The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

43 posts Page 2 of 3
New vegetable ideas: B is for?
10 Feb 2014, 13:29
Took my eye off the ball there and all f a sudden, it's time for the B veggies.
Such a lovely variety:
Brussel sprouts
Broccoli
Beans - all kinds
Butternut squash

I'll start with one of my beanie favourites

Edamame and bacon salad

Edamame (soy) beans - 50g frozen shelled, or fresh
2 rashers of bacon, well grilled and then diced (you can also add/substitute chicken)
handful fresh mint leaves, diced
2 or 3 salad onions, chopped
A little diced green chilli and some raw garlic (optional)
Dressing made with olive oil and white wine (or any good) vinegar in a 3:1 ratio. I like a dollop of Dijon mustard, too. (I use a tbsp. olive oil to a tsp vinegar with 1 tsp Dijon)

Calories 335

Looking forward to seeing all your recipes

Mmm, think I'll have this tonight!!
Do you have the calorie content? Somebody on here has a recipe for beetroot and chocolate cake somewhere...now where is it?

Bean :confused:
I love all sorts of beans :smile: Recently I have made baked butter beans and kale with nigella seeds:

2 onions - peeled and chopped
2 cans of butter beans - rinsed
200g kale (I can only get the shredded stuff, so have to remove all little stalks before cooking)
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tbsp of white wine or 1 tbsp of lemon juice
6 tbsp rapeseed oil or virgin olive oil

Fry onions on 2-3 tbsp of oil until soft and golden, then add:
caraway seeds,
nigella seeds
oregano,
kale
rinsed beans,
salt to taste,
1 cup of water (or some more so it is in some sauce and doesn't burn)
Cook until kale is wilted and soft.
Then add:
white wine or lemon juice
thyme
the rest of oil and black cracked pepper to taste.

While cooking the dish on the stove pre-heat the oven to 180C.

Bake for 30mins in the oven (beans should have some crunchy skin).

EDIT: sorry for not including calories, I don't count calories! I forgot this was supposed to be a fast day meal. I guess it would be good for a fast day, but with less oil?
Bok Choy: very nice in a stir fry.
One of my favourites - beetroot!!!

I use it as a salad (just chopped into cubes with a vinaigrette dressing) or roasted as a side vegetable, or in place of a burger (mashed and mixed with lentils or beans) or in a soup, or even in chocolate cake!
Banoffee pie! Oh no - that's not a vegetable :lol: :lol: :wink:
@nursebean i think it was Julieathome on chatterbox beanie with the choc n beetroot recipe..won't be that far back,was only over the weekend i think..
Do you know,ive never tasted beetroot! I cant bring myself to try it..i think its coz ive usually seen it in vinegar which i absolutely loathe x

Ohhhh@Silverdarling why mention B pie?
I am craving choccy cake but banoffee wd do nicely right now..empty tum waiting for its 500 cals to be posted..
Yes it's a fast day for me too :bugeyes: but just been and bought some more of the Aldi Moser Roch chocolate ... :wink:
Bamboo shoots

Recently added to my traditional Thai curry recipe. Just google Thai curry with bamboo shoot and you wil get the way to treat the bamboo shoots before adding. From memory you just simmer in some water for a bit and strain before adding to Thai curry, still working on how to maintain veggies to be crisp but cooked.
what I love about this diet is it allows you to explore food without having to constantly change it to low fat or low cal. I find I'm loving cooking again.
Going to be buying beetroot this week and try the walnut rocket and feta salad.
Raw broccoli - I tried it in the states and it was lovely. But I find I can't repeat it over here and I'm off it now.
Have a good day cooking.
Jo :clover:
Beetroot, eaten at a restaurant on a Monday. It was obviously all the leftover veg from the Sunday roast. So get your leftover potatoes, diced, carrots and beetroot and panfry in butter then add dill and orange juice and reduce. It was lovely as a side dish.
Beetroot. Mmmm. Borscht! Beetroot and coconut curry!
The Chocolate and beetroot cake is here...
http://thenutritionguruandthechef.wordp ... root-cake/

It was very yummy and what is left of it is safely wrapped for my next feed day.

It worked out, with 16 slices (its a BIG cake) ate 300+kcals a slice, so not for the faint hearted. All that goodness though, just think of it as being healthy.
B' has a new thread. Can someone merge the two threads, or the B part, or should we all just copy and paste over to the B thread?

SORTED! This is the merged thread in case anyone was running around looking for the merged thread.
Beans! I've been meaning to try some of these since new years: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/29/healt ... beans&_r=0
43 posts Page 2 of 3