The FastDay Forum

Delighted or Disappointed?

23 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Ugh! plateau is now a gain!
15 Sep 2013, 12:11
I found a piece at (I think) Mark's daily apple, suggesting that under 150g carbs could be a good target for weight maintenance, so I figured that it would be suitable for feast days. I also remember from the interview with Voltek and Phinney (link in resources I think) that they said the obesity and diabetes epidemic coincided with an increase in a population wide average daily carb consumption of about 50g and so, looking at my previous average consumption I figured that 150g would represent a 50g drop.

However, Peter Attia points out that people's tolerance to carbs varies so some need to cut out more than others. My feeling is that it's worth starting by reducing your carbs by 50g and see how you respond.
15 Sep 2013, 21:41
Hi plateaumama well you seemed to have tried everything else so basically you've nothing to lose in trying to reduce your carb intake, give it your best shot :like: it kickstarted what I thought was a plateau about a month back ( I was having a few extra treats so this was the problem)
Good Luck :clover: Sue. :clover:
16 Sep 2013, 09:19
@DomDomAh ha! I found the article in Mark's Daily Apple discussing how much carbohydrate one should aim for: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-prim ... continuum/

It claims that 100-150g/day will prevent weight gain and under 100g/day will promote weight loss. Over 150g you run the risk of gradually gaining weight. Under 50g is appropriate on fast days.

I don't know how much scientific evidence there is to back up these recommendations, but it seemed a good starting point for me anyway.
16 Sep 2013, 10:02
Hi there, thanks for the ideas about reducing carb intake. I have greatly reduced my carbs like bread and pasta to almost nil. Do you all count all your veg carbs and fruit carbs as well? I will look at the article that Carorees sent as well. Thanks for all the tips!
16 Sep 2013, 13:39
Yep all carbs count towards the 150g (or 100g). But not fibre. It's worth logging your food at e.g., calorie count, my fitness pal or whatever so you can see how much carbohydrate you are consuming. As I said, some people are more sensitive to carbs than others so how much you need to reduce will depend on you.
19 Sep 2013, 06:43
hey there, just weighed in and almost fell over! I lost almost 2 pounds. I started 4:3 again last week and also really made an effort to restrict my carbs on both fast and feast days but still managed a few treats and some Indian food! So finally after many many months, I broke my plateau. Only a couple of pounds to go to my original goal. Thanks for all the tips and support!
19 Sep 2013, 06:45
That's great news! Congratulations!
19 Sep 2013, 08:02
Congratulations that's brilliant news!!!!
23 posts Page 2 of 2