The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Finding Fasting Tough.....
24 Jun 2013, 11:59
Over the past few weeks I've been finding fasting very tough, I'm at home all day with a toddler who can sometimes be very draining to look after and I'm finding I don't have the willpower to keep going on the days when I'm just too exhausted. I also find that fasting on a bad day makes me moody and snappish and doesn't leave me with the strength and patience my little girl needs. The reason I put on weight (besides my lack of exercising) was that I snack throuout my day, I'll go cupboard foraging whenever I feel the slightest niggles of hunger and its usually things like peanut butter sarnies or generally other unhealthy rubbish.

I've had a thought as to how I could get the weight loss benefits of this WoE but I just want to see what you guys think.... instead of reducing my calories 2/3 days a week, would it work if I simply ate a calorie restricted diet every day? I give myself a goal of 1300 calories/day and that spreads my reduction out. I am free to go over those calories if I want to but I then have to divide the extra calories out over the remaining days of the week so that I never go over my weekly total of 9100. This would mean I don't go hungry for a day and I'm still free to eat what I want but that I keep my calories under control. I know it means more calorie counting but I find I kind of enjoy the ritual of it and it helps me not to snack on crap as I normally do.....

Opinions? Please be gentle.....
Re: Finding Fasting Tough.....
24 Jun 2013, 12:05
You could try 16:8. there is a thread . Toddlers take a lot of energy and patience, you could try keeping healthy snacks close at hand.
24 Jun 2013, 12:09
If you do that you will be on a calorie controlled diet, so it wont be as free as this. I know how you feel as I too have a toddler and am at home. I go to sleep with him in the afternoon, that cuts down time and recharges my batteries. I also take the day in stages. I get through each phase and then think about the next. I hope this helps.

I do think though that if it is so taxing this woe might not be for you. Have you tried low carb. I have lost loads on that and it is a bit more fun than calorie restriction.

I hope you find a solution. :clover:
24 Jun 2013, 12:14
Well, I think that the many advantages of this WOE come from two aspects: 1) the severe calorie restriction on 2 days versus the generous calorie allowance on the other days and 2) the 12 hour+ periods with no calorie intake. If you were to go the 16:8 route that Merlin suggests, it would give you the second benefit if not the first (though it is possible that the 8-hour feast vs the 16 hour fast actually gives you the first benefit too but we just don't know).

If you just calorie restrict every day and allow yourself as many meals/snacks as you like, it is just like any other diet really. So, if you would prefer to stick to the intermittent fasting concept, then I would suggest you try 16:8, perhaps in combination with your idea of varying the calorie allowance each day (but within that 8-hour eating window).

As Merlin says, look for the threads on #sixteeneight
24 Jun 2013, 12:18
That's a shame to hear it's not suiting you at the moment, I fast at home on Mondays with my ten month old and I find it's my busy housework day and don't have an issue with mood. Maybe fasting isn't for you at the moment and at least it's helped you towards finding a solution. Calorie control will obviously be a different approach to losing weight, but if it suits you then go for it!
Saying that I went through a tough faze and once it was over I now find I'm not even hungry on fast days so they are now very easy, especially the Monday fast.
Good luck whatever you decide suits you best! :0)
24 Jun 2013, 12:35
Hi hopefullheart I'm sure when you really think about it 2 days it better than 7 days calorie restriction. So try to plan your 2fasts with few snacks throughout the day + yes take that nap you'll probably feel better for doing that. When I first started this woe I was actually probably having 600 calories so that maybe an option short term ( mine was by ''accident'' ) and my weight has gradually started to increase.
Could you also take a walk to the park with her that would be a triple bonus:-) your health + quality time with her+ exercise can only help.
Anything on fast day together will help to direct your thoughts elsewhere,
If you take nap you can then have oxo or cup/soup and slowly prepare evening meal. :heart: Sue
24 Jun 2013, 12:39
Maybe I should give 16:8 a proper go... then try to gradually incorporate some fasting from there. I probably just tried to jump in too fast and am obviously having a hard time going 'cold turkey'.... Is 16:8 best done alongside 5:2 or does it have effects just done on its own?

Naps would be lovely but sadly the only time I really get to do housework is during the hour or so that my little one is sleeping, lol. Besides I've done that before and daytime nasps make me feel groggy :S

Thankyou for all the suggestions, I really don't want to give up but I think I need to ease myself into fasting just to help strengthen my willpower!
24 Jun 2013, 12:49
I'm at home with a toddler too, I nap with my daughter or else at least relax while she's napping as otherwise I lose all control by 4! I also make sure we're out a lot on fast days, we go to the park, meet friends, even di the weekly food shop, anything to get me away from the kitchen until the evening!
8 posts Page 1 of 1