The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

19 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Noob. Hello from Scotland!
18 Sep 2017, 19:35
@StowgateResident

Thanks! Do you mind me asking what a typical fast day meal looks like for you? :?:

Have just ordered the first Hairy Dieters recipe book as I someone on here I think mentioned in a post that they always used a recipe from the Hairy Bikers diet books for their 500cal meal, and the reviews on Amazon are pretty good.

Just punting for ideas really, will also have a look on the forum more generally :like: :geek:
18 Sep 2017, 21:00
Hi @floo76

Good to hear that you enjoyed a satisfying meal on your fast day, it sounded very tasty!

There is a recipe section in the LEARN pages, and I think some discussion threads of ideas. Some people make the most delicious sounding meals!

Some of us are not cooks tho (!) so I still had the same meals I always had, but removed the pasta, rice, reduced the starchy veg, ensured there were lots of low cal veg, and reduced the amount of protein (maybe!).

For some it seems better to have a meal already prepared to avoid thinking about food; for others, there is satisfaction in getting through the day then preparing a lovely meal. All those smells during preparation can help start the enjoyment of eating process (or just make you ravenous!!). But it is worth knowing in advance what you intend to have.

Have fun finding lovely meals! :smile:
18 Sep 2017, 21:42
Hi again, @Floo76. My evening meals on a fast day are along the same lines as @Sassy1. I don't do anything special, certainly not 'diet' meals but cut down on the carbs (slightly) and avoid very high calorie foods such as anything with pastry or deep fried.

Today, rather unusually, I had two grilled Lincolnshire pork sausages (from a local supplier - very lean and meaty), carrots and peas. No potatoes today because sausages are rather high in calories. I don't actually count calories but that probably came in under my 500. I will shortly have a low-calorie chocolate drink before bed as I can't go to bed hungry and it gives me something to look forward to!

On other days I might have a lean pork loin fillet, baked salmon/whitefish, lamb's liver, lamb leg steak, roast chicken breast or a home-made casserole of beef, chicken, lamb or pork. Sometimes I will have two or three boiled new potatoes, or a small amount of rice or pasta and very occasionally, for convenience, I buy a ready meal but never a 'diet' one.

When I started this WOL I decided that I would never count a calorie again but, because I spent years yo-yo dieting and counting calories, I have a pretty good idea of how many the meals I eat contain. I don't get hung up on a few calories here or there and have learned to be quite laid back about my eating. It's such a relief to not be worrying any more over every little thing that I eat or drink!

I wish you luck with your fasting and don't hesitate to ask anything you want to know. After all, we all started from the same place but just at different times. Stay strong!
18 Sep 2017, 22:10
@Sassy1
Just before I turn in have to confess with my myopic eyesight Sassy, I was misreading your tag line as saying you've been a 'mountaineer' since 2013 ha ha and was well impressed - only just got it as maintaineer - not any less impressed mind you! :lol: :oops:

Think it will be a wee bit of trial and error with seeing if I can handle some meal prep on the day or figuring I need to always have something pretty much prepared to hand. Today I had a 'sod it' moment in the supermarket and ended up getting a ready meal so that's probably a fairly good indicator methinks! :razz:

@StowgateResident
Ooh I just read your post and zoomed straight in on 'low cal chocolate drink' and something went "BING" in my head lol, will have to get me a jar of that to look forward to for an end of fast-day treat! BTW I grew up in lovely Lincolnshire (my Dad was in the RAF at Cranwell) so I know all about those delicious herby sausages :wink: :like:
19 posts Page 2 of 2