The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Odd dizzy feeling
24 Feb 2014, 09:53
I have not been on here for a while
I have been on 5-2 since early June when I was 98k, and reached 84k by Christmas and due to family bereavement still only at 85k now,
So have been only on a weight maintenance for a few of these weeks but not giving up completely
but my question is
Does anyone else have any dizzy feelings or light headed ness at all or feeling just strange
Not on fasting day but the day after
And it not go away until I have had something with sugar in it
I was concerned it was being caused by too much insulin as my body was used to producing it when I was over weight,
I was never diabetic but probably could have become so had I kept gaining weight
Should I go see my doctor or get my blood sugar levels checked
Thanks for your support
I am fasting today as normal
Re: Odd dizzy feeling
24 Feb 2014, 10:17
Welcome back Astro and well done on your achievements so far!
So sorry to hear of your bereavement. You're probably at quite a low ebb physically right now,so
I don't think it can do any harm to see your GP and get some blood tests done and make sure all your levels are right,get them fixed if not. X be gentle and kind with yourself at this difficult time for you. X
24 Feb 2014, 10:28
Thank you for your reply
I know my blood pressure is correct as it was checked last week, before 5-2 I was border line high blood pressure.
I am trying to think when this feeling started and think it's only about 5/6 weeks ago
It's a very strange feeling I can't be more specific about how I feel.
I had managed to give up chocolate and sweets completely when I started my 5-2
And still kept off it mostly over Xmas but had started eating it again with the family stress
Isn't it funny that we turn to something that basically is not good for us in times of stress
I don't drink alcohol or smoke so it's my only support lol
I will continue to maintain fast until I feel better about the family loss
24 Feb 2014, 10:28
yes, I think your diagnosis is correct. It is likely that your body is running on its glycogen stores and not using much fat so by the day after the fast you're running out of glycogen. High insulin will do this, but fasting does lower insulin, especially if you avoid carbs throughout the fast.

Stress raises cortisol which acts to prevent fat burning in order to keep the body running on glycogen which provides energy faster. So stress makes fasting harder and also weight loss.

So, yes, be gentle on yourself while you are so stressed.

A doctor visit might be a good idea too.

Good luck!
24 Feb 2014, 10:41
Yes thank you for your help
My concern was that if I give up too much
I won't have the control to start again
Which really worries me
I was never a great dieter and this diet has transformed me in a way I just can't believe would ever happen
I had given up the thought of ever being a proper weight again
I (crying now) am so pleased I lost the weight I did and my sister who died got to see me slimmer before she passed
I am in limbo I guess knowing what to do
Do you think it would be a good idea to still fast for 2 days but to raise my intake for those days to 700 or so and do my best not to over eat on my other days
Just so I still feel in control but still allowing my self to be gentle on myself
24 Feb 2014, 14:00
Sounds like a good plan. Try it and see whether it makes a difference. That's the beauty of IF: you can play around with your fasting method to see what suits at any particular time. And your method can change as often as you need it to! I think that having a day or two per week where you don't need to be careful is important, even if that means doing more fasting to allow the weekend splurge! The periods of being carefree are good for our mood, sustainability of the diet and may even be beneficial by preventing metabolic slow down.
24 Feb 2014, 14:56
I am so sorry for your loss. I think Carorees gave great advice, so I'll just second it.
24 Feb 2014, 18:12
Have felt guilty about not losing any real weight these last few weeks
But guess I shouldn't beat my self up and be kind to myself while I grieve
And will follow a higher calorie count on my two fast days and be less strict on them
Then hope this odd dizzy feeling starts to go
24 Feb 2014, 20:22
Oh my goodness, please don't feel guilty. You have quite enough to deal with right now, for which I am really sorry. Don't add to your burden with worries about weightloss. It is brilliant that you are starting to think again about a plan & anything you choose to do will help, so well done for that.

Be as kind as you can be to yourself & above all, cut yourself a little slack by going with the flow. We are all here to listen & help in whatever way we can.

Take care xx

:rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
24 Feb 2014, 21:30
Hello @Astrobelles

I am so sorry to hear of your loss and I support the advice given too.

Always make sure you drink plenty of water every day. I have lots of cups of tea on fast days, like @Debs, if in doubt brew up!

Take your time, we are here, so keep in touch and let us know how we can help. Fast day is a good place to be. :smile:

Lizbean :heart:
24 Feb 2014, 22:30
Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts
I make sure I drink at least 1 litre of plain water a day, on both diet days and ordinary days also
I try to drink plenty of other liquids also but don't drink tea and keep away from coffee on my fast days, but I have oxo in hot water instead, or a treat of a zero coke although I dont usually drink it.

I thought I was being strong and keeping in control and kept fasting over the past few weeks but found I was over eating chocolate on other days so hence doing myself no favours
But this strange dizzy ness was beginning to worry me and coincides with my sisters death, so think it's the sugar excess, the fasting days were and still are easy but it's the days after that cause the problems.

Anyway today I started on my fast but since posting on here have decided to leave it for 2 weeks and start again after the funeral next week

Thank you again for your support i feel better for giving myself some time off
You are all great people thank you
25 Feb 2014, 05:48
Just adding my thoughts and good wishes to you. Treat yourself as you would treat others in the same situation.
(hug)
12 posts Page 1 of 1