The FastDay Forum

Progress Diaries & Journals

Please just one thread per member here, which you can keep updated with your progress!
If you want to celebrate reaching a goal, or commiserate over a less productive week please use the 'Delighted or Disappointed?' forum instead.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
5.2 not working for me
18 Mar 2013, 09:12
:frown: Hi. I have been doing the diet for two months, I lost 6ib in the first month, since then nothing. On a feast day I eat 1500 calories.WHAT am I doing wrong. I feel like giving up.
Re: 5.2 not working for me
18 Mar 2013, 09:35
Dorothythestitcher wrote: :frown: Hi. I have been doing the diet for two months, I lost 6ib in the first month, since then nothing. On a feast day I eat 1500 calories.WHAT am I doing wrong. I feel like giving up.

Gizza clue about your height / weight / age / exercise etc. Any medical issues like thyroid or PCOS ?

Have you seen any changes that aren't reflected by the scale, like looser clothes ?

What's your typical eating pattern on fast days, what type of foods on fast / feed days.
18 Mar 2013, 09:37
Hi Dorothy and welcome!

You might not be doing anything wrong! You had a great loss on the first month...above average so it could be that this month is just balancing things out! However, it's worth checking what your TDEE is (your estimated total daily energy expenditure) and comparing that with what you are eating on feed days. It's nest to keep your feed day average at around TDEE (it's ok to eat more some days, less on others). There are links to TDEE calculators in the FAQ (link in my signature below). Also, may I ask how you're arranging your fast days? Do you wake up, eat 500 cals over the day, sleep, wake up and eat normally? Or have you settled on a different plan?

Hopefully we can find the answer from the above!
18 Mar 2013, 09:44
Dorothy, it's been statistically proven that you loose 1/2 lb per 10 posts on this forum, so you could use that.
18 Mar 2013, 10:05
boboff wrote: Dorothy, it's been statistically proven that you loose 1/2 lb per 10 posts on this forum, so you could use that.

:lol: :lol:

So that's why I've lost all this weight!
18 Mar 2013, 10:13
Hi. I am 65 years old, not very active, eat 1400 calories a day on feast day, 550-600 on fast day. I am on medication for thyroid and blood pressure. Use my ipad for the fitness pal app. So I do keep a close eye on what I eat. Thank you all for your feedback
18 Mar 2013, 12:08
Dorothythestitcher wrote: Hi. I am 65 years old, not very active, eat 1400 calories a day on feast day, 550-600 on fast day. I am on medication for thyroid and blood pressure. Use my ipad for the fitness pal app. So I do keep a close eye on what I eat. Thank you all for your feedback

Your calorie expenditure might be around the 1400 mark, in which case if you eat 1400 on feed days and 600 on fast days your weekly deficit is 1600 cals which would take over 2 weeks to lose 1 pound.

Perhaps you need to be more strict with the 500 on fast days, earlier you said 1500 on a feast day too - if you use 1400 and eat 5 * 1500 and 2 * 600 it would take 20 weeks to lose one pound.
18 Mar 2013, 13:11
Hi Dorothy

I'm afraid the thyroid problems will result in a drastically slower weightloss than the average. There is a thread on thyroid problems here which is worth reading. As Phil says you need to reduce your feed day cals to 500. I think it might be worth considering adding an extra fast day but increasing feed day calories slightly to get a bigger difference between feast and fast days. You could try 1600 on feast days and 500 on fast days with the 4:3 format. This should theoretically give you 0.5lb/week loss, which is about what other people with thyroid problems are achieving. Somehow the bigger difference between feast and fast seems to help. Also I don't know how you are managing your calories on fast days but I would suggest you don't fast for more than 18 hours before eating something as your thyroid function can decrease further with fasting. Any exercise you can manage (even just walking around, standing up) will help.
18 Mar 2013, 13:37
Thank you for your advice.
18 Mar 2013, 13:43
On my fast days, I have 250 cals for breakfast,100 cals for lunch and 250 cals for dinner
18 Mar 2013, 14:06
Isn't that 700 cals?
19 Mar 2013, 10:17
I make that 600 calories...

Is there any way you could shave off 50 cals from the breakfast and dinners?
19 Mar 2013, 10:24
Melanie Cheeks wrote: I make that 600 calories...

now it's been edited :wink:
19 Mar 2013, 10:26
Hi, you mentioned you are not very active. Is it possible to build a bit more gentle activity into your daily routine. I found I lost quite a lot in the first month when I was walking regularly but in the last month, since going back to work, I only get out a couple of times a week and the weight loss has definitely slowed down. I am trying to avoid sitting around in the evenings and so I am doing ironing, tidying and other pottering jobs just to keep moving.
14 posts Page 1 of 1