The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

70 posts Page 4 of 5
GoLinda wrote: Digestives? Okay, so is that another word for a type of cookie? If I'm honest, it sounds like a cookie with some laxative or fiber added in. And then you throw in the word morish...is that addictive?

Yes, Digestives are made with wholemeal and yes, they are totally addictive. Especially those coated with dark chocolate. What a treat! :smile:

http://www.mcvities.co.uk/product_range/141/digestives
I still can't believe digestives are the UK's best selling biscuit. I mean who chooses digestives over all the other lovely biccies we have available? Crunch creams! Bourbons! Maryland choc chip...
Digestives are, for me, a last resort and best served with a generous spread of nutella on top!
Well at least they are the same as when we were kids, lol! I suppose that might be it - they are almost in the 'retro' category now, along with the bourbons, custard creams, arrowroot biscuits, and those ones with the spot of jam in the middle ...

.. (Unlike the chocolate bars, which seem to get altered every year - smaller, different shape, more expensive ... :frown: :curse: ) - still prefer chocolate digestives though!
Digestives really are addictive. When I lived in England, in 1994, I used to use them for everything, even for cooking (tarts bases) and when I came back in France, I used to order some English products I missed and I always ordered plain and milk chocolate digestives. Now we can find them in France, at last... It would be even better if we coulf find the tea I used to drink there... Damn I miss it....
The love of digestive biscuits is perhaps a generation thing. I love them but don't offer them to younger visitors (below 335?) but I remember my mum and aunties preferring Rich Tea as they were less rich, no pun intended. :starving:
Shame on you for having me thinking of hobnobs on a fast day!!! Is there a smiley with a pointing finger? I could use it right now...
Moogie wrote: Digestives are, for me, a last resort and best served with a generous spread of nutella on top!

Or with that chocolate Philadelphia on....instant chocolate cheesecake, mmmmm!!
I don't think it's a question of generation, I use to give them to my nephews since they were little and they love them. For me it's more because they are great put in tea or coffee and I love their nutty taste. I smash them and put them on yogurts, on fruits, they make perfect tarts bases, crumble toppings and I surely forget some...

The other biscuits I used to buy in England were chocolate chip cookies in Safeway. They were just jaw dropping.... And I went to the cinemas every week and always bought stuff I can't find here.

Damned, I have to go to England with a truck and come back with lots of goodies I so miss :grin:
Manderley,
Before you set off for England please fill the truck with cheese (the smellier the better!), red wine, Beaujolais preferred, snails, crepes, French bread, olives and saucisson. I'll meet you off the boat! :lol: :grin:
I like my digestives either dunked in tea or used as a cracker to hold cheese. I think in America they are called 'Graham Crackers'

Also.......... biscuits are French. It means 'twice baked' so biscuits and cookies are distinctly different but used for the same purpose. Sorry to be such a clever clogs :geek:
Ohh, "twice baked" Does that mean that in Italy they'd be called biscotti?
dhana do you want to add frog legs on the list ?

The grass is always greener elsewhere, I am an axcited nerd when I can find cheddar here... When I feel "homesick" I go to one of the big branch site and select all I would buy if I was there and the trolley is always about £500. Pathetic, I know....

I remember at that time (in the nineties) we bought wine in special shops not in the supermarket and it was incredibly expensive if you compare with the prices in France.Is it still the same ?

Damned I miss living in England....
I remember the first time I had frogs' legs. I felt very adventurous and they tasted like fishy rabbit/chicken. I love 'em! years since I had them :cry:
I want some steak tartare!!!
dhana wrote: Manderley,
Before you set off for England please fill the truck with cheese (the smellier the better!), red wine, Beaujolais preferred, snails, crepes, French bread, olives and saucisson. I'll meet you off the boat! :lol: :grin:

Ditto, what size truck can you get - any room for almond croissants?
:grin: :grin: :grin:
70 posts Page 4 of 5