The FastDay Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Our Frequently Asked Questions topic will answer many of your fasting & weight loss questions!

If you're new and have a question or need some advice, please give us as much information as you can about your situation in order for us to be able to help you as best we can. For example, it's helpful to know your BMI/weight, how much you want to lose, any medical conditions which might affect your weight and (if you've started fasting already) how you do your fasts in terms of splitting up your calories, what you eat etc. Thanks!

15 posts Page 1 of 1
New to 5:2 & Forums!
01 Mar 2014, 14:07
Hi I am nearly 44 and have put on about a stone over the past year, I am currently following a fairly "clean" diet but the weight is just not budging! I have just read an interview on Philip Schofield & he mentioned doing the 5:2 and spoke very positively, I am so fed up of looking at my big wobbly body I figured I should give it a go too! An tips for a starter would be very gratefully accepted. P. s I am 5' 6" and currently weigh 10st 8lbs :o(
Re: New to 5:2 & Forums!
01 Mar 2014, 14:26
Hello Cakegirl. 52 definitely works. There is really no magic in it just fast two nonconsecutive days and eat sensibly the other 5 and you create a calorie deficit= weight loss. Read the bubbles above and check into forum a lot for motivation etc. Best of luck!
01 Mar 2014, 14:35
Thank you x
01 Mar 2014, 14:47
Hello and welcome, you have come to the right place. One thing to remember us that we are all different, you may lose weight quickly or like me, very, VERY slowly but don't give up, it WORKS

Ballerina x :heart:
01 Mar 2014, 14:49
Everyone is an individual so there are many ideas for success here. I am just getting back to 52 after a break. What worked for me was to be consistent with the days I fasted and eliminating white carbs. I feel whole nutritious food helps too. My fast went from 6pm to 6pm. Just h2o, tea, coffee for 24 hours. Some have small breakfast/lunch but for me it led me to failure. I only weighed myself once a week. Also took measurements of neck,bicep wrist bust waist hip thigh. Several months later I measured again and was amazed to see whers the fat disappeared from. I think the measurement is very helpful so when thw weight loss seems slow you can see just how 52 is making a difference in your body.
01 Mar 2014, 16:33
:heart: Hi @Cakegirl And Welcome :heart:
You've found yourself the best WOL and forum
combined together and you'll lose your unwanted pounds in no time at all providing you keep to the very simple rules of 500 cals on just 2 days each week then eating carefully on your normal days in any which way you want to but for me personally that's evening meal only because I actually become more hungry once I eat so I make use of my still high TDEE and make a 2 course meal by way of a reward for going the 24hrs and this filling meal then keeps me out of the kitchen and away from the fridge later
in the evenings.
Personally I seem to be stuck at this moment in time and all I can do is sit it out and wait for my body to get the message again and although this is boring and almost
time wasting
Well I can't praise this WOL highly enough its proving an amazing way to lose the weight and after my 50lbs lost in eight months last year I can't complain that my body
is resting up. Lol :heart: Sue
01 Mar 2014, 16:40
Cakegirl wrote: Hi I am nearly 44 and have put on about a stone over the past year, I am currently following a fairly "clean" diet but the weight is just not budging! I have just read an interview on Philip Schofield & he mentioned doing the 5:2 and spoke very positively, I am so fed up of looking at my big wobbly body I figured I should give it a go too! An tips for a starter would be very gratefully accepted. P. s I am 5' 6" and currently weigh 10st 8lbs :o(

Hi @Cakegirl...just DO it and you won't be wobbly much longer.....good luck. :clover:
01 Mar 2014, 17:35
Hi cake girl and welcome! Any help or advice you need just ask and someone is bound to know the answer. When are you planning on doing your first fast? Think it's always best to plan in advance what you will eat and drink in advance. Best of luck!
01 Mar 2014, 18:24
Hi and welcome. I started at 10st 7lb (5'4") and am now at my target of 9st and learning how to maintain. Everyone here tries different methods but we all support each other and make gentle suggestions.

It took me 9.5 months and I am toying with the idea of losing a bit more, maybe another 7lb but for now I am enjoying where I am.

My weightloss was very slow, averaging half a pound per week. Having said that, I have never felt as though I have missed out and still managed to lose weight. I weigh every day and track the results on the True Weight app, the trend line goes down a bit, down a bit, down a bit, up a bit, down a bit, down a bit, down a bit etc......... taking holidays and Christmas into consideration (have a look at my tracker where I log weekly on a Tuesday) It is really important to keep an eye on your caloric intake on non fast days at first, maybe use my fitness pal for a while so that you have a clear idea of portion sizes. My downfall was matching bite for bite my 6'2 DH for years. Doh!!!!

I find that I have to steer clear of my beloved white carbs. It took me a long time to realise that and the thought of soup without bread etc was unthinkable but it seems normal now. I eat chicken or fish with a big pile of salad or veg for dinner now, fast day or nit and have tried lots of different ways of jazzing up veggies. I also eat in an 8 hour window on non fast days (skip breakfast) easy peasy!

I have only green or herb teas all day on a fast day then a normal dinner of chicken or fish and salad or veg, then a cup of two of chai with coconut milk in the evening.

Hope that's not too much for you to take in just now. Start off by doing your own thing and see how you get on. Look on the threads for ideas and ask as many questions as you like. We are all such fans of this way of eating that we all want to shout it from the rooftops!!

My stand bys when I first started were bovril at 'lunchtime', a 10 calorie jelly after dinner and a 40 calorie hot chocolate at bed time. I found that I didn't need them after a short while but I do sometimes have the bovril at lunchtime, probably because it's winter and it feels right.

Anyway, sorry I have gone on so much. Hope it helps and hope you enjoy this way of eating and joining in here with not only the advice and support but the general hilarity here (especially in the tents)

Good Luck
01 Mar 2014, 18:31
Good luck cakegirl! X Keep calling in here,and read up.it will keep you focused!
01 Mar 2014, 19:02
Hello @cakegirl and welcome. I joined 8 weeks ago and this WOL works for me. In fact it has made me and very happy person. :smile: :smile: I fast Mon and Thursday and only weigh on Friday. I don't calorie count when I cook - I just use my common sense and that seems to be working for now. When I buy food eg tub of olives I do look at the calories (first time in my life I have read the calories, normally I just look at the list of ingredients). I have cut out bread, rice, potatoes and pasta and I don't miss them at all. I also pop in twice a day to see what's happening. I did spend days and days reading all the great information on the site and that really helped me to get 5:2 underway.

That's how it works for me. It's a bit like buying a new dress, find the way that fits for you. Hope that helps and good luck with your fasting. :clover:

Lizbean :smile:
01 Mar 2014, 19:24
Hi @Cakegirl and welcome!! I can't begin to tell you how good this way of eating is. I've recently upped my game to fasting every other day which I find much easier, surprisingly, than 5:2...but that's just me :wink:

Anyway, you've chosen well. You really can't go wrong with this way of eating and I'm sure it won't be long before you are a stone lighter :smile:

All the best xx

Bean :snail:
02 Mar 2014, 18:56
Thank you so much am gearing myself up to start the 5:2 from tomorrow x
02 Mar 2014, 19:04
What's 16:8? And on the fasting days veg etc counted as calorific? Thank you in advance for all your help and advice x
02 Mar 2014, 19:11
Hi

16:8 is eating only in an 8 hour window, if you look at Ballerina's post above she has a link to her 16:8 thread there.

In reply to your other question, ALL calories count on a Fast day and that includes vegetables, but you can eat a HUGE quantity of low calorie veg for your 500 calories
15 posts Page 1 of 1