The FastDay Forum

Getting Sweaty! Exercise & Fitness

491 posts Page 32 of 33
Previous 1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 Next
Hi @Sassy1, 40km takes 75 minutes at 130 watts/20 mph, 30km just under the hour, and that is all aerobic. Giving it big licks I have done 69 minutes for 40k and been completely spent! There is a big difference in effort for 8% less time, about 50% more power!
I do put the radio on but with this aerobic training I split it into 5k sections and concentrate on maintaining steady pace, power and heart rate - and that gives me something to focus on and the time passes quite well. Going hard for an hour is a different matter completely.
These figures only apply on the Wattbike, of course, real cycling is much harder and average speeds are more like 17 mph and heart rate 135. I assume the Wattbike is set up to emulate track cycling in a velodrome. It's a good tool because it feels like a real bike but is self-contained, better than a turbo trainer although the latest computerised ones let you race your mates on the internet over classic cycling routes...

PS I invested heavily in a super-light road bike and it sure is easier - but only worth about 1 mph on the flat (hills are much better though!)
Pete
Thanks Pete, very interesting - and commendable! I have "retrieved" my lighter bike and it does save me a (very) little amount of time, but is still hard work on the hills as the gearing is higher. More practice needed!!
I have only just spotted that this thread is active again, so here's my contribution for today. I did Couch to 5K last summer and completed it but for various reasons life got in the way and I stopped through the autumn. I started back doing C25K a few weeks ago on the treadmill at the gym, I started from week 3, and today I did week 5 run 2 which is two 8 minute runs.
I’m currently doing a cross training going program. Today was full body resistance. One of those sessions where I wanted to be I’ll afterward. Glad I did it though!
Good to hear what others are doing! :smile:

I think the limit of my exercise today will be walking the dogs. We were up late and so the day was rather warm and very humid (overcast and foggy too to start). We walked for an hour and we were all very drained by the time we got back. Felt bad for the dogs...

But the fog has lifted and the blue sky looks lovely, so I am intending to have a (leisurely) swim in the sea a bit later, when the tide is further out and there are less waves!

Hope others find pleasant ways to exercise this weekend. :like:
SianS wrote: I have only just spotted that this thread is active again, so here's my contribution for today. I did Couch to 5K last summer and completed it but for various reasons life got in the way and I stopped through the autumn. I started back doing C25K a few weeks ago on the treadmill at the gym, I started from week 3, and today I did week 5 run 2 which is two 8 minute runs.

@Sian I've done C25K a few times myself and will start again. I've also found just doing intervals (1 min. walking, 30 sec running) is helpful. I always seem to have a hard time when it goes right into continuous running, so I might try to do the intervals and keep shortening the walking interval until I can run for 3 miles straight. I'm planning to do a 5K at the end of April.
Hi folks, I’m in need of getting moving and getting some muscle tone too.
I’m walking for an hour a day, around 5000 steps (I’m old with a duff right hip and knee) and I’ve acquired a 2kg dumbbell to strengthen my arms. I’ve been using soup cans, time to up the anti.
I can’t do squats or planks because of the hip/knee problems so I do what I can.
Must keep moving :smile:
I did about 35-40 minutes of weight/cardio training at the gym (no breaks) and then took the dog for a walk before work. That was after fasting yesterday so I felt pretty chuffed with myself.
I did an hours walk with the pups (it was freezing) followed by Pilates today. I need to get back on the c25k like some of you..I was up to 20 mins run time then I sold my treadmill intending to run outside :/
I did 5 sets of 8 reps of squats today and I did some more legs work after that. Felt great!
My goal is to get nice and tight abs, so for getting them I've been doing many exercises like , bicycle crunches is one of them. I do 40 reps daily.
I've started physical therapy for my back and it hurts more now than it did before. !! I got my steps in today, and did my physical therapy exercises to strengthen my core.
Hi MaryAnn - sorry to hear about your back, hope it gets less painful soon! My main ache/pain nowadays is my right thigh, which can let me run one day and struggle to walk the next - possibly a nerve getting trapped since the hip was replaced in 2017 (both hips now fake!). This has been a good week so far, though, and I just did an hour on the indoor bike because it has been too windy outside!
A trapped nerve sounds painful. Good luck!
the captain's chair leg at home :lol:
Previous 1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 Next
491 posts Page 32 of 33