (2 jobs) and somewhat stressed about it!!

My current WOE is eating windows from 12-8 each day and eating moderate carbs. I'm being a little lax right now as I enjoy my last 2 weeks of summer and getting ready for the school year. I'm looking forward to the structure of the school year, when I plan to get back on track full speed ahead! :geek:

Looking forward to learning about who else is here!!
Re: Roll call!
16 Aug 2017, 11:16
I'm here!

I'm Moogie, I live on the south coast of the UK and am not currently fasting due to ill health (CFS/ME), but eager to get back to it when the docs get me feeling a bit better. I hope things pick up a bit here once everyone stops sunning themselves and returns indoors, lol.
16 Aug 2017, 15:10
Hello,
Thanks for posting this - good idea! I'm Julie, I live in New York City. I'm also a teacher enjoying my last bits of summer.

I lost a bunch on 5:2 years ago, then quit and gained it all back. This summer I have started up again. I've been doing two fasts a week, one for 24 hours and one for 36. (So on one fast day I eat dinner, on the other fast day I don't have a meal, just broth and coffee) I'm also giving up sugar! Which is a big challenge for me since even on 5:2 I managed to eat my fill of candy. I've gone cold turkey on the sugar and it's been going well.

I've lost 13 lbs since July 1st, so I'm very pleased! We'll see if I can keep it up when I'm back to the stress of work and a crazy schedule.

Cheers
16 Aug 2017, 16:49
OMG nycnyc2013 -- that's fantastic!!!

I'm Tracie, in upstate New York - midway between Montreal and NYC. I'm a weight loss turtle. I'm down 70 pounds but it's taken 5 years. Currently I'm doing low carb combined with eating windows of noon to about 7pm. I'm not losing weight as fast as I'd like, to be honest. If the scales are right (and I have my doubts about that) I'm only down about 6 pounds from June 26. I'm a stay at home mom to a 16 year old and it's amazing how little time I feel like I have to myself in the summer! I hope to be on more in September.
18 Aug 2017, 03:32
I think a few more need to answer the roll call! (Trust a teacher to think of this... :grin: :grin: :grin:)

I live in the beautiful Dandenong Ranges, with OH, elder son, and the 2 dogs you see in my avatar. I spend most of my time on leisure pursuits. I am very fortunate to have been retired for almost 5 years - the benefits of working for the government all my career (as a social researcher and statistician) and being able to access my superannuation pension at 55.

I started 5:2 a few months after I stopped paid work - I don't think I could have handled any sort of diet while I was still working (note my response elsewhere to nycnyc's comment about stress...).

