The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

1436 posts Page 1 of 96
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 96 Next
Low Carbers Tent
05 Jan 2014, 20:32
Shall we open up the tent flaps and see what waits inside for us?
Silverdarling? Ballerina? Wildmissus? Raw kraken? Fatdog?
Re: 2014 Low Carbers Tent
05 Jan 2014, 20:37
You beat me to it! Nice one!
Just been checking on MFP and I'm usually around 65g carbs a day.
Even today, with 2 slices of Nimble toast, I'm still under 100 at 85g.
I'm also upping fat intake, by oily fish, avocados and a few nuts.
05 Jan 2014, 20:39
Can I join in too please as I'm sure lowering my carb intake is what has helped me lose 2 cm off my waist even though I'm on maintenance and not strictly 'fasting', just don't want to regain the midriff!
05 Jan 2014, 20:47
Please count me in for the party. :-)
05 Jan 2014, 20:47
:heart: Can I join you? I'm really trying to reduce my carb intake as I believe this is the answer to my water retention problem having reduced an seen a vast difference but I don't count + calculate yet perhaps I should :heart: :heart: :heart:

@Azureblue Can we have our meeting in the barn conversion the "tent" is rather cold and sounds rather common darling
05 Jan 2014, 20:54
Sue.Q wrote: :heart:

@Azureblue Can we have our meeting in the barn conversion the "tent" is rather cold and sounds rather common darling

or we could always retire to the orangery Sue! :wink:
05 Jan 2014, 20:58
Ohhhh yes! Brill idea AB!
After getting such good examples on here from low carbers,2014 is deffo the year i am goinf low carb x
Wd love to know,is about 50 g carbs per day about right? X
05 Jan 2014, 20:59
Eek a whole post just went belly-up - is there an evil Carb Fairy about maybe methinks?? :bugeyes:

Was just saying - will need all the help I can get as no idea really what 100g or 50g carbs even looks like (same as @wildmissus said earlier) but as caro says, she just makes sure she has one very low carb day a week - ie less than 100g, so I think I will try to aim for that for starters ...

Like WM I also had my main meal today without potatoes- more veg instead :victory: .... but I do need to pay attention more as I need a bit more variety to my meals as well - will be relying on peeps here for a bit of direction and a few good tips :grin:
05 Jan 2014, 21:02
PennyForthem wrote: I'm also upping fat intake, by oily fish, avocados and a few nuts.

Moi aussi @PennyForthem !
This year my body is gonna be a temple :confused:
Well it looks like a temple anyways..rather big.. :wink:
05 Jan 2014, 21:05
I'm in too please. Haven't checked my carb intake but I think it is very variable. I'm maintaining as I'm happy with my weight, lowest for many years - and lower than my original target, but I would still like to lose some belly fat so all tips gratefully received. Just checked CBB's books and the one Fat Dog likes (now out of print) Low Carb Vegetarian is showing 1 under offer at £530.05 so looks like I'll be doing without that one!

Fast day tomorrow, so it will be low carb.
:heart: So many smaller temples on the way @CandiceMarie we'll better get going then :heart:
I' m liKe you @Silverdarling i need training up on what constitutes 100 grams of carbo..
Am hoping its a whole newly baked white loaf! :razz:
05 Jan 2014, 21:07
Count me in too please - since I've started low carbing the weight loss has sped up (except when I fell off the wagon early in Dec) and I am convinced it is the way to go. Also I'm not diabetic but was heading that way (my brother is already type 2 insulin dependent and he's younger than me and I don't want to go there) and since I've started this my blood glucose is back in the normal range and it was creeping towards pre-diabetes. I generally manage 75g or under and less on fast days and I eat LOADS of food. That is a level I can do easily.
05 Jan 2014, 21:15
:heart: Hope it's a really big tent! I'm "sorta low-carb"; I generally eat small portions of lower fat chicken, fish, beans and more rarely, beef, along with lots of greens, non-starch veggies, and fruits and nuts and some plonk, of course! If I eat bread, it's as whole grain and chewy as I can get. I don't very often do sweets except for dark chocolate.

Although I initially started eating low (NO) carb to lose weight a long time ago, I couldn't ever stay with it and felt weak and tired when I was really strict for a couple of weeks. When I came back to it in my looser way of doing things, I actually lost some weight and felt better. I lost that "sluggish, draggy carb brain fog." However, until I came to 5:2, I wasn't able to lose weight in a steady down-ward way and stick with it instead of serial dieting. The combination of the intermittent fasting along with "lower" carb helped me to lose the craving and not feel deprived. This WOE is very livable. I love it! :heart: :heart: :heart:

A big part of it is doing my own cooking. I hate the way sugar in its many forms is hidden everywhere. I don't really like sweets much any more. :bugeyes: At any rate, whatever I eat has to be really tasty or I just skip it. As a result, what I do eat tastes extra good. :victory:
05 Jan 2014, 21:21
Thanks @Azureblue for starting this tent. I've been doing a bit of reading over Christmas - @FatDog's thread, The Low Carb Revolution by John MacLean and stuff on the internet about Glycemic Index.

This is my very simplistic understanding -

We eat carbs, along comes Insulin which ultimately converts it to fat.
We eat low carb, along comes glucagon to turn fat back into energy for our use.
Leptin tells us when we are satiated but our leptin levels can become low when we diet/reduce calories and low carb, which causes the famine effect. So to counteract that we have a day of non low carbing.
So we want to encourage glucagon for fat burning, to keep leptin levels high and to keep insulin levels low/level.

Also carbs by the way of sugar and refined whites have no nutritional value whatsoever, we do not need them to survive (but why do they have to taste so good :grin: ). We do however need protein, fat and fibre.

My pledge to fellow tenters is to liquid fast Mon & Thur, reduce/low carb Tues, Wed, Sun, eat as I wish Fri & Sat.

Blimey this thread is popular, 6 posts while I've been writing mine.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 96 Next
1436 posts Page 1 of 96