5:2 worked a dream, I lost 18kg (almost 3 stone, 40lbs) in 8 months, and kept if off for quite a while but only by continuing to fast twice a week. Realised that I actually needed to address the bad habit - evening overeating - that was meaning I needed to fast to maintain. And that continues to be a struggle. I think I have probably regained around 5kg. I don't 5:2 fast very often now - I find it very difficult to keep the cals low - but I do try to have light days now and then.
18 Aug 2017, 06:52
Hi [incompatible emoji removed] , I am in West Yorkshire and I am doing ADF I find this easier than 5:2 as when I was doing that I had to be careful what I ate on slow days with ADF I can relax and just count calories on fast days.
18 Aug 2017, 09:27
I'm still around after 4.5 years, lost 12kg in the first 6 months, gradually gone back up to my current 79kg.
I'm 16:8 and low carb up to 80g, also gluten free but not stressing it, life can be 80:20 on the good side :smile:
I'm in the Midlands UK with 11 grandchildren keeping me busy :lol:
I can feel twitches of Autumn Refeed coming on, when my body naturally wants to eat more before winter, going to be mindful of that, especially when the evening munchies creep up around 9pm :shock:
*No Nibbling!*
Have a happy day folks :like: :clover: :heart:
19 Aug 2017, 10:13
I'm Ylva from Sweden. Married, two sons (one left home five years ago, the 18 yr old is still here) nowadays have two Jack Russell boys and.....will go on early retirement Oct 1, until then I'm on vacation. The retirement deal I got from the bank is 62.5% of ma salary until I'm 65, then the ordinary retirement kicks in. Words can't explain the relief I feel.
Did 5:2, fell of and went on low carb in December. 18:8 a couple of months ago and almost two weeks combined with 5:2. Might sound complicated but it isn't and it works :)
19 Aug 2017, 22:18
Hi @Wolfie, I can totally associate with the relief you feel at being able to retire early with a reasonable pension!! I think it is awful that people who are reliant on government welfare pensions in Australia are being required to work to older and older ages. Often these people are in jobs where they started work very young and are worn out by the time they reach 60, but then to have to work til they are close to 70... Assume similar in other countries?
21 Aug 2017, 10:56
How'dy fellow fasters
I need a slap as I'm not here often enough....esp as I'm a mod... just back form lovely holiday in Spain, bit worrying about the terrorists just up the island.
Will weigh on Friday or Saturday morning and go from there, I like to low carb, but have experience in all IF apart from the liquid only one.
Count down to next holiday 59 days. No kids [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed] [incompatible emoji removed]
21 Aug 2017, 11:24
I live in Ottawa, Canada and started 5:2 exactly 4 years ago this month. Over about a year I lost 40 lb and kept off about 35 for 2 years but last year, the deadly Creep on the scale started and I have gained back 20 of those 40 pounds. Not a disaster but back in overweight territory so planning to get back on the IF horse.
I have tried low carb, including ketogenic diets and have learned that I am definitely one of those carb sensitive people. Increasing carbs always means increasing ( and rapid!) weight gain for me. But 5:2 was the best. I just seem to have a problem sticking with the fast days. Currently on holiday visiting family and other than the occasional "eating window ", caution and restraint are out the window :oops: .
I am determined to go back to 5:2 because I know it works for me, the only thing that ever reliably did. And plan to come back here more often too, as it has been such a good place of support. I know the number of visitors
Isn't what it used to be but still a great group. Hope to be posting in Fasting Today again soon
22 Aug 2017, 13:17
Hi I'm Trudie, back for the 3rd time since starting in Jan 2013 !! I want to stick to 5:2 again like I did back then !! I'm back to my original starting weight but I know this WOE works so just got to get on with it. Lovely to still see some of the original names still here.
22 Aug 2017, 19:57
Thanks everyone for checking in. It's good to see so many people returning!
23 Aug 2017, 08:29
See Fat Teacher's post.
23 Aug 2017, 08:42
Hi everyone. I live in Sydney Australia and, like so many here, am a school teacher. I'm in my mid-fifties, male and trying to avoid all the ills that come with obesity in the second half of life.

I started 5:2 the day after I watched the Eat, Fast and Live Longer program on Daily Motion in March 2013. When I was first here, I was @The Fishbaum and 5:2 is the only thing that actually worked for me. I stopped after having some unrelated health problems and foolishly thought that I had lost enough and didn't have to do this anymore. I was wrong and gained more than ever. I came back in 2014 but quit when I went back to university to finish off my postgrad teaching degree. I thought just being busy would help me lose weight. It didn't. I just became enormous.

So I came back this March to the only thing that works for me. Somewhat older, signficantly wiser. Lesson learnt: This is how I have to live the rest of my life.

I fast Mondays and Thursdays without fail. I only eat one 600 calorie meal for dinner on those days. I rarely eat breakfast so I keep my eating within an eight to nine hour window on the other days.
Perhaps, I will once again become @The Fishbaumwhen I am no longer a fat teacher and will merge my two trackers to record the whole of my journey. At the moment I am still 7kg heavier than The Fishbaum's lowest so I will wait until I get under that before our two souls become one again, if, indeed, I take that step. Maybe I will just stay as Fat Teacher even when I am finally Fit Teacher. Who knows!

I come here about three to six times a week just to see what's happening and to gain a little inspiration. I learn so much from those that are here more regularly.
30 posts Page 1 of 